Re: Can a router be 'infected'?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ~BD~, May 20, 2009.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "BD2" <>
    >
    > | Here is a quote made recently by MVP PABear in a Microsoft newsgroup:-
    >
    > | "It *is* his computer and it was yours, too. The infection you had also
    > | "infected" the router."
    >
    > | Please will someone explain exactly how this can happen and how to check
    > | that one's router is 'clean'?
    >
    > | Thanks.
    > | --
    > | Dave
    >
    > An off the shelf SOHO Router can NOT become "infected" it can become compramised. Robear
    > Dyer used the wrong terminology.
    >
    > A DNSChanger Trojan can use a dictionary attack on a given SOHO Router and if the default
    > password has NOT been set to a strong password then the DNS Server table can be changed
    > and malaicious DNS servers, such as 85.255.x.y, may be inserted in the DNS Server table
    > redirecting LAN nodes to malicious sites.
    >
    > The Router itself can not be "infected" such there is malware now running on that
    > appliance. It becomes compromised where it acts on behalf of the malicious actor's
    > desires by altering its settings.

    You said "Robear Dyer used the wrong terminology".

    Will you post in that thread and tell him so? If not - why not?

    Should you *not* wish to correct him (so notifying the OP as well) I
    trust you have no objection to me posting there and quoting exactly what
    you have said here, David.

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, May 20, 2009