Re: Camera JPEG engines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Nov 19, 2012.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 19/11/2012 10:33 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
    > today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
    > RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?
    >
    > My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
    > bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
    > only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

    I only shoot JPG and only in exceptional circumstances will make a RAW
    or HDR file. Can't afford the card/HDD space. I will only get ~1400
    fine JPG images on a 32Gb card. NEF 12 bit lossless make 32mb 14bit
    lossless make 41MB files and a large tiff 108.2 Mb.

    As for as I can tell my JPG images have enough information to make large
    prints.

    Rob, Nov 19, 2012

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 20/11/2012 1:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-19 14:45:10 -0800, Rob <> said:
    >
    >> On 19/11/2012 10:33 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>> I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
    >>> today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
    >>> RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?
    >>>
    >>> My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
    >>> bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
    >>> only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.
    >>>

    >> I only shoot JPG and only in exceptional circumstances will make a RAW
    >> or HDR file. Can't afford the card/HDD space.

    > Memory is cheap!
    > If you could afford the camera you should easily be able to afford one
    > more 32GB card. 1TB of HDD space is quite affordable.
    > Your camera has support needs, you should provide them.

    I now have 8x 32Gb Sandisk Extreme cards for my trips. $40 each - I
    don't carry a laptop, too heavy.

    Just bought a 3Tb external HDD today quite cheap at $149.00 that should
    see me out for the next 12 months at least :)

    >> I will only get ~1400 fine JPG images on a 32Gb card. NEF 12 bit
    >> lossless make 32mb 14bit lossless make 41MB files and a large tiff
    >> 108.2 Mb.

    > "ONLY ~1400 fine JPEGS"!!
    >
    > If those are from a single shoot you have management issues far greater
    > than the cost of card/HDD space

    No its not management issues its a finger problem, Fine JPEG file is on
    average 20Mb (that is dependent on the content as you are aware.)

    Its a Nikon camera.

    > Buy a few extra cards and shoot RAW, and RAW+JPEG more often. If you are
    > using cards for storage of 1400 JPEGs you have a faulty storage
    > protocol. I don't know what type of shooting you do, but personally, if
    > I spend a day at a target rich event I find that I might have shot
    > 750-1200 NEFs, but a more typical figure is 200-350. Then on a local
    > stroll I might only shoot 20-30 shots.
    >
    > I always transfer to computer and my triple redundant backup setup. Once
    > that is done I reformat the card.
    >
    >> As for as I can tell my JPG images have enough information to make
    >> large prints.

    > They probably do, but I somehow think you might not be printing 1400 of
    > them from a single shoot.

    No but I don't get to go places all the time so I take quite a few
    images when I travel - 7000 images last time - I scabbed a few good ones
    though :) Next trip is for 2 weeks.

    Rob, Nov 20, 2012

  3. Rob

    David Taylor Guest

    On 20/11/2012 07:02, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <k8f3p2$3ml$>, Rob says...
    >> No but I don't get to go places all the time so I take quite a few
    >> images when I travel - 7000 images last time

    > It must take forever to process all these images.

    So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
    having to post-process!
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Nov 20, 2012
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 20/11/2012 4:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-19 21:17:03 -0800, Rob <> said:

    >>> Memory is cheap!
    >>> If you could afford the camera you should easily be able to afford one
    >>> more 32GB card. 1TB of HDD space is quite affordable.
    >>> Your camera has support needs, you should provide them.
    >>>

    >> I now have 8x 32Gb Sandisk Extreme cards for my trips. $40 each - I
    >> don't carry a laptop, too heavy.

    > See my suggestion below.
    >
    >> Just bought a 3Tb external HDD today quite cheap at $149.00 that
    >> should see me out for the next 12 months at least :)

    > At least. ;-)

    >>> "ONLY ~1400 fine JPEGS"!!
    >>>
    >>> If those are from a single shoot you have management issues far greater
    >>> than the cost of card/HDD space

    >> No its not management issues its a finger problem, Fine JPEG file is
    >> on average 20Mb (that is dependent on the content as you are aware.)
    >>
    >> Its a Nikon camera.

