Re: Building my own PC nowdays?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Plato, May 6, 2008.

  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Sarah Houston wrote:

    > What are my options if I decided I wanted to build my own XP desktop PC
    > nowdays?

    Yes I'm a home builder. But also yes, its easier now to just buy a pc
    from dell or whatever.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 6, 2008

  2. Plato

    Snit Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> stated in post 481fef53$0$260$ on
    5/5/08 10:42 PM:

    > Sarah Houston wrote:
    >>
    >> What are my options if I decided I wanted to build my own XP desktop PC
    >> nowdays?

    > Yes I'm a home builder. But also yes, its easier now to just buy a pc
    > from dell or whatever.

    And if you build your own and you risk being stuck in the ping pong game of
    two companies blaming each other... if you buy from one Dell or HP or
    someone like that *they* get to be the single point of contact... and then
    you only have to deal with one department blaming the other. :)

    --
    Prescott Computer Guy: Michael Glasser
    http://prescottcomputerguy.org

    Snit, May 6, 2008

  3. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Snit wrote:

    > > Sarah Houston wrote:
    > >>
    > >> What are my options if I decided I wanted to build my own XP desktop PC
    > >> nowdays?

    > > Yes I'm a home builder. But also yes, its easier now to just buy a pc
    > > from dell or whatever.

    > And if you build your own and you risk being stuck in the ping pong game of
    > two companies blaming each other... if you buy from one Dell or HP or
    > someone like that *they* get to be the single point of contact... and then
    > you only have to deal with one department blaming the other. :)

    hehe
    grin

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 10, 2008
  4. Plato

    Snit Guest

    "Sarah Houston" <> stated in post
    Xns9A99CA10E8BE2SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 on 5/9/08 6:51 PM:

    > Plato <|@|.|> wrote :

    >>> And if you build your own and you risk being stuck in the ping pong
    >>> game of two companies blaming each other... if you buy from one Dell
    >>> or HP or someone like that *they* get to be the single point of
    >>> contact... and then you only have to deal with one department
    >>> blaming the other. :)

    >> hehe
    >> grin

    > Reminds one of Dilbert. :)

    I used to work at Intuit... and apparently several of the people there used
    to work at Pacific Bell with Scott Adams - and helped inspire some of his
    characters. Easy to believe. :)

    Snit, May 10, 2008
  5. Plato

    Xns9A99DD9202FE9SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 on 5/9/08 8:46 PM:

    > Snit <> wrote :
    >
    >> "Sarah Houston" <> stated in post
    >> Xns9A99CA10E8BE2SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 on 5/9/08 6:51
    >> PM:

    >>> Reminds one of Dilbert. :)
    >>>

    >> I used to work at Intuit... and apparently several of the people
    >> there used to work at Pacific Bell with Scott Adams - and helped
    >> inspire some of his characters. Easy to believe. :)

    > Having worked in electronics R&D for 27 years, I strongly related to
    > Dilbert.
    >
    > I once worked with this guy in the early 70's who was such a lousy
    > engineer, but he was hispanic and they were afraid to fire him, so they
    > stopped allowing him to design anything bigger than fuse values and made
    > him a desk jockey, what the japanese called a "window watcher" when they
    > used to guarantee jobs for life. ( don't know if they still do that,
    > hope not )
    >
    > He finally left.
    >
    > Most people hated him, but the company seemed to have a going away party
    > every 2 weeks. It was a good sized company with good sized turnover.
    >
    > But with this guy, I came up with a new idea. Being no one liked him,
    > instead of having a "going away party" ( cake and all ), there should be
    > such thing as a "went away party" after the guy leaves, as in "glad you
    > went away"!
    >
    > I swear, more companies ought to have those.
    >
    > But of course everyone was PC, so they laughed nervously at my idea and
    > went and threw the guy a "going away party" anyway. :-}
    >
    > It was an interesting place because they had a chemistry lab right next
    > to the electronics lab, and the chemist would mix up some pure
    > pharmaceutical grade ethanol for holidays and flavor it like lemonade,
    > for celebrating with. Whew. Used to drink it from beakers. :)

    I had a boss whom nobody liked - she was hired for no other reason than to
    be the "hatchet woman"... she would sit in her office listening to calls
    (this was a tech support center) and if she did not like what she heard she
    would walk to your cubicle with a pink slip in hand. The company was trying
    to reduce its work force - she would do this at least 2-3 times a week and
    seldom come out of her office other than that (except to go to the
    over-abundance of meetings).

    By the time she was there I was - happily - away from the "floor" and was a
    trainer (Quicken and TurboTax). Her first action with us was to tell us to
    drop all training projects and wait for further instructions. She then
    forgot about us and gave us nothing to do for two weeks. We took it upon
    ourselves to walk the floor helping the poor shmoes on the phones until she
    told us that was not our job!

