Re: Burning and Unpacking Slow down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, May 20, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "ChairMan" <> wrote in

    > In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a severe slow down in burning
    > DVDs and unpacking compressed files.
    > It use to take 5-8 minutes to burn a DVD at 8x-10x speed and about 5-6
    > minutes to unpack a 3-5 gig compressed file<rar>
    > It now takes about 30 minutes to unpack and burn anything if not longer.
    > It appears the speed on burns is about 2x even though it's set to burn
    > at 8x-10x. There are no other slow downs in running any other programs.
    > Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this to happen.

    You know this last absolutely by disabling *all* background programs and
    doing a burn without them? Have you tried repeating a burn you did when it
    was running "faster"? The problem could easily be differences needed to
    process the files involved. Have you run a just updated malware scanner on
    *all* files on this computer - run it overnight, if it doesn't take on
    that order of time, it's not checking *all* files.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 20, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:18:32 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >You know this last absolutely by disabling *all* background programs and
    >doing a burn without them?

    Oh boy, here we go again...

    > Have you run a just updated malware scanner on
    >*all* files on this computer - run it overnight, if it doesn't take on
    >that order of time, it's not checking *all* files.

    To "assume" is to make an ass out of chucktard.

    My girlfriends parents have a computer that really gets little use.
    Finishes a virus scan in about 2 hours. Does that mean it's not
    checking *all* files?

    Don't talk if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Evan Platt, May 20, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Have you run a just updated malware scanner on
    >*all* files on this computer - run it overnight, if it doesn't take on
    >that order of time, it's not checking *all* files.

    Says a Win98 user, you running maybe 255mhz?

    To the OP, fragmentation could be a problem, might defrag your system

    --

    Hiding private files just got easier.
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/TAK10927.jpg
  4. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Have you run a just updated malware scanner on
    >>*all* files on this computer - run it overnight, if it doesn't take on
    >>that order of time, it's not checking *all* files.

    > Says a Win98 user, you running maybe 255mhz?
    >
    > To the OP, fragmentation could be a problem, might defrag your system

    LOL the worst answer yet.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 22, 2009
  5. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 21 May 2009 23:55:37 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >LOL the worst answer yet.

    From the King of Worst answers...
    Evan Platt, May 22, 2009
  6. chuckcar

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Have you run a just updated malware scanner on
    >>>*all* files on this computer - run it overnight, if it doesn't take on
    >>>that order of time, it's not checking *all* files.

    >> Says a Win98 user, you running maybe 255mhz?
    >>
    >> To the OP, fragmentation could be a problem, might defrag your system

    >LOL the worst answer yet.

    Yawn...

    And yours was the proper suggestion?

    Your time zone is still +0000, that other group you were booted from
    must really have you scared.
    --

    Unusual and awesome view of Saturn
    http://tinyurl.com/r9fqxb
  7. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:29:29 -0700, wrote:

    >Your time zone is still +0000, that other group you were booted from
    >must really have you scared.

    We can boot someone from this froup?

    Where do I cast a vote? I've got a few candidates. :-D
    Evan Platt, May 22, 2009
  8. chuckcar

    Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:29:29 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Your time zone is still +0000, that other group you were booted from
    >>must really have you scared.

    >We can boot someone from this froup?
    >
    >Where do I cast a vote? I've got a few candidates. :-D

    When they first showed up in this group, Tony mentioned Chuctard as
    being unwelcome in the group they had been frequenting. So Chucktard
    left and Tony followed.

    Hamster, no time zone, I keep thinking he's concerned he will make
    someone mad enough to look him up.

    Won't google for it, but I still remember someone claiming that if
    they found where Kman lived, they would swim all the way to Australia
    to kick his A$$ (hooked big time :} ).

    --

    Unusual and awesome view of Saturn
    http://tinyurl.com/r9fqxb
    , May 23, 2009
  9. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > Evan Platt <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:29:29 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your time zone is still +0000, that other group you were booted from
    >>>must really have you scared.

    >>We can boot someone from this froup?
    >>
    >>Where do I cast a vote? I've got a few candidates. :-D

    > When they first showed up in this group, Tony mentioned Chuctard as
    > being unwelcome in the group they had been frequenting. So Chucktard
    > left and Tony followed.
    >
    > Hamster, no time zone, I keep thinking he's concerned he will make
    > someone mad enough to look him up.
    >
    > Won't google for it, but I still remember someone claiming that if
    > they found where Kman lived, they would swim all the way to Australia
    > to kick his A$$ (hooked big time :} ).

    If you knew sh*t you'd know at least two things: Never to believe anything
    Wesley Mouch (his real name apparently - I'll leave you a second to laugh)
    says and that the NNTP servers - it this case tornvall set the post time.
    That particular server is in Sweden If I recall correctly which is GMT -1. If
    you don't understand time zones have some adult explain it to you.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 23, 2009
  10. chuckcar

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> When they first showed up in this group, Tony mentioned Chuctard as
    >> being unwelcome in the group they had been frequenting. So Chucktard
    >> left and Tony followed.

    >If you knew sh*t you'd know at least two things: Never to believe anything
    >Wesley Mouch (his real name apparently

    And yet he has more believability than you.