Re: Camera bags...Iis Lowepro a good choice?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Biker Dave, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Biker Dave

    Biker Dave Guest

    "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > > I see this bag on B&H that claims to hold 3 bodies w/lens. Price looks
    > > right.
    > > Does Lowepro make quality camera bags or should I look elsewhere?

    > I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack-style bag which I use for my video
    > gear. It's very well made, and intelligently designed. Now I need a new
    > bag for my Canon 10D, and I'll be getting another Lowepro.

    I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they are
    more likely to contain decent kit.

    Just something to think of.

    --
    Biker Dave

    Biker Dave, Aug 26, 2003

  2. "Biker Dave" <> writes:

    > "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > > > I see this bag on B&H that claims to hold 3 bodies w/lens. Price looks
    > > > right.
    > > > Does Lowepro make quality camera bags or should I look elsewhere?

    > > I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack-style bag which I use for my video
    > > gear. It's very well made, and intelligently designed. Now I need a new
    > > bag for my Canon 10D, and I'll be getting another Lowepro.
    > >

    > I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they are
    > more likely to contain decent kit.

    If you are afraid of somebody stealing your gear, using a diaper bag (possibly
    with a padded case inside) might be the way to go. If you put a chocolate bar
    in with a diaper inside of a ziploc (tm) bag placed on the top and leave it in
    the sun for a bit, it might be even more thief protection. This of course
    assumes you have theives targeting specific camera types. I can just imagine a
    modern Faggin, gathering the boys around, and saying "Ok, I need 3 Canon 1D's
    with L lenses, and also a Fuji S2 -- don't bring me any more of those Canon
    Rebels". However, I suspect that most thieves are less discriminating, and
    will take what they can get, in order to sell it quickly to get more drugs.

    That being said, the two Lowepro bags I've had were both well designed for
    their purposes.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Biker Dave

    J Guest

    you may have been a victim of a tag team theft...pretty girl may have been
    the intended distraction. heh
    unless of course you knew her.

    "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message

    > "Biker Dave" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message

    looks

    > > > I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack-style bag which I use for my

    video
    > > > gear. It's very well made, and intelligently designed. Now I need a

    > new
    > > > bag for my Canon 10D, and I'll be getting another Lowepro.
    > > >

    > > I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they

    > are
    > > more likely to contain decent kit.

    > I suppose it's possible, but I never let my bag leave my personal
    > possession, so it's really not an issue. I use my gear, almost

    exclusively,
    > for travel videography and photography. I used to use a garden-variety

    day
    > pack and only started carrying the Lowepro fairly recently. However, I've
    > taken it through India, Hong Kong and China without the slightest
    > difficulty.
    >
    > > Just something to think of.

    > I agree, though I think the focus (pun intended) should be on keeping

    track
    > of your gear at all times, e.g. never leave a camera bag sitting in a

    locked

    J, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Biker Dave

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "J" <> wrote in message
    > you may have been a victim of a tag team theft...pretty girl may have been
    > the intended distraction. heh
    > unless of course you knew her.

    I knew her -- she was a classmate. Definitely wasn't worth it. ;)

    PTRAVEL, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Biker Dave

    David French Guest

    "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    > > I have heard that thieves target people with Lowepro camera bags as they

    > are
    > > more likely to contain decent kit.

    > I suppose it's possible, but I never let my bag leave my personal
    > possession, so it's really not an issue. I use my gear, almost

    exclusively,
    > for travel videography and photography. I used to use a garden-variety

    day
    > pack and only started carrying the Lowepro fairly recently. However, I've
    > taken it through India, Hong Kong and China without the slightest
    > difficulty.

    If you're worried about losing a bag to a thief, you can also buy shoulder
    straps which have wire woven into the fabric, which means they can't be cut
    with a knife easily. Although perhaps better to lose your camera than to
    have an altercation with a criminal with a knife.

    David

    David French, Aug 27, 2003