Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Top, Dec 9, 2009.

  1. Top

    Top Guest

    In article <2009120812272316807-cdtyrrell@mchsicom>, says...

    > Various speed test sites reveal that my current DL speed is roughly 3
    > Mbps, far less than the advertised 10-15 Mbps. Understanding that I
    > would never actually experience 10 Mbps, I do expect something better
    > than 3.
    >
    > Mediacom cable enters house and is split 4 ways: Cable Modem/Phone, HD
    > DVR, HD TV, and SDTV. Would I find better performance if inserted a
    > two-way splitter with one output going to the modem and the other going
    > to the second splitter that feeds three TVs?
    >

    > TIA,
    > Chris

    When I had problems like this the cable tech looked at the box where the cable comes from
    the street to the house. I didn't know before but in the box they can control how much
    signal goes to each feed. Orientally 20% was going to my cable modem and the rest was for
    the TV feeds. He changed the loading to give the cable modem 60% and I've had much better
    success since. That might not work for you but for my Time Warner service that worked.

    Top
    Top, Dec 9, 2009