    > ...and that FF Nikon deserves only the best. :)
    >

    >>> Buy a few extra cards and shoot RAW, and RAW+JPEG more often. If you are
    >>> using cards for storage of 1400 JPEGs you have a faulty storage
    >>> protocol. I don't know what type of shooting you do, but personally, if
    >>> I spend a day at a target rich event I find that I might have shot
    >>> 750-1200 NEFs, but a more typical figure is 200-350. Then on a local
    >>> stroll I might only shoot 20-30 shots.
    >>>
    >>> I always transfer to computer and my triple redundant backup setup. Once
    >>> that is done I reformat the card.

    >>> They probably do, but I somehow think you might not be printing 1400 of
    >>> them from a single shoot.
    >>>

    >> No but I don't get to go places all the time so I take quite a few
    >> images when I travel - 7000 images last time - I scabbed a few good
    >> ones though :) Next trip is for 2 weeks.

    > Since you don't want to travel with a laptop, you should consider a
    > traveling backup, which fits in your bag without a weight penalty.
    >
    > My suggestion is a Colorspace UDMA (the first leg of my triple redundant
    > road backup) with an appropriately sized HDD. A great investment for the
    > road, and one leg of a backup for those new cards. I would suggest a
    > 500GB-1TB, but you can buy a basic unit and add your own high volume HDD.
    >
    > I originally bought a 250GB UDMA and upgraded it my self with a 1TB
    > drive. That cost a lot less than they were/are asking. I have been using
    > that for 4 years without a problem. It accepts several card types (most
    > importantly CF & SDHC) and does full and incremental backups without
    > issue, and handles NEF, TIFF, & JPEG.
    > < http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm >

    looked at that, but I am now carrying 256GB plus in cards (also have a
    couple of 32GB CF cards from my old camera.

    I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
    take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
    too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
    flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
    communications.

    Which ever way the file sizes are getting to be a hand full, storage
    wise, archival etc - I have to start the cull on what I now store, but
    people always want something different.

    Rob, Nov 20, 2012
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 20/11/2012 7:15 PM, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 20/11/2012 07:02, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> In article <k8f3p2$3ml$>, Rob says...
    >>> No but I don't get to go places all the time so I take quite a few
    >>> images when I travel - 7000 images last time

    >> It must take forever to process all these images.

    > So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
    > having to post-process!

    Yes - getting them right in the first place to eliminates post
    processing. Taking heaps of happy snaps and scabbing a shot is far from
    ideal.

    Having an understanding of what you are doing. Evaluating the scene and
    thinking what will happen. Difficult situations like wind, extreme
    contrast, sports etc - you should know how to maximise to get the shot.

    Understand your camera.

    Rob, Nov 20, 2012
  6. Rob

    David Taylor Guest

    On 20/11/2012 12:14, Rob wrote:
    []
    > Yes - getting them right in the first place to eliminates post
    > processing. Taking heaps of happy snaps and scabbing a shot is far from
    > ideal.
    >
    > Having an understanding of what you are doing. Evaluating the scene and
    > thinking what will happen. Difficult situations like wind, extreme
    > contrast, sports etc - you should know how to maximise to get the shot.
    >
    > Understand your camera.

    Completely agree that you need to know what the limitations of your
    equipment are and how to work round them. Quite a lot of that applies
    to both RAW and JPEG, though. I do tend to chimp the shots just to be sure.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Nov 20, 2012
  7. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <k8fmbk$q4k$>, Rob
    <> wrote:

    > I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
    > take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
    > too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
    > flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
    > communications.

    you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
    when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
    jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
    depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
    car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
    laptops.

    nospam, Nov 20, 2012
  8. Rob

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 06:51:41 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <k8fmbk$q4k$>, Rob
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
    >> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
    >> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
    >> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
    >> communications.

    >you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
    >when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
    >jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
    >depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
    >car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
    >laptops.

    A laptop that fits in a jacket pocket? Paul Bunyan's jacket, perhaps.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 20, 2012
  9. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
    > >> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
    > >> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
    > >> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
    > >> communications.

    > >you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
    > >when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
    > >jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
    > >depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
    > >car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
    > >laptops.

    > A laptop that fits in a jacket pocket? Paul Bunyan's jacket, perhaps.

    ultrabooks easily fit into many jacket pockets. a 13" and even a 15"
    laptop can fit into some jacket pockets but that's less common.

    looks like you need to go clothes shopping.

    nospam, Nov 20, 2012
  10. nospam <> writes:

    > In article <k8fmbk$q4k$>, Rob
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
    >> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
    >> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
    >> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
    >> communications.

    > you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
    > when it was new.

