Re: Camera bag for Canon 1D with 24-105mm lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John McWilliams, May 23, 2011.

  1. On 5/22/11 6:02 PM, Alex wrote:
    > I am looking for suggestions for a small camera bag that can
    > fit a Canon 1D with attached 24-105mm lens. Any recommendations
    > (specific models and brands, things to look for or to avoid)
    > are greatly appreciated!
    >
    > I recently bought a used Canon 1D Mk IIn to see if the 1.3x
    > works for me (and so far I *love* it). Obviously, it does not fit
    > into my current DX-sized camera case, so I am looking for a bigger
    > case. Smaller is better, i.e. it does not have to fit 5 lenses
    > and a tripod -- just be big enough to fit camera with attached
    > 24-105 lens. Again, any info is appreciated!


    I have a small Lowe Pro case that just fits my 5D, 24-105 WITH lens hood
    attached and not reversed, i.e., ready to pull out and shoot. It has
    both a shoulder strap and waist strap.

    If this sounds like the ticket, post back and I'll look up the model
    number.
    John McWilliams, May 23, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John McWilliams

    me Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:37:33 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >On 5/22/11 6:02 PM, Alex wrote:
    >> I am looking for suggestions for a small camera bag that can
    >> fit a Canon 1D with attached 24-105mm lens. Any recommendations
    >> (specific models and brands, things to look for or to avoid)
    >> are greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> I recently bought a used Canon 1D Mk IIn to see if the 1.3x
    >> works for me (and so far I *love* it). Obviously, it does not fit
    >> into my current DX-sized camera case, so I am looking for a bigger
    >> case. Smaller is better, i.e. it does not have to fit 5 lenses
    >> and a tripod -- just be big enough to fit camera with attached
    >> 24-105 lens. Again, any info is appreciated!

    >
    >I have a small Lowe Pro case that just fits my 5D, 24-105 WITH lens hood
    >attached and not reversed, i.e., ready to pull out and shoot. It has
    >both a shoulder strap and waist strap.
    >
    >If this sounds like the ticket, post back and I'll look up the model
    >number.


    ProRunner?
    me, May 23, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John McWilliams

    alex Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > On 5/22/11 6:02 PM, Alex wrote:
    >> I am looking for suggestions for a small camera bag that can
    >> fit a Canon 1D with attached 24-105mm lens. Any recommendations
    >> (specific models and brands, things to look for or to avoid)
    >> are greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> I recently bought a used Canon 1D Mk IIn to see if the 1.3x
    >> works for me (and so far I *love* it). Obviously, it does not fit
    >> into my current DX-sized camera case, so I am looking for a bigger
    >> case. Smaller is better, i.e. it does not have to fit 5 lenses
    >> and a tripod -- just be big enough to fit camera with attached
    >> 24-105 lens. Again, any info is appreciated!

    >
    > I have a small Lowe Pro case that just fits my 5D, 24-105 WITH lens hood
    > attached and not reversed, i.e., ready to pull out and shoot. It has
    > both a shoulder strap and waist strap.
    >
    > If this sounds like the ticket, post back and I'll look up the model
    > number.


    John,

    Yes, this sounds exactly like the bag I am looking for. Is this 75 AW?

    -Alex
    alex, May 24, 2011
    #3
  4. John McWilliams

    -hh Guest

    On May 24, 4:56 pm, alex <> wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    > > On 5/22/11 6:02 PM, Alex wrote:
    > >> I am looking for suggestions for a small camera bag that can
    > >> fit a Canon 1D with attached 24-105mm lens. Any recommendations
    > >> (specific models and brands, things to look for or to avoid)
    > >> are greatly appreciated!

    >
    > >> I recently bought a used Canon 1D Mk IIn to see if the 1.3x
    > >> works for me (and so far I *love* it). Obviously, it does not fit
    > >> into my current DX-sized camera case, so I am looking for a bigger
    > >> case. Smaller is better, i.e. it does not have to fit 5 lenses
    > >> and a tripod -- just be big enough to fit camera with attached
    > >> 24-105 lens. Again, any info is appreciated!

    >
    > > I have a small Lowe Pro case that just fits my 5D, 24-105 WITH lens hood
    > > attached and not reversed, i.e., ready to pull out and shoot. It has
    > > both a shoulder strap and waist strap.

