Re: Camera JPEG engines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nick c, Nov 19, 2012.

  1. nick c

    nick c Guest

    On 11/18/2012 3:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
    > today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
    > RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?
    >
    > My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
    > bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
    > only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

    I used to shoot RAW all the time then later changed to shooting
    high-quality JPEG for most of my pictures to reduce processing time.
    That's when I used to spend more time processing my shots than taking
    the shots. Besides that, I now tend to use Active D-lighting should I
    think the scene would be enhanced using the D-lighting feature.

    When in doubt about the lighting of a scene, I'll shoot RAW+JPEG just in
    case the color temperature may need to be adjusted or other features may
    need to be adjusted, for which RAW is best suited to the task.

    However, over a period of time I've come to the conclusion that
    high-quality JPEG is very suitable for the type of pictures I like to take.

    nick c, Nov 19, 2012