    and booted into WinXP as usual. RwP tells me I couldn`t have done this. But
    I know I did. Any thoughts or comments.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Dec 8, 2005

  2. old jon

    Noel Paton Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message
    news:tmYlf.417$...
    > Hi Noel. Got a little thing going with RwP.
    > I run WinXP SP2, and recently installed pclinuxos on a spare partition.
    > Had a look at it, then decided to remove it.
    > On install, I had put the lilo bootloader on my MBR.
    > So on removal, I had to get rid of the loader.
    > I booted with my WinME boot disk and did a fdisk /MBR, removed the floppy,
    > and booted into WinXP as usual. RwP tells me I couldn`t have done this.
    > But I know I did. Any thoughts or comments.
    > best wishes..OJ

    I can't see any way that XP could boot off an ME MBR - since the MBR for an
    ME/XP dual-boot is that created by XP on its install (unless you were using
    a third-party boot manager - in which case XP still wouldn't boot off the ME
    MBR)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 8, 2005

  3. old jon

    old jon Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Noel. Got a little thing going with RwP.
    > I run WinXP SP2, and recently installed pclinuxos on a spare partition.
    > Had a look at it, then decided to remove it.
    > On install, I had put the lilo bootloader on my MBR.
    > So on removal, I had to get rid of the loader.
    > I booted with my WinME boot disk and did a fdisk /MBR, removed the floppy,
    > and booted into WinXP as usual. RwP tells me I couldn`t have done this.
    > But I know I did. Any thoughts or comments.
    > best wishes..OJ

    Hi Noel. Further to my request, and your response.
    I have just switched off my computer. Booted from my WinME boot disk. Typed
    in `fdisk /MBR`. removed the floppy, And Started Up in
    WinXP as usual.

    ((Hi there guys, I am Jon's daughter and a pc engineer. I have just sat with
    him while he went through this procedure and I can categorically confirm
    that he has indeed done the above!!.... I'm afraid you guys are wrong this
    time. All the best, VR))
    bw.OJ

    old jon, Dec 8, 2005
  4. old jon

    Noel Paton Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Noel. Got a little thing going with RwP.
    >> I run WinXP SP2, and recently installed pclinuxos on a spare partition.
    >> Had a look at it, then decided to remove it.
    >> On install, I had put the lilo bootloader on my MBR.
    >> So on removal, I had to get rid of the loader.
    >> I booted with my WinME boot disk and did a fdisk /MBR, removed the
    >> floppy, and booted into WinXP as usual. RwP tells me I couldn`t have done
    >> this. But I know I did. Any thoughts or comments.
    >> best wishes..OJ
    >>

    > Hi Noel. Further to my request, and your response.
    > I have just switched off my computer. Booted from my WinME boot disk.
    > Typed in `fdisk /MBR`. removed the floppy, And Started Up in
    > WinXP as usual.
    >
    > ((Hi there guys, I am Jon's daughter and a pc engineer. I have just sat
    > with him while he went through this procedure and I can categorically
    > confirm that he has indeed done the above!!.... I'm afraid you guys are
    > wrong this time. All the best, VR))
    > bw.OJ

    In that case, the only way that I can see that could happen is if the XP and
    ME partitions are on separate HD's, and the NT loader is on the first HD
    enumerated by the BIOS - and you used the MBR command on the second HD.

    Noel Paton, Dec 8, 2005
  5. old jon

    old jon Guest

    "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message

    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Noel. Got a little thing going with RwP.
    >>> I run WinXP SP2, and recently installed pclinuxos on a spare partition.
    >>> Had a look at it, then decided to remove it.
    >>> On install, I had put the lilo bootloader on my MBR.
    >>> So on removal, I had to get rid of the loader.
    >>> I booted with my WinME boot disk and did a fdisk /MBR, removed the
    >>> floppy, and booted into WinXP as usual. RwP tells me I couldn`t have
    >>> done this. But I know I did. Any thoughts or comments.
    >>> best wishes..OJ
    >>>

    >> Hi Noel. Further to my request, and your response.
    >> I have just switched off my computer. Booted from my WinME boot disk.
    >> Typed in `fdisk /MBR`. removed the floppy, And Started Up in
    >> WinXP as usual.
    >>
    >> ((Hi there guys, I am Jon's daughter and a pc engineer. I have just sat
    >> with him while he went through this procedure and I can categorically
    >> confirm that he has indeed done the above!!.... I'm afraid you guys are
    >> wrong this time. All the best, VR))
    >> bw.OJ

    > In that case, the only way that I can see that could happen is if the XP
    > and ME partitions are on separate HD's, and the NT loader is on the first
    > HD enumerated by the BIOS - and you used the MBR command on the second
    > HD.
    >
    > --

    Hi big N. I only have one OS. WinXP. Not had ME for a long time.
    I put a new bigger drive in when I did a clean install of XP.
    Then formatted my old drive into 2 partitions. One left empty, on which I
    recently put pclinuxos. It was the removeing of the linux part. that meant I
    had to get rid of the boot loader.
    Thanks for your time, and nice attitude.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 8, 2005
  6. old jon

    Noel Paton Guest

    I want to see that boot disk of yours, Jon!!! - as I said, my email is
    valid, if you can zip it and send it to me?

    Noel Paton, Dec 8, 2005