Re: Camera Suggestions Anyone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Apr 7, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:19:39 PM UTC-5, chandler wrote:
    > On Mar 23 2012 7:00 AM, chandler wrote:
    >
    > > Some advice needed, please. I'm about 97% tourist and 3% photographer.
    > > Which is to say I like to carry a camera around, but mostly have no clue
    > > about what I am doing. I "upgraded" an old sd1000 a while ago with the
    > > Sony HX5V and it was an improvement in many ways. Longer wider lense.
    > > Faster. Nice display. It did a few tricks. Picture quality was a
    > > disappointment, though. Surprised me, given the better sensor on the
    > > sony. I didn't think I was an image nazi... So I'm looking for a
    > > replacement.
    > >
    > > Requirements: Small enough to put in a big loose pocket (cargo
    > > shorts/jacket) and able to take a decent photo if I choose to display a
    > > shot on the wall. Must be at least fast by point and shoot standards.
    > >
    > > My first thoughts were to go back to Canon. A G12 or something. Small
    > > enough with some nice features and good photos, but the speed seems really
    > > slow. My solution was to look at some mirrorless cameras, but a lot of
    > > these literally stretch the pocket requirement with a modest zoom lense
    > > attached.
    > >
    > > I thought about the the EPL3. A little big, but the lense options for
    > > micro four thirds is a plus. Don't know anything about sensor shift.
    > >
    > > I thought about GF3. Bigger still with the lens. No tilting LCD or
    > > hotshoe, but I can live with that. I had some hope when I saw a
    > > miraculously small zoom lens was being offered by Panasonic, but the
    > > reviews I have seen are not good.
    > >
    > > The new Nikon (J1?) is small enough, but I'm wondering how the smaller
    > > sensor and lens is going to affect photos.
    > >
    > > The NEX5N with lenses just look too big. Almost might as well be carrying
    > > a DSLR....
    > >
    > > Ideas, anyone? On these or other possibilities.
    > >
    > > Chandler
    > >
    > > -----

    > I know all other conversation has stopped. I may be too late and several
    > have died from over curiosity all ready. heads exploded from raw
    > unrelenting anticipation... Saw an EPL 1 with the 14-42 for $200 and
    > decided to try it out for size. Literally. If I like it I'll step up to
    > a mirrorless that's speedier and more up to date. Something like the G12,
    > Olympus xz-1 or Panasonic LX5 may be more in my wheelhouse if it becomes a
    > pita to haul around. TY all.
    >

    > Chandler

    You might want to look at the Canon S100, too.
    otter, Apr 7, 2012

  2. otter

    otter Guest

    On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:54:18 AM UTC-5, chandler wrote:
    > On Apr 7 2012 3:33 AM, otter wrote:

    > really

    > carrying

    > > > I know all other conversation has stopped. I may be too late and several
    > > > have died from over curiosity all ready. heads exploded from raw
    > > > unrelenting anticipation... Saw an EPL 1 with the 14-42 for $200 and
    > > > decided to try it out for size. Literally. If I like it I'll step up to
    > > > a mirrorless that's speedier and more up to date. Something like theG12,
    > > > Olympus xz-1 or Panasonic LX5 may be more in my wheelhouse if it becomes a
    > > > pita to haul around. TY all.
    > > >

    > > > Chandler
    > > >
    > > > _____________________________________________________________________

    > > You might want to look at the Canon S100, too.

    > Yeah, the s100 looks good. a little wider than the s95, which is one
    > thing I've learned to like about my old Sony P&S. I'll see if I can
    > borrow one from a Canon rep I know. The real test for whether the size of
    > a mirrorless works for me will be Jazz Fest. I'll have it strapped to me
    > in crowds for probably 10 or more hours at a time.

    Is that the one in New Orleans? That looks pretty good. I'm tempted to head over there for a weekend. Looking at the FAQ, it says no video or audiorecording, but doesn't say anything about prohibiting DSLRs (or "professional cameras", as some concerts call them). I may really have to go.

    What days are you planning to attend?
    otter, Apr 12, 2012

  3. otter

    otter Guest

    On Friday, April 13, 2012 7:13:54 AM UTC-5, chandler wrote:
    > Make sure you have a place to stay if you come. A
    > lot of places are completely booked during jazz fest. The town is packed.

    Yeah, that could be a problem. I'm still at the "considering" stage, but will need to make sure I don't end up sleeping in my car. Or I can take my wife's van...
    otter, Apr 13, 2012