    She become known, behind her back, as the "Wicked Witch"... and people would
    hum "Ding dong the witch is dead" after she walked by. She ended up
    catching me on the phone with my then-girlfriend (now wife) talking about
    her... and she was so pleased with herself. Later that day she walked up to
    me in front of a group of friends / employees and started teasing me about
    how she caught me and how clever she was. With a smile I told her she
    should wear a bell so I could hear her coming!

    She stormed off, went into her office, and slammed the door. My friends
    told me to expect to be fired and, well, I did expect to be (this was not my
    first run in with her). About 10 minutes later she opens her door, points
    to me, and gives me the "come here" finger gesture. Yup, I expected to be
    fired.

    I walked over; she was clearly upset and says "I will *not* wear a cow
    bell!"

    I could not help but laugh. Our loud. The woman had been steaming in her
    office the whole time over my comment.

    Shortly after, and by coincidence, she and I turned in our two week notices
    at the same time... on our mutual last days of work I left a small cow bell
    on her desk with the words "ding dong" engraved in it. While I did not
    leave a note I bet she knew it was from me. :)

    Gotta love corporate America.

    Snit, May 10, 2008
  6. Plato

    Xns9A99E98AC43A1SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 on 5/9/08 9:57 PM:

    > Snit <> wrote :
    >
    >> I had a boss whom nobody liked - she was hired for no other reason
    >> than to be the "hatchet woman"... she would sit in her office
    >> listening to calls (this was a tech support center) and if she did
    >> not like what she heard she would walk to your cubicle with a pink
    >> slip in hand. The company was trying to reduce its work force - she
    >> would do this at least 2-3 times a week and seldom come out of her
    >> office other than that (except to go to the over-abundance of
    >> meetings).

    > Some places down south where they woulda taken her for a nice air boat
    > ride in the swamp one night, never to be seen or heard from again.
    >
    > But a bunch of fat happy gators would be belching all over the area.
    >
    > :)

    They would have spit her out. :)

    >> By the time she was there I was - happily - away from the "floor" and
    >> was a trainer (Quicken and TurboTax). Her first action with us was
    >> to tell us to drop all training projects and wait for further
    >> instructions. She then forgot about us and gave us nothing to do for
    >> two weeks. We took it upon ourselves to walk the floor helping the
    >> poor shmoes on the phones until she told us that was not our job!

    > Jeez.

    Well, it was kinda cool being paid for 2 weeks to surf the web, walk around
    and talk to people, take long lunches, etc. :) Then again, I am one of
    those people who actually wants to feel like I am getting something done.

    >> She become known, behind her back, as the "Wicked Witch"... and
    >> people would hum "Ding dong the witch is dead" after she walked by.
    >> She ended up catching me on the phone with my then-girlfriend (now
    >> wife) talking about her... and she was so pleased with herself.
    >> Later that day she walked up to me in front of a group of friends /
    >> employees and started teasing me about how she caught me and how
    >> clever she was.

    > And when we see stories on CNN about someone going postal in the work
    > place, no one understands why. They blame guns of course.
    >
    > Like Rosie O'Donnel blames the spoon for her being fat.

    The scary thing is I could go on and on about her and her insanity... making
    people wait for an hour if they had a meeting with her and telling them to
    not leave a small area outside her office (I would wait 15 minutes max and
    then leave a note telling her to walk across the building to find me), and
    on and on...

    >> With a smile I told her she should wear a bell so I
    >> could hear her coming!

    > LOL!
    >
    > Nowdays you might get her a cow tag, or the new smaller modern version
    > of them.

    Naw - the image of her with a big bell around her neck is the one I was
    imagining. :)

    >> She stormed off, went into her office, and slammed the door. My
    >> friends told me to expect to be fired and, well, I did expect to be
    >> (this was not my first run in with her). About 10 minutes later she
    >> opens her door, points to me, and gives me the "come here" finger
    >> gesture. Yup, I expected to be fired.
    >>
    >> I walked over; she was clearly upset and says "I will *not* wear a
    >> cow bell!"

    > ROFL!
    >
    > Mooooo!

    The funny thing being I did *not* say "cow bell", I merely said "bell".

    >> I could not help but laugh. Our loud. The woman had been steaming
    >> in her office the whole time over my comment.

    > She had feelings? You hurt them?

    Call me evil: I simply did not care if she was offended.

    >> Shortly after, and by coincidence, she and I turned in our two week
    >> notices at the same time... on our mutual last days of work I left a
    >> small cow bell on her desk with the words "ding dong" engraved in it.
    >> While I did not leave a note I bet she knew it was from me. :)
    >>
    >> Gotta love corporate America.

    > LOL!

    I seriously never did figure out why she did not fire me. Maybe it was
    because I was the one running the trainer web site and there was no set
    replacement for me? Maybe because I had printed out laws that she was
    asking me to break and had brought them to HR so they thought I might sue?
    I really do not know.

    Snit, May 10, 2008