Re: Byebyeads

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Don Kelloway, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Don Kelloway

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Saint" <> wrote in message
    > I am sick to death of these bloody pop ups and can't locate where the

    source
    > on my PC is. I have disabled the Messenger function but this is not

    the
    > cure.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to detect and rid myself of this thing?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Saint

    I think the first need will be to identify how they are occurring. Here
    are a couple of questions (in order of possibility) that may help to
    pinpoint the cause:

    Could they be attributed to a recent application or spyware that may
    have been installed? If so, install an application designed to detect
    and remove spyware, etc. I like to use LavaSoft's Ad-aware 6.

    Could they be attributed to the surfing of websites (i.e. the use of
    ActiveX, Java, etc)? If so, ensure that your web browser is configured
    to disallow such settings or at least configure it to only allow it to
    sites you trust.

    For myself, I configure IE's Internet Zone to High and disallow/disable
    everything. With such a configuration, I never receive pop-ups. For
    the sites I would like to receive pop-ups from, I add the website's
    domain name to the Trusted Sites category.

    --
    Best regards,
    Don Kelloway

    Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your