Re: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by swing.cock@gmail.com, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    On Sep 26, 1:52 pm, chrisv <> wrote:
    > Mercury wrote:
    > >I tried Linux, I really did. The time I spent trying to get it to work can
    > >be measured in days. It the end, Linux failed to work for me.

    > Seems that most of your "real" problems are due to a lack of support
    > for somewhat "oddball" hardware. Not everyone will having those
    > problems. You would not be those problems either, if you had selected
    > your hardware with Linux in mind.
    >
    > Keep in mind that the Linux/OSS developers often have to painstakingly
    > reverse-engineer and code for a massive quantity of different
    > hardware, while Microsoft places much of that burden on the hardware
    > makers. That Linux/OSS should not be condemned because it doesn't
    > "nicely" support every possible hardware.
    >
    > And hey, if Linux just isn't working-out for you, don't use it. Many
    > people have "good reasons" to stay with Windows, whether it's hardware
    > or software (applications). That's no reason to come into Linux
    > groups and complain how it's not working-out for you. Asking for help
    > is one thing, bitching and whining are something else.
    >
    > From now on, I'll just say "see above" when you raise this type of
    > point.
    >
    > >- Can't get TV working with my ATI All-In-Wonder card. (Works fine in XP) I
    > >can already hear the protests "It's ATI's fault." Well guess what? I don't
    > >care. It works with Windows and not with Linux. So I'll use Windows. Any
    > >normal person would come to the same conclusion.

    > See above.
    >
    > >- Doesn't even acknowledge the existence of my dial-up modem. (Works
    > >perfectly in XP) Similar story as above. I don't care if it's the
    > >manufacturer's fault for not releasing Linux drivers. If it doesn't work in
    > >Linux, I won't use Linux.

    > See above.
    >
    > >- A full third of the distros I tried came up with a blank screeen, either
    > >during install or on first boot. My monitor indicated "out of range". There
    > >is *no* excuse for this kind of behavior. If this were a high-school
    > >programming project, that right there would earn it an F.

    > See above.
    >
    > >- I have a simple widescreen monitor but getting it to its native resolution
    > >was a PITA to say the least, and involved editing some stupid config file
    > >(xorg.conf) by hand. Again, no excuse for this. XP never had any issues with
    > >the monitor.

    > See above.
    >
    > >- Simple 7-button mouse. (4 real buttons + clickable scroll wheel) Works in
    > >XP instantly, without the need to install any driver. To get it to work with
    > >Linux was an adventure, in the bad sense of the word.

    > See above.
    >
    > >- This ludicrously stupid security paradigm where to do anything interesting
    > >(such as editing config files to get my mouse or monitor to work) I have to
    > >use "sudo". It's like Vista's UAC, but much much worse, since I can't simply
    > >continue after clicking a button, I have to drop to the command line and
> [...]

    A perfect example of the *great* help you get from the Linux
    community.
    What it boils down to is:

    1. Blame the user.
    2. You are using the wrong distribution out of the 750 different
    versions of Linux that exist.

    Yea sure...

    And you fools wonder why Linux is so unpopular?

    Just look in the mirror at your own posts and you will have your
    answer.
    , Sep 26, 2007