Re: Can a video card cause damage to a monitor?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Stephen Williams wrote:
    > Got a customer with a 1 year old PC Company 17" monitor who bought an
    > Albatron MX440 video card from us. A few days after, the monitor
    > started making a crackling electrical sound, and also produced a
    > burning type of smell. Although the monitor still works, the sounds
    > and smells continue (of course i switched it off immediatly). The
    > resolution was low.
    >
    > The customer seems convinced that somehow the video card is the
    > direct cause of this fault, although i have plugged his computer in
    > to another monitor and it hasn't caught fire yet.
    >
    > Any electrical technicians here wanna give their opinion? It would be
    > grealy appreciated.

    If the video card is really toasted (Ie. someone has soldered a metal bar
    across all of the tracks :)) then you could get lots of power going through
    the cable. Otherwise, the only way to do it would be to try to drive the
    monitor at a far higher refresh rate than it can handle.

    Either way, it probably isn't the video card's fault.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Nicholas Sherlock

    Paul Guest

    I know some AGP cards can
    fry, and burn out the motherboard
    as well, if you put the wrong voltage AGP
    card in. ie: If you try and put a
    3.3v into a 1.5v AGP slot. BUT most
    modern PC's will switch off
    or wont go at all. If this ever happens.

    I know ASUS mobos have this feature.

    NOT too sure if other mobos do.

    Paul, Aug 27, 2003