Re: Camera Suggestions Anyone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Fred McKenzie, Mar 24, 2012.

  1. In article <>,
    "chandler" <> wrote:

    > My first thoughts were to go back to Canon. A G12 or something. Small
    > enough with some nice features and good photos, but the speed seems really
    > slow.

    Chandler-

    I have a Canon G11, and recently upgraded to the G1X. My first
    impression is one of disappointment. In spite of all the improvements,
    I miss the G11's wider zoom range and the ability to take closeup photos.

    The G1X closest focus distance is about 7 inches zoomed to wide angle,
    while the G11 can focus as close as one centimeter. That is close
    enough for a single key on my keyboard to nearly fill the screen. It is
    very handy to be able to use the camera for photographing or copying
    small things.

    I would not have been satisfied if I had just gotten a G12, but it may
    have been a better choice for my needs. And I might have gotten a good
    deal on a G12, now that its replacement is out.

    Slow speed should not be a problem with the extreme high ISO capability.
    At least the G11 could take useable pictures when the light was so dim I
    could hardly see!

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Mar 24, 2012

  2. In article <2012032320234180278-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > I don't understand why you didn't hang onto the G11, I never saw a need
    > to upgrade to the G12.

    My G11 had a tendency to exaggerate skin tones. For example, if someone
    was blushing, the bright pink skin looked a bit unnatural in the
    resulting photo. Otherwise I had no complaints.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Mar 24, 2012

  3. Fred McKenzie

    Robert Coe Guest

    : Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    :
    : > I don't understand why you didn't hang onto the G11, I never saw
    : > a need to upgrade to the G12.
    :
    : My G11 had a tendency to exaggerate skin tones. For example, if
    : someone was blushing, the bright pink skin looked a bit unnatural
    : in the resulting photo. Otherwise I had no complaints.

    If you shoot RAW, you should be able to correct that in post-processing by
    turning down the ambient color temperature a couple hundred degrees.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 24, 2012
  4. Fred McKenzie

    otter Guest

    On Friday, March 23, 2012 10:04:10 PM UTC-5, Fred McKenzie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "chandler" <> wrote:
    >
    > > My first thoughts were to go back to Canon. A G12 or something. Small
    > > enough with some nice features and good photos, but the speed seems really
    > > slow.

    > Chandler-
    >
    > I have a Canon G11, and recently upgraded to the G1X. My first
    > impression is one of disappointment. In spite of all the improvements,
    > I miss the G11's wider zoom range and the ability to take closeup photos.
    >
    > The G1X closest focus distance is about 7 inches zoomed to wide angle,
    > while the G11 can focus as close as one centimeter. That is close
    > enough for a single key on my keyboard to nearly fill the screen. It is
    > very handy to be able to use the camera for photographing or copying
    > small things.
    >
    > I would not have been satisfied if I had just gotten a G12, but it may
    > have been a better choice for my needs. And I might have gotten a good
    > deal on a G12, now that its replacement is out.
    >
    > Slow speed should not be a problem with the extreme high ISO capability.
    > At least the G11 could take useable pictures when the light was so dim I
    > could hardly see!
    >
    > Fred

    That's good to know about the macro capabilities of the G1X. I noticed that mentioned in other reviews as well. I guess there are always tradeoffs.

    I'm a little surprised about your statement that the G11 could take useablepictures in low light. To me, the G12 is horrible in low light, and it isessentially the same as the G11 in this regard, right?

    So how do you feel about the image quality of the G1X vs G11? That's what matters to me most, and the reason I'm considering getting on. I'm very impressed with the pictures I've seen posted so far.

    Many events prohibit cameras with removable lenses, which is one reason I'dlike to get this. I'm concerned about the speed of the lens, but the quality at high ISO looks very good, from what I've seen in the reviews. Much better than the G12, I'd say. Would you agree?
    otter, Mar 24, 2012
  5. In article
    <31221043.48.1332605945425.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynlp3>,
    otter <> wrote:

    > I'm a little surprised about your statement that the G11 could take useable
    > pictures in low light. To me, the G12 is horrible in low light, and it is
    > essentially the same as the G11 in this regard, right?
    >
    > So how do you feel about the image quality of the G1X vs G11? That's what
    > matters to me most, and the reason I'm considering getting on. I'm very
    > impressed with the pictures I've seen posted so far.

    I'm surprised your G12 does not do so well in low light, although it may
    depend on camera settings. I believe the G12 is nearly identical to the
    G11 in that respect. I do not recall the differences other than the
    ability of the G12 to use a newer version of the SD card.

    I'm just getting started with the G1X. Today was the first time I've
    had a chance to get out and take pictures of people at a club outing in
    a park. One thing that impressed me was that photos of people under a
    shelter, seem to be well exposed in spite of a strong sunlit background.

    That brings up another thing that bugs me about the G1X. It has a
    pop-up flash located where I normally have a finger holding the camera.
    The flash does not pop up automatically when needed, so most of the
    photos today were taken without flash. I tried a few with the flash
    forced to fire, just to see how it would work.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Mar 24, 2012
  6. Fred McKenzie <> wrote:

    > The G1X closest focus distance is about 7 inches zoomed to wide angle,
    > while the G11 can focus as close as one centimeter.

    The distance to the object is not very relevant. In fact, the
    further away with the same magnification, the better:
    - the camera doesn't block the light with it's body
    - the background is magnified higher for the same object size in
    the image and thus is more blurred
    - insects and other living, shy objects aren't running or flying
    away from the camera

    And at macro distances the crop factor doesn't apply.

    Not for nothing the usual, real macro lenses are from 50mm
    to 200mm.

    > That is close
    > enough for a single key on my keyboard to nearly fill the screen.

    That *is* relevant.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 26, 2012