Re: Can film scanners do 16mm?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Bartram, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Paul Bartram

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "WoodyMatthew3" <> wrote

    > I know the Minolta Dimage Multi scanners can scan 16mm film in strips, etc

    but
    > does anyone know that if a piece of 16mm film was mounted into a 35mm

    slide
    > using 2 or 3 frames of film to fit inside the white slide frame----would

    that
    > work in film scanners made specifically for 35mm slides?

    > Or would there be too much light coming in from the sides of the 16mm film
    > inside the 35mm slide frame causing image flaws or distortions?

    I've even managed to scan Standard 8 cine frames in a Nikon LS1000. It's not
    what you'd call easy, but if you really want to do it, you can.

    Use a slide mount that has glass in it. I bought a packet of 50 many years
    ago (no idea if they are still available). Mount the piece of film in that
    (assuming you don't mind cutting the piece out of the reel) centred in the
    mount, with a piece of black / blank negative either side of it. Obviously,
    it all has to be dust and fingerprint free (not easy).

    If you don't want to cut a short piece out each time, I guess it would be
    very difficult because of the way these film scanners load - Nikon does do a
    roll film adapter, but it's not designed for a dirty great 16mm reel!

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Sep 4, 2003