Re: Can a router be 'infected'?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Martin, May 19, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    BD2 wrote:
    > Here is a quote made recently by MVP PABear in a Microsoft newsgroup:-
    >
    > "It *is* his computer and it was yours, too. The infection you had also
    > "infected" the router."
    >
    > Please will someone explain exactly how this can happen and how to check
    > that one's router is 'clean'?

    Yes routers can become infected. It's not going to be the same infection
    that would infect a computer though. The usual way is that the owner
    didn't change the default username/password and has admin control
    allowable from the internet.

    Then the malware can be installed into the router allowing the remote
    user to gain access to the internal network. Or even just setting up a
    PPTP connection or something that the user doesn't know about. Both are
    possible.

    How to tell? I don't know that you could unless you can get the digest
    of the firmware build and check it against the suppliers website. Keep
    an eye out for strange incoming connections to your PC. Rebuild the
    router and lock it down.

    I don't think the computer infection would infect the router, totally
    different beasts.

    Martin, May 19, 2009

  2. Martin

    ~BD~ Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > BD2 wrote:
    >> Here is a quote made recently by MVP PABear in a Microsoft newsgroup:-
    >>
    >> "It *is* his computer and it was yours, too. The infection you had
    >> also "infected" the router."
    >>
    >> Please will someone explain exactly how this can happen and how to check
    >> that one's router is 'clean'?

    > Yes routers can become infected. It's not going to be the same infection
    > that would infect a computer though. The usual way is that the owner
    > didn't change the default username/password and has admin control
    > allowable from the internet.
    >
    > Then the malware can be installed into the router allowing the remote
    > user to gain access to the internal network. Or even just setting up a
    > PPTP connection or something that the user doesn't know about. Both are
    > possible.
    >
    > How to tell? I don't know that you could unless you can get the digest
    > of the firmware build and check it against the suppliers website. Keep
    > an eye out for strange incoming connections to your PC. Rebuild the
    > router and lock it down.
    >
    > I don't think the computer infection would infect the router, totally
    > different beasts.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> --
    >> Dave

    Thank you for your reply, Martin (and thanks to other respondents too)

    Essential information about your web browser may be found here:-
    http://www.browserreport.com/

    If you visit, you will note that much more information than you might
    think is given away. Perhaps other sites can even identify one's SOHO
    router too.

    Armed with such information it might be relatively straight-forward to
    automate an attack on the router.

    Just a thought!
    --
    Dave