    >
    > > If this sounds like the ticket, post back and I'll look up the model
    > > number.

    >
    > John,
    >
    > Yes, this sounds exactly like the bag I am looking for. Is this 75 AW?


    Another possibiltiy might be the Kinesis product line; probably the
    C500:

    http://www.kgear.com/store/c/large.html


    I will note that at first impression, some of the Kinesis gear looks
    "klunky" (not streamlined or 'clean') because of extensive D-rings and
    so forth. This is because its design objective is to have products
    that can be very extensively customized and integrated with many of
    their other products to provide the photographer with more "mix &
    match" configuration options. As such, it is a system that is less
    vulnerable to gear changes making it become functionally obsolete.


    -hh
    -hh, May 25, 2011
    #4
  5. John McWilliams

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2011 06:26:47 -0700 (PDT), -hh
    <> wrote:

    >On May 24, 4:56 pm, alex <> wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:
    >> > On 5/22/11 6:02 PM, Alex wrote:
    >> >> I am looking for suggestions for a small camera bag that can
    >> >> fit a Canon 1D with attached 24-105mm lens. Any recommendations
    >> >> (specific models and brands, things to look for or to avoid)
    >> >> are greatly appreciated!

    >>
    >> >> I recently bought a used Canon 1D Mk IIn to see if the 1.3x
    >> >> works for me (and so far I *love* it). Obviously, it does not fit
    >> >> into my current DX-sized camera case, so I am looking for a bigger
    >> >> case. Smaller is better, i.e. it does not have to fit 5 lenses
    >> >> and a tripod -- just be big enough to fit camera with attached
    >> >> 24-105 lens. Again, any info is appreciated!

    >>
    >> > I have a small Lowe Pro case that just fits my 5D, 24-105 WITH lens hood
    >> > attached and not reversed, i.e., ready to pull out and shoot. It has
    >> > both a shoulder strap and waist strap.

    >>
    >> > If this sounds like the ticket, post back and I'll look up the model
    >> > number.

    >>
    >> John,
    >>
    >> Yes, this sounds exactly like the bag I am looking for. Is this 75 AW?

    >
    >Another possibiltiy might be the Kinesis product line; probably the
    >C500:
    >
    >http://www.kgear.com/store/c/large.html
    >
    >
    >I will note that at first impression, some of the Kinesis gear looks
    >"klunky" (not streamlined or 'clean') because of extensive D-rings and
    >so forth. This is because its design objective is to have products
    >that can be very extensively customized and integrated with many of
    >their other products to provide the photographer with more "mix &
    >match" configuration options. As such, it is a system that is less
    >vulnerable to gear changes making it become functionally obsolete.


    For a few years now when travelling I've been using a cheap army
    surplus bag for my photography. It's very handy and doesn't tell
    everybody that I have an expensive camera in the bag.

    I also don't need all those compartments. My lenses go into Canon lens
    pouches, which keeps them safe from damage.

    The bag is very light yet roomy. It goes into my roll-on carryon
    suitcase along with all my other stuff. It takes up very little space
    there. The camera body and a couple of lenses go into a briefcase,
    which stays with me.

    Once at my destination, I transfer the camera gear to the army bag.
    It also accomodates maps, a bottle of water, a GPS, small bag of nuts,
    and other necessities.

    I often have the camera ready for shooting with the lens hood mounted,
    and have never scratched the glass (but I use care).

    When shooting closer to home I often use my LowePro Stealth Reporter,
    which holds more stuff and its padding should help protect the gear
    inside, but I've really never had any issues with the cheap canvas
    army bag.

    Wally
    Wally, May 25, 2011
    #5
  6. John McWilliams

    -hh Guest

    On May 25, 3:26 pm, Wally <> wrote:
    >
    > For a few years now when travelling I've been using a cheap army
    > surplus bag for my photography. It's very handy and doesn't tell
    > everybody that I have an expensive camera in the bag.


    You're not the only one who has nested expensive stuff inside of
    duffle bags or whatever.

    > I also don't need all those compartments. My lenses go into Canon lens
    > pouches, which keeps them safe from damage.


    And these lens pouches go where? Inside the nondescript bag, which
    you may have refitted with a divider or two? (I alrady own two
    'nondescript" bags like this).

