Re: Camera JPEG engines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Martin Brown, Nov 20, 2012.

  1. Martin Brown

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 18/11/2012 23:33, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
    > today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
    > RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?
    >
    > My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
    > bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
    > only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

    There never was much wrong with the JPEG engines in cameras from the
    outset. There were often cruder than ideal approximations for in camera
    Bayer demosaic to cope with the very limited DSP vs power consumption.

    JPEG encoders have always been pretty decent. The problem way back when
    was that flash memory was still very expensive and the encoders were set
    up to use rather aggressive quantisation tables. Kodaks original "Best"
    setting was roughly equal to IJG Q=85 whereas these days the "High
    quality" setting is more like IJG Q=95 to 98 depending on brand.

    One maker for some models actually uses IJG Q=100 - very wasteful
    (ie the quantisation tables are all identically 1)

    It is debatable whether pushing Q past 95 gains anything meaningful on
    real noisy photographic images - just makes a much larger file.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Nov 20, 2012