    But the quantity to be transferred today is larger, so the speed matters
    more.

    > many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
    > jacket pocket.

    Netbooks, maybe, but those aren't useful for photo work.

    > battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
    > depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
    > car.

    I've never achieved that level of battery life in any laptop I've bought
    or even looked at on paper. I think you're confusing "netbooks" with
    laptops, again.

    I do of course plug my laptop in a lot; I don't find using it on battery
    to be that important.

    > there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
    > laptops.

    It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

    I can't imagine going on a photo trip without a laptop myself. I also
    carry an external drive to back up the photos two (leaving me just two
    copies, one on the laptop and one on the external; which always go in
    different bags).
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 20, 2012
  11. David Taylor <> writes:

    > On 20/11/2012 07:02, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> In article <k8f3p2$3ml$>, Rob says...
    >>> No but I don't get to go places all the time so I take quite a few
    >>> images when I travel - 7000 images last time

    >> It must take forever to process all these images.

    > So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
    > having to post-process!

    No image is ever completely right in the camera. Not to
    exhibition-print level. The negative / slide / RAW file is the score,
    the print is the performance (Ansel Adams, adapted to include more
    capture media).
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 20, 2012
  12. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    > >> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
    > >> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
    > >> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
    > >> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
    > >> communications.

    > > you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
    > > when it was new.

    > But the quantity to be transferred today is larger, so the speed matters
    > more.

    it's going to take longer to transfer a larger file than a smaller file
    no matter how fast the medium is.

    > > many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
    > > jacket pocket.

    > Netbooks, maybe, but those aren't useful for photo work.

    ultrabooks, which are very useful for photo work.

    > > battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
    > > depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
    > > car.

    > I've never achieved that level of battery life in any laptop I've bought
    > or even looked at on paper. I think you're confusing "netbooks" with
    > laptops, again.

    nope. the macbook air gets 5-7 hours, depending on if it's the 11" or
    13". macbook pros can do 7-10 hours, depending on which one, but the
    15" and certainly the 17" wont fit in a jacket quite as easily as an
    air.

    <http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html>
    <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/04/apple-macbook-pro.ht
    ml>

    > I do of course plug my laptop in a lot; I don't find using it on battery
    > to be that important.

    same here.

    > > there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
    > > laptops.

    > It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

    you mean taking it out of the bag? that's not always required, but when
    it is, it's not a big deal.

    > I can't imagine going on a photo trip without a laptop myself. I also
    > carry an external drive to back up the photos two (leaving me just two
    > copies, one on the laptop and one on the external; which always go in
    > different bags).

    depends on the length of the trip. for a day or two, i don't bother
    with a laptop.

    nospam, Nov 20, 2012
  13. Rob

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:27:30 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
    >> >when it was new. many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
    >> >jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
    >> >depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
    >> >car. there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
    >> >laptops.

    >> A laptop that fits in a jacket pocket? Paul Bunyan's jacket, perhaps.

    >ultrabooks easily fit into many jacket pockets. a 13" and even a 15"
    >laptop can fit into some jacket pockets but that's less common.
    >
    >looks like you need to go clothes shopping.

    I am not a professional shoplifter as you must be to be able to fit a
    laptop into a jacket pocket. My jackets do not have "booster pockets"
    into which a laptop, whole ham, six pack of beer, or three-pack of tee
    shirts can be concealed.

    You needn't worry about airport security, but store security people
    will be watching.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 20, 2012
  14. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> It's an extra step each time, but no big deal.

    > >you mean taking it out of the bag? that's not always required, but when
    > >it is, it's not a big deal.

    > A laptop is a PITA.
    >
    > If I could I would leave it in my main bag where it would go straight
    > through without any further involvement on my part. As it is, I have
    > to carry it on for a security check and, at the best, it is a further
    > complication to my hand baggage.

    some places let you leave a laptop in the bag, including the usa for
    precheck. otherwise, it takes 10-15 seconds to remove it and put in a
    bin. it's not a big deal. removing shoes is more of a pain than dealing
    with a laptop.

    nospam, Nov 20, 2012
  15. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> A laptop that fits in a jacket pocket? Paul Bunyan's jacket, perhaps.

    > >ultrabooks easily fit into many jacket pockets. a 13" and even a 15"
    > >laptop can fit into some jacket pockets but that's less common.
    > >
    > >looks like you need to go clothes shopping.

