Re: CACHE problem - network vs local

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Richard Owlett wrote:
    > I'm on dialup
    > When I contact
    >
    > http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=sgf&product=N0R&loop=yes
    >
    > after clearing my local cache
    > I still get HOURS *OLD* data
    >
    > The national data from "NATIONAL" data at
    > http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_lite_loop.php shows good data
    >
    > *HELP*
    >
    > WHO should I ask WHAT questions ? ???

    There is an enormous amount of help information at the site

    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/doppler/radarfaq.htm Frequently Asked
    Questions

    In that help mode, the left frame has links to additional useful
    information beyond the faq page about how to best use the site including
    your cache.

    Here's an example:

    <q>
    Why can't I loop radar images in the standard version with my dial-up
    connection?

    The looping images in the "Standard Version" radar display are animated
    gifs. Web accelerator services that are designed to decrease your
    download times do so by many methods, one of which is to compress graphics.

    When an accelerator service compresses the radar loop, it essentially
    keeps the oldest image (first in the loop) and deletes the remaining
    images. To view the loop in the "Standard Version" you need to disable
    the accelerator service to prevent this compression of the radar image.

    Yes, the files are large and it will be slow on dial-up but the overall
    file size, including the webpage and all graphics is typically much
    smaller than the old original looping version (about 25% smaller).
    </q>

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 3, 2010