Re: Bulleted lists, Symbol font and PDFs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve B, Feb 9, 2009.

  1. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    On Feb 10, 10:02 am, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Steve B. wrote:
    > > A curiousity, possibly to do with the frequently irritating PDF format
    > > [yes, I appreciate that's a tautology, like "PIN number" - and that I
    > > might irritate some people who actually LIKE pdfs.]

    > > Anyway, I was reading a PDF document which contained a bullet-point
    > > list (the classic black blobs). I copied one of the points in the
    > > list, inadvertently including the bullet, and pasted it into a
    > > Microsoft Word document.

    > > I then went to put text of my own around the quote and it came out in
    > > pseudo-Greek.

    > > I realised the black dot is part of the Symbol font and that font
    > > setting held for the text I was inserting.

    > > Easily fixed, but it's an error I've not seen before.

    > > I created a bulleted list in Word and tried to reproduce the oddity,
    > > but I can't make it happen. The blob still registers as Symbol but
    > > adjacent inserted text doesn't seem to pick up that setting in Word.

    > > Is this something peculiar to PDFs? Or did the author of the document
    > > create his bulleted list in an irregular way?

    > > Just curious.

    > It's most likely a peculiarity of the particular PDF reader you are using,
    > not of the PDF file itself. What reader software are you cutting from?
    > --
    > A.- Hide quoted text -

    I was using the standard free Adobe reader; can't give you the release
    number as I'm not at my home machine right now; but it's the latest
    version, I'm almost sure; I upgraded it only a few days ago.

    Steve B.
    Steve B, Feb 9, 2009