Re: BW Landscape

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by peternew, Jun 26, 2013.

  1. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/25/2013 9:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-25 17:42:31 -0700, Dudley Hanks
    > <> said:
    >
    >> Ignoring things like the crooked horizon, etc, just wondering how
    >> this works as a BW conversion...
    >>
    >> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/BWLandscape.jpg
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dudley

    > As a basic B&W conversion it is OK. However, it looks to me as if you
    > probably just went grey scale, or did a desaturate. So, it has a
    > lifeless feel to it.
    > Here is a straightened version I worked with NIK Silver Efex Pro 2.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/TestPic-SEw.jpg >

    And here is my version. I was too lazy to straighten. i ran it through
    NIK and then ddi a levels adjustment. I did not touch the sky.

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 26, 2013

  2. peternew

    philo  Guest

    On 06/25/2013 09:36 PM, peternew wrote:
    > On 6/25/2013 9:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2013-06-25 17:42:31 -0700, Dudley Hanks
    >> <> said:
    >>
    >>> Ignoring things like the crooked horizon, etc, just wondering how
    >>> this works as a BW conversion...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/BWLandscape.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dudley

    >> As a basic B&W conversion it is OK. However, it looks to me as if you
    >> probably just went grey scale, or did a desaturate. So, it has a
    >> lifeless feel to it.
    >> Here is a straightened version I worked with NIK Silver Efex Pro 2.
    >> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/TestPic-SEw.jpg >
    >>

    > And here is my version. I was too lazy to straighten. i ran it through
    > NIK and then ddi a levels adjustment. I did not touch the sky.
    >
    > <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

    I like the hi-contrast version
    philo , Jun 26, 2013

  3. peternew

    philo  Guest

    On 06/25/2013 10:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-25 19:46:02 -0700, philo <> said:

    >>> And here is my version. I was too lazy to straighten. i ran it through
    >>> NIK and then ddi a levels adjustment. I did not touch the sky.
    >>>
    >>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>
    >>>

    >> I like the hi-contrast version

    > With my NIK conversion, I used a red filter to start with. Then I made
    > various brightness/contrast/structure tweaks to taste.
    > To finish I added a light sepia and a film preset for Panatomic X.
    > Here is what it looked like in the NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 window.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_245.jpg >

    That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
    "artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.
    philo , Jun 26, 2013
  4. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/26/2013 6:25 AM, philo wrote:
    > On 06/25/2013 10:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> I like the hi-contrast version

    >> With my NIK conversion, I used a red filter to start with. Then I made
    >> various brightness/contrast/structure tweaks to taste.
    >> To finish I added a light sepia and a film preset for Panatomic X.
    >> Here is what it looked like in the NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 window.
    >> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_245.jpg >
    >>

    > That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
    > "artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.

    I never do any artificial enhancement. //end Bullshit tag

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 26, 2013
  5. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/26/2013 8:31 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-26 05:20:09 -0700, peternew <> said:

    >>> That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
    >>> "artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.

    >> I never do any artificial enhancement. //end Bullshit tag

    > Choke, cough, splutter!!!
    > I am making the assumption you were in full irony mode with that remark.
    >
    > Hell!! All of us do nothing but "artificial enhancement" from the
    > moment we open an image file in your editing/adjustment software of
    > choice, and say to yourself "what can I do to fix this shot"?

    <G>
    You missed my //end tag?

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 26, 2013
  6. peternew

    philo  Guest

    On 06/26/2013 07:20 AM, peternew wrote:
    > On 6/26/2013 6:25 AM, philo wrote:

    >>> With my NIK conversion, I used a red filter to start with. Then I made
    >>> various brightness/contrast/structure tweaks to taste.
    >>> To finish I added a light sepia and a film preset for Panatomic X.
    >>> Here is what it looked like in the NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 window.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_245.jpg >
    >>>

    >> That's very good. It looks more striking than the original...but not as
    >> "artificially enhanced-looking" as the hi-contrast example.

    > I never do any artificial enhancement. //end Bullshit tag

    Maybe I redundantly repeated myself over and over again several times.

    FWIW: I really like hi-contrast
    philo , Jun 26, 2013