Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:27:23 -0600, Chris wrote:

    > Various speed test sites reveal that my current DL speed is roughly 3
    > Mbps, far less than the advertised 10-15 Mbps. Understanding that I
    > would never actually experience 10 Mbps, I do expect something better
    > than 3.
    >
    > Mediacom cable enters house and is split 4 ways: Cable Modem/Phone, HD
    > DVR, HD TV, and SDTV. Would I find better performance if inserted a
    > two-way splitter with one output going to the modem and the other going
    > to the second splitter that feeds three TVs?
    >

    > TIA,
    > Chris

    The only way you can know what your DL speed is, is with software installed
    on your machine. Offsite testing via internet is unreliable. Think about
    what all has to happen in between to get them to show your speed.

    I'd try hooking up just the computer to the cable modem and see what the
    difference is.

    richard, Dec 8, 2009

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:55:01 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:37:14 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>The only way you can know what your DL speed is, is with software installed
    >>on your machine.

    > What?!

    "Google is your friend" - Evan Platt.
    Practice what you preach.

    >>Offsite testing via internet is unreliable.

    > Offsite??
    >
    >>Think about what all has to happen in between to get them to show your speed.

    > Epic fail.

    Yes you have failed epically.

    >>I'd try hooking up just the computer to the cable modem and see what the
    >>difference is.

    > Good advice - that two other people already suggested.

    Spoken like the good troll that you are.

    offsite or off-site
    off-site definition

    off·-site (ôf′sīt′)

    adjective, adverb
    on or at another site, apart from the site of a particular activity or
    happening parts assembled off-site

    google returned 38,000,000 hits for the word.

    richard, Dec 8, 2009

  3. richard wrote:

    > The only way you can know what your DL speed is, is with software
    > installed on your machine.

    I use my browser. (well, I guess that *is* software installed on my
    machine, ain't it?)

    > Offsite testing via internet is unreliable. Think about what all has
    > to happen in between to get them to show your speed.

    Makes me think you don't know what "testing download speed" really is.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 8, 2009
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:34:14 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> The only way you can know what your DL speed is, is with software
    >> installed on your machine.

    > I use my browser. (well, I guess that *is* software installed on my
    > machine, ain't it?)
    >
    >> Offsite testing via internet is unreliable. Think about what all has
    >> to happen in between to get them to show your speed.

    > Makes me think you don't know what "testing download speed" really is.

    explain then, how *THEY* can test your download speed.
    they can not download anything onto your machine. Only you can.
    Unless they send your machine a 1mb file and see how long it takes to get
    loaded on your machine. I ain't about to let that happen.

    richard, Dec 9, 2009
  5. richard

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <l7nbvlsu10cw$> richard
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >explain then, how *THEY* can test your download speed.
    >they can not download anything onto your machine. Only you can.
    >Unless they send your machine a 1mb file and see how long it takes to get
    >loaded on your machine. I ain't about to let that happen.

    Who is "they"?

    Download tests work in a variety of ways, the current preference is a
    Flash client that receives and sends data as needed, but it's not the
    only method.

    Another option is a server that spews 1MB+ worth of HTML comments and
    measures the transfer rate, although this is more fragile due to proxies
    and browser limitations.

    DevilsPGD, Dec 9, 2009
  6. richard wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> The only way you can know what your DL speed is, is with software
    >>> installed on your machine.

    >> I use my browser. (well, I guess that *is* software installed on my
    >> machine, ain't it?)
    >>
    >>> Offsite testing via internet is unreliable. Think about what all has
    >>> to happen in between to get them to show your speed.

    >> Makes me think you don't know what "testing download speed" really
    >> is.

    > explain then, how *THEY* can test your download speed.
    > they can not download anything onto your machine. Only you can. Unless
    > they send your machine a 1mb file and see how long it takes to get
    > loaded on your machine. I ain't about to let that happen.

    Thank you for expertly confirming my suspicions that you don't know much
    of anything. Did you have a look at the link I provided? You may use it
    as well, though speed might not be quite accurate all the way to your
    motel room in Arizona.
    http://speedtest.twrochester.com/speedtest.php

    (Actually, "suspicions" is giving RtS a huge benefit, of course.)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 9, 2009
  7. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Makes me think you don't know what "testing download speed" really
    >> is.

    > Holy crap did you ever hit the nail on the head. :)

    With RtS, that is quite easy... ;-)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 9, 2009
  8. richard

    Top Guest

    In article <l7nbvlsu10cw$>, says...

    > On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:34:14 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    > > richard wrote:
    > >
    > >> The only way you can know what your DL speed is, is with software
    > >> installed on your machine.

    > > I use my browser. (well, I guess that *is* software installed on my
    > > machine, ain't it?)
    > >
    > >> Offsite testing via internet is unreliable. Think about what all has
    > >> to happen in between to get them to show your speed.

    > > Makes me think you don't know what "testing download speed" really is.

    > explain then, how *THEY* can test your download speed.
    > they can not download anything onto your machine. Only you can.
    > Unless they send your machine a 1mb file and see how long it takes to get
    > loaded on your machine. I ain't about to let that happen.

    Once a moron always a moron.

    Top, Dec 9, 2009
  9. Meat Plow wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> [On RtS:] Thank you for expertly confirming my suspicions that you
    >> don't know much of anything.

    > Just kidding right?

    Of course! That was humor.

    > You are just now confirming you suspicions that RtS is really
    > st00pid?

    No, it's a well-known fact...

    --
    -"That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son".
    -Foghorn Leghorn

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 9, 2009
  10. richard

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <hfn4sk$p8u$-september.org> "Beauregard T.
    Shagnasty" <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> Makes me think you don't know what "testing download speed" really
    >>> is.

    >> Holy crap did you ever hit the nail on the head. :)

    >With RtS, that is quite easy... ;-)

    Yeah, you can pretty much start any sentence with "makes me think you
    don't know..." and end up with a win.

    DevilsPGD, Dec 9, 2009