    > I am not a professional shoplifter as you must be to be able to fit a
    > laptop into a jacket pocket. My jackets do not have "booster pockets"
    > into which a laptop, whole ham, six pack of beer, or three-pack of tee
    > shirts can be concealed.
    >
    > You needn't worry about airport security, but store security people
    > will be watching.

    trying to be funny? it's not working. or is it just your usual ad
    hominem attack? yep, that's what it is.

    just because a jacket has large pockets does not mean it's used for
    shoplifting. such a jacket is *very* useful for traveling, however.

    apparently your lack of knowledge extends to clothing.

    nospam, Nov 20, 2012
  16. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 21/11/2012 8:17 AM, Frank S wrote:

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message

    >>> So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
    >>> having to post-process!

    >> Yes - getting them right in the first place to eliminates post
    >> processing. Taking heaps of happy snaps and scabbing a shot is far
    >> from ideal.
    >>
    >> Having an understanding of what you are doing. Evaluating the scene
    >> and thinking what will happen. Difficult situations like wind, extreme
    >> contrast, sports etc - you should know how to maximise to get the shot.
    >>
    >> Understand your camera.
    >>

    > Yes - I would like to understand "scabbing" in this context.

    Take lots of shots and fluke a keeper.

    Rob, Nov 20, 2012
  17. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 21/11/2012 1:51 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <k8fmbk$q4k$>, Rob
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to sit down and have a good think about what direction to
    >> take. Have a portable HDD but 60GB HDD which I used about 10 years ago
    >> too slow to download stuff. Took a laptop once. bulky, battery went
    >> flat, bloody airport security problems, now down to an iPad for
    >> communications.

    > you're just making excuses. your 60g hd is no slower now than it was
    > when it was new.

    That's true but it equals 2 SD cards and it was slow to download images
    took ages.

    many laptops are under 3 pounds and can slip into a
    > jacket pocket. battery life on laptops is anywhere from 5-10 hours,
    > depending on the laptop and there's always plugging it into the wall or
    > car.there is also no problem whatsoever with airport security with
    > laptops.

    Laptops are just a hassle. Airports 'were' full on at one stage would
    have liked it checked in but for accidental damage. They newer had big
    enough HDD's.

    Not sure if I like this electronic age :)

    Rob, Nov 20, 2012
  18. Rob

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:17:39 -0800, "Frank S" <>
    wrote:

    >"Rob" <> wrote in message

    >>> So you try and get them right in the camera, rather than relying on
    >>> having to post-process!

    >> Yes - getting them right in the first place to eliminates post
    >> processing. Taking heaps of happy snaps and scabbing a shot is far
    >> from ideal.
    >>
    >> Having an understanding of what you are doing. Evaluating the scene
    >> and thinking what will happen. Difficult situations like wind, extreme
    >> contrast, sports etc - you should know how to maximise to get the
    >> shot.
    >>
    >> Understand your camera.
    >>

    >Yes - I would like to understand "scabbing" in this context.

    I took for a mondegreen of "scrabbling".
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 20, 2012
  19. Rob

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> A laptop is a PITA.
    > >>
    > >> If I could I would leave it in my main bag where it would go straight
    > >> through without any further involvement on my part. As it is, I have
    > >> to carry it on for a security check and, at the best, it is a further
    > >> complication to my hand baggage.

    > >some places let you leave a laptop in the bag, including the usa for
    > >precheck. otherwise, it takes 10-15 seconds to remove it and put in a
    > >bin.

    > By that time I've checked in my main baggage. I only have carry-on
    > luggage.

    are you saying you want to put a laptop in checked bags? that's *not*
    wise. laptops go in carry-on, as does anything else of value.

    checked bags can get lost, or worse, stuff can be stolen from them.
    they are also tossed around and a laptop really isn't suited to that
    type of treatment. the airlines say not to put anything valuable in
    there and don't cover much if you do.

    nospam, Nov 20, 2012
  20. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 21/11/2012 10:05 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-20 14:32:10 -0800, Rob <> said:
    >
    >> On 21/11/2012 8:17 AM, Frank S wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Rob" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes - I would like to understand "scabbing" in this context.
    >>>

    >> Take lots of shots and fluke a keeper.

    > Aah! The search for the magnificent miracle.
    >
    > No wonder you fill up those cards with JPEGs.

    It was not me to whom I was referring.

    Rob, Nov 21, 2012