Re: Caller ID for computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Sep 21, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > I have my TV, telephone and internet service all through the same
    > cable company. If I'm watching TV and the phone rings, the caller ID
    > comes up on the TV screen. Nice feature. I got to wondering if, since
    > I'm in front of the computer a lot too, if there's a utility that does
    > the same thing on the computer screen, since they're all
    > interconnected. I called the cable company and they don't offer the
    > service. But he also told me they can't recommend third party
    > programs or utilities. I tried Googling but didn't come up with much.
    > Anyone aware of any utility programs that would accomplish this?
    > Thanks.

    You'd need extra hardware. Specifically an internal card. Although I
    guess you *could* go the idiot way and get a USB device.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 21, 2010

  2. wrote:

    > chucktard <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have my TV, telephone and internet service all through the same
    >>> cable company. If I'm watching TV and the phone rings, the caller
    >>> ID comes up on the TV screen. Nice feature. I got to wondering if,
    >>> since I'm in front of the computer a lot too, if there's a utility
    >>> that does the same thing on the computer screen, since they're all
    >>> interconnected. I called the cable company and they don't offer the
    >>> service. But he also told me they can't recommend third party
    >>> programs or utilities. I tried Googling but didn't come up with
    >>> much. Anyone aware of any utility programs that would accomplish
    >>> this? Thanks.
    >>>

    >> You'd need extra hardware. Specifically an internal card. Although I
    >> guess you *could* go the idiot way and get a USB device.

    Oh, bunk. Chucktard, Totally Wrong. Again. *No* hardware is needed.

    > I've got no problem with installing an internal card. So I should just
    > look around for a PC caller ID card?

    rfdjr1, if you were living in a Time Warner Cable area, you could just
    go to their web site and sign up for CallerID on PC. It's just instant
    messaging software (combined with AOL IM). See:

    <https://www.timewarnercable.com/Corporate/site.faqs/DigitalHom/VoiceZone/CallerIDon/What-is-Caller-ID-on-PC>

    Now you just need to talk your cable company into implementing the
    service.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:42:49 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Oh, bunk. Chucktard, Totally Wrong. Again. *No* hardware is needed.

    > He'll get one right, one of these days.

    And probably earlier then you, Evan.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 21, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    bigtimeben Guest

    On Sep 20, 6:42 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > chucktard <> wrote:

    > >> You'd need extra hardware. Specifically an internal card. Although I
    > >> guess you *could* go the idiot way and get a USB device.

    > Oh, bunk.  Chucktard, Totally Wrong. Again. *No* hardware is needed.
    >
    > > I've got no problem with installing an internal card. So I should just
    > > look around for a PC caller ID card?

    > rfdjr1, if you were living in a Time Warner Cable area, you could just
    > go to their web site and sign up for CallerID on PC. It's just instant
    > messaging software (combined with AOL IM). See:
    >
    > <https://www.timewarnercable.com/Corporate/site.faqs/DigitalHom/VoiceZ...>
    >
    > Now you just need to talk your cable company into implementing the
    > service.
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul- Hide quoted text -

    Same thing with Comcast. Go to their web site for a download www.comcast.net
    no additional hardware needed

    bigtimeben, Sep 21, 2010