    Peoples' needs vary - some need compartments for stuff; others don't.
    As such, there is no single best solution that will suit everyone.
    My point was merely to highlight that in addition to the "exact fit"
    types of camera bags, there are also some "modular system" products
    out there (whose designs don't suck).

    > The bag is very light yet roomy. It goes into my roll-on carryon
    > suitcase along with all my other stuff. It takes up very little space
    > there. The camera body and a couple of lenses go into a briefcase,
    > which stays with me.


    As an aside, the type of carry-on suitcase one chooses is another
    example of YMMV. I purposefully do not use a wheeled (roll-on) style
    for certain aircraft equipment ... and for certain destinations. Not
    only do wheeled bags have less interior room, they're also heavier,
    which is a distinct disadvantage when you're not in the USA and hit
    staircases on mass transit systems.


    > Once at my destination, I transfer the camera gear to the army bag.
    > It also accomodates maps, a bottle of water, a GPS, small bag of nuts,
    > and other necessities.
    > I often have the camera ready for shooting with the lens hood mounted,
    > and have never scratched the glass (but I use care).


    I'd generally agree that a "hip" type bag can be pretty good. One of
    the challenges that I've found with them is to how to configure them
    in conjunction with a pack for longer hikes, as well as provisions for
    protecting it from heavy rain. More recently, I've ditched this sort
    of bag and gone to a smaller (body+lens) bag, as I can clip it back
    further to the rear, since a camera bag mounted forward of the hip
    restricts one's mobilty (can't lift that leg as high).

    > When shooting closer to home I often use my LowePro Stealth Reporter,
    > which holds more stuff and its padding should help protect the gear
    > inside, but I've really never had any issues with the cheap canvas
    > army bag.


    Shoulder bags such as the Stealth Reporter are very good for certain
    things. The question always comes back to what the intended use case
    is. Here, OP Alex did state that he was looking for a solution that
    didn't require "5 lenses and a tripod", so the Stealth is probably
    bigger than what he believes he's looking for. Hopefully, Alex won't
    be tempted to "grow" what he wants to carry and end up a year from now
    looking for a "body+2lenses" sized bag, unless he chooses today a
    product designed to be extensible. I've tried the route of a (bag
    +refitted random extra) and they're always an ugly klunge.


    -hh
    -hh, May 25, 2011
    #6
  7. On 5/24/11 PDT 1:56 PM, alex wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> On 5/22/11 6:02 PM, Alex wrote:
    >>> I am looking for suggestions for a small camera bag that can
    >>> fit a Canon 1D with attached 24-105mm lens. Any recommendations
    >>> (specific models and brands, things to look for or to avoid)
    >>> are greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>> I recently bought a used Canon 1D Mk IIn to see if the 1.3x
    >>> works for me (and so far I *love* it). Obviously, it does not fit
    >>> into my current DX-sized camera case, so I am looking for a bigger
    >>> case. Smaller is better, i.e. it does not have to fit 5 lenses
    >>> and a tripod -- just be big enough to fit camera with attached
    >>> 24-105 lens. Again, any info is appreciated!

    >>
    >> I have a small Lowe Pro case that just fits my 5D, 24-105 WITH lens
    >> hood attached and not reversed, i.e., ready to pull out and shoot. It
    >> has both a shoulder strap and waist strap.
    >>
    >> If this sounds like the ticket, post back and I'll look up the model
    >> number.

    >
    > John,
    >
    > Yes, this sounds exactly like the bag I am looking for. Is this 75 AW?


    Yes, that's the one!
    John McWilliams, May 25, 2011
    #7
  8. John McWilliams

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:15:03 -0700 (PDT), -hh
    <> wrote:

    > One of
    >the challenges that I've found with them is to how to configure them
    >in conjunction with a pack for longer hikes, as well as provisions for
    >protecting it from heavy rain.


    Pack a plastic bag in case it rains and you have to protect your gear.
    Wally
    Wally, May 26, 2011
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Neville

    Tamron SP aF 28-105MM f/2.8 lens?

    Michael Neville, Dec 8, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,151
    Crownfield
    Dec 9, 2003
  2. Rita  Ä Berkowitz

    Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D vs. 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Sep 26, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    462
    Gadgets
    Sep 27, 2004
  3. RW
    Replies:
    49
    Views:
    5,896
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR vs. Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 17, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    794
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    677
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page