Re: Camera JPEG engines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ray, Nov 19, 2012.

  1. ray

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 00:33:44 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

    > I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
    > today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
    > RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?
    >
    > My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
    > bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
    > only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

    Several cameras include a jpeg 'preview' in the raw file. That's what I
    use - shoot raw only and check the embedded jpeg before I process.

    ray, Nov 19, 2012

  2. ray <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 00:33:44 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    >> I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
    >> today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
    >> RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?
    >>
    >> My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
    >> bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
    >> only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

    > Several cameras include a jpeg 'preview' in the raw file. That's what I
    > use - shoot raw only and check the embedded jpeg before I process.

    Mine simulataneously makes both raw and jpeg as separate files. I usually
    find the jpeg is good enough but the raws can have slightly more highlight
    detail due to the pseudo-film highlight roll-off that jpegs tend to have,
    also clearer shadow detail due to lack of denoising. Of course raw
    processors often apply such effects themselves in which case the output
    would be much the same as the jpeg.

    Gordon Freeman, Nov 19, 2012