Re: Camera JPEG engines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Taylor, Nov 19, 2012.

  1. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    On 18/11/2012 23:33, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
    > today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
    > RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?
    >
    > My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
    > bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
    > only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

    For my purposes, the JPEG output is just fine (from my Nikon D5000), and
    has been OK with the limited amount of shooting on my Sony HX200V. The
    Nikon has dynamic range extension - "Active-D lighting" - which I always
    have enabled.

    I would only use RAW in exceptional circumstances.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Nov 19, 2012