Re: Can I use VOIP phone on my network with Skype ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gordon Henderson, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    Jethro <> wrote:
    >Hi all
    >
    >our LAN is also our VOIP network. My PC has one IP address, my phone
    >(grandstream) another. Can I connect the two in software somehow so my PC
    >Skpe can drive/use the phone. That way I can avoid the need for a separate
    >headset for the PC

    Not easilly.

    Your Grandstream phone uses an industry standard, open and published
    protocol called SIP. Skype uses it's own proprietary and closed
    protocol. The two don't mix[1].

    Gordon

    [1] Actually, there is a Skype module for Astersk that could in-theroy
    allow you to call a Skype number from your Grandstream phone, via a
    local asterisk server, but I suspect it's more than you want to do to
    make this work.

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 28, 2008

  2. Gordon Henderson

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:07:36 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Jethro <> wrote:
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>our LAN is also our VOIP network. My PC has one IP address, my phone
    >>(grandstream) another. Can I connect the two in software somehow so my PC
    >>Skpe can drive/use the phone. That way I can avoid the need for a separate
    >>headset for the PC

    >Not easilly.
    >
    >Your Grandstream phone uses an industry standard, open and published
    >protocol called SIP. Skype uses it's own proprietary and closed
    >protocol. The two don't mix[1].
    >
    >Gordon
    >
    >[1] Actually, there is a Skype module for Astersk that could in-theroy
    >allow you to call a Skype number from your Grandstream phone, via a
    >local asterisk server, but I suspect it's more than you want to do to
    >make this work.

    I'll give you 3 options:-

    As Gordon says, 'not easily'. However, if you are reasonably
    technically apt, you could take a look at a piece of software called
    'Sippy Skype'. It is Java based so it is cross-platform.

    I am not familiar with the various Grandstream phones but, if yours
    has a standard PSTN connection as well, there is a hardware device,
    sold by Maplin, for about £15, that can interface a computer, running
    Skype, to a standard analogue phone. It could act as a PSTN landline
    connection.

    Perhaps you could look at why you need Skype. Is this to facilitate
    calls from people who are abroad for example? If you could enlarge on
    that and, from that, we might be able to make suggestions of how you
    might proceed, without Skype, as there are lots of SIP solutions that
    might be drawn on.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---