Re: Can a video card cause damage to a monitor?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by reetix, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. reetix

    reetix Guest

    "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message
    > Got a customer with a 1 year old PC Company 17" monitor who bought an
    > Albatron MX440 video card from us. A few days after, the monitor started
    > making a crackling electrical sound, and also produced a burning type of
    > smell. Although the monitor still works, the sounds and smells continue

    (of
    > course i switched it off immediatly). The resolution was low.
    >
    > The customer seems convinced that somehow the video card is the direct

    cause
    > of this fault, although i have plugged his computer in to another monitor
    > and it hasn't caught fire yet.
    >
    > Any electrical technicians here wanna give their opinion? It would be

    grealy
    > appreciated.

    Are you able to test the same video card on another monitor of the same
    type?
    reetix, Aug 28, 2003

  2. > news:3f4be679$...
    > > Got a customer with a 1 year old PC Company 17" monitor who bought an
    > > Albatron MX440 video card from us. A few days after, the monitor started
    > > making a crackling electrical sound, and also produced a burning type of
    > > smell. Although the monitor still works, the sounds and smells continue

    > (of
    > > course i switched it off immediatly). The resolution was low.
    > >
    > > The customer seems convinced that somehow the video card is the direct

    > cause
    > > of this fault, although i have plugged his computer in to another

    monitor
    > > and it hasn't caught fire yet.
    > >
    > > Any electrical technicians here wanna give their opinion? It would be

    > grealy
    > > appreciated.

    > Are you able to test the same video card on another monitor of the same
    > type?

    No i doubt the PC Company would come to the party on that one.

    I showed them their computer plugged in to another monitor, which didn't
    fault. They took the 17" back to the PC Company.

    Phew :)

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Aug 28, 2003