Re: Cable Tracing

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug McIntyre, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. Lovejoy <> writes:
    >I have inherited a lan closet that we share with another group that has
    >their own 4506. Needless to say it is a huge furball, and nothing is
    >labeled, on either ours or their switch. Is there some easy way or
    >tool to trace a patch cable from the switch to the patch panel, like
    >tracing from the drop to the patch panel with a toner? Almost anything
    >would be better than trying to manually trace the cable by hand.

    Unplug it and see who screams?

    No, there's not any easy way.

    You could make sure port link logging is turned on in the cisco
    switch, and unplug and plug things quickly in some order, and see what
    ports go up/down in the logs. If its super critical, then do it after hours.

    That would be about the easiest way to determine it.

    Afterall, the main cost for rewiring is something like 70-80%
    somebody's time, not materials.
    Doug McIntyre, Apr 9, 2009

  2. Doug McIntyre

    tweety Guest

    On Apr 9, 7:57 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > Lovejoy <> writes:
    > >I have inherited a lan closet that we share with another group that has
    > >their own 4506.  Needless to say it is a huge furball, and nothing is
    > >labeled, on either ours or their switch.  Is there some easy way or
    > >tool to trace a patch cable from the switch to the patch panel, like
    > >tracing from the drop to the patch panel with a toner?  Almost anything
    > >would be better than trying to manually trace the cable by hand.

    > Unplug it and see who screams?
    >
    > No, there's not any easy way.
    >
    > You could make sure port link logging is turned on in the cisco
    > switch, and unplug and plug things quickly in some order, and see what
    > ports go up/down in the logs. If its super critical, then do it after hours.
    >
    > That would be about the easiest way to determine it.
    >
    > Afterall, the main cost for rewiring is something like 70-80%
    > somebody's time, not materials.

    Hi, on any windows devices you can install a little cdp app, cdp
    monitor version 3 now i think, run this on the windows boxes, then do
    a sh cdp nei on the switches and bobs yer uncle, also look at mac
    address table on switchports etc

    i know how you feel, i inherited a whole data centre and the cabling
    was shocking, i would seriousley think about not just pulling cables
    and see who screams, there may be apps like neverfail or nomax running
    replication of exchange boxes etc and this would throw servers into a
    passive active flip, i speak from experience, one cable pull cost me a
    days work, travel to a secondary site to manually throw the traffic
    back to the primary box and nearly got my ass chewed off :)

    hope this helps

    andrew
    tweety, Apr 18, 2009