Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. Chris wrote:

    > Various speed test sites reveal that my current DL speed is roughly 3
    > Mbps, far less than the advertised 10-15 Mbps. Understanding that I
    > would never actually experience 10 Mbps, I do expect something better
    > than 3.
    >
    > Mediacom cable enters house and is split 4 ways: Cable Modem/Phone,
    > HD DVR, HD TV, and SDTV. Would I find better performance if inserted
    > a two-way splitter with one output going to the modem and the other
    > going to the second splitter that feeds three TVs?

    That's exactly how my cable company (RoadRunner) hooked up my house.
    Two-way splitter feeding cable modem and a four-way splitter. The
    four-way then feeds the TV stuff.

    Using a speed test near your location is best. Being in western NY, I
    use this one, and it regularly approaches 13Mbps.
    http://speedtest.twrochester.com/speedtest.php

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2009