Re: cable internet hookup

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, May 29, 2004.

  1. "Drew" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All:
    >
    > I got a self installation with my new cable Internet service. Have a
    > quick question. There is no cable outlet in the room where my
    > computer is. However in the room right next to it there is a cable
    > jack and I've ran cable off of it thru a small hole in the wall into
    > the room where my computer is to use with my TV card. The TV card
    > picks up channels just fine and works great.
    >
    > My question is this. Can I just put a splitter on the cable I've ran
    > into my computer room and run one cable to my TV card and the other to
    > my new cable modem? Is that okay to do as far as cable Internet?
    > Will it still work okay or will that mess up the signal for the
    > Internet? Does cable Internet require a direct connection to a cable
    > jack or should it work just as well with this splitter configuration.

    It should work fine, but you might not get a strong enough signal. That's
    what happened to me when I first got my cable modem a couple years ago. We
    eventually had to go into the basement, find where the cable entered the
    house, and split it off two ways: one way dedicated to the computer, and the
    other dedicated to the TV. I think that's what Barry suggested.

    Patrick Michael, May 29, 2004

  2. Barry,

    I'm glad you correct that, I was gonna say...........1976............wow!!!!

    Edward W.
    El Paso, TX

    Edward A. Weissbard, Jun 9, 2004

  3. On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 04:18:15 GMT, "Edward A. Weissbard"
    <> wrote:

    >Barry,
    >
    >I'm glad you correct that, I was gonna say...........1976............wow!!!!
    >
    >Edward W.
    >El Paso, TX

    We had cable here by 1976...cable TV, that is. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 9, 2004