Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:27:23 -0600, Chris wrote:

    >Various speed test sites reveal that my current DL speed is roughly 3
    >Mbps, far less than the advertised 10-15 Mbps. Understanding that I
    >would never actually experience 10 Mbps, I do expect something better
    >than 3.
    >
    >Mediacom cable enters house and is split 4 ways: Cable Modem/Phone, HD
    >DVR, HD TV, and SDTV. Would I find better performance if inserted a

    So that's a single 4 way splitter?

    >two-way splitter with one output going to the modem and the other going

    Depends on the signal strength reaching the devices and if Mediacom put
    the splitter's in or not and if they all are the same type.

    You may want to get them in and check the signals. Your CM should also
    have status page / signal strength info available via a web browser.
    Thier support line should be able to confirm if the levels are correct.

    >to the second splitter that feeds three TVs?

    Depends on the attenuation of the splitter.

    You are suggesting 1->2way with CM and then out to the 3 TVs, you are
    adding extra attenuation / splitter before the TV then again at the 3w
    junction.

    Better to try disconnecting TVs and using a matching 1 -> 1 attenuator
    to the CM only.

    You have to be careful changing spliiers / attenuation. So you don't
    have too low or high power levels.

    The CM system here is split somewhere under the floor, and the company
    use this sort of system, last time I looked anyway.

    Room 1 - coax feed into a TV/Radio junction box. Both connected.
    Room 2 - coax feed into a single junction box to 2 way
    attenuator/splitter -> TV/CM.
    Room 1 - coax feed into a TV/Radio junction box. TV connected, Radio
    connection terminated.

    >TIA,
    >Chris

    Me