Re: Buddy Holly anyone

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Dec 18, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:39:57 -0600, philo wrote:

    > ran into this friend of mine at the farmer's market over the summer
    > he told me he's now hit the big time and people now pay THIRTY dollars a
    > ticket to see him.
    >
    > (he was one of the early punk rockers here in town
    > but now does "Buddy Holly")
    >

    > watch for me at the end of the year! he said
    >
    > so I Googled
    >

    > http://www.sunsetplayhouse.com/onstage/show.php?id=21
    >

    > sheesh just $28
    >
    > what a braggart...everyone knows the BIG TIME starts at $30
    >

    > sheesh (shakes head)
    >
    > stunned

    Who?
    If there is any one person I can not stand in the music business, it has to
    be Buddy Holly. Over rated, can't sing, and over played. The only reason he
    even got noticed is because a DJ locked himself in the studio and played
    Holly's records for several hours.

    When it came time to go really big time, you soon found out what a lousy
    singer he really was. He made a recording with a symphony, without the
    "crickets", and it just sucked. Royally.

    But checking out your, uh, buddy, at least he can sing. And it seems he's
    got a good listing on google.

    richard, Dec 18, 2009

  2. richard

    philo Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:
    > richard mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    > snip
    >
    >> Who?

    > Buddy Holly, of course.
    >
    >> If there is any one person I can not stand in the music business, it has to
    >> be Buddy Holly.

    > That's a recommendation, right there, coming from you.
    >
    >> Over rated, can't sing, and over played. The only reason he
    >> even got noticed is because a DJ locked himself in the studio and played
    >> Holly's records for several hours.

    > The fact that a number of artists, including The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen,
    > Bob Bylan, and Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones).
    >
    >> When it came time to go really big time, you soon found out what a lousy
    >> singer he really was. He made a recording with a symphony, without the
    >> "crickets", and it just sucked. Royally.

    > ITYM "True Love Ways", which he wrote for his wife, and performed with an
    > eighteen piece orchestra. It wasn't released until after his death. Mickey
    > Gilley recordedd it in 1980, and it hit No.1 on the Country Billboard
    > charts.
    >
    >> But checking out your, uh, buddy, at least he can sing. And it seems he's
    >> got a good listing on google.

    > Well, you just put the hex on the poor guy.

    LOL

    that's OK , my buddy , Mark is pretty immune to hexes.

    he's come over here twice with a hex-in-tow

    viz: a women so drunk and boisterous that one of my most obnoxious
    buddies has never shown up here again!!!

    philo, Dec 18, 2009

  3. Evan Platt wrote:

    > richard <> wrote:
    >>Who?

    > Wow.. Serious? And didn't you create a page about music?

    I understand it. RtS was only seven years old the day the music died.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 18, 2009
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:41:43 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>>Who?

    >> Wow.. Serious? And didn't you create a page about music?

    > I understand it. RtS was only seven years old the day the music died.

    At least I was living then as compared to you or evan eh?
    Contrary to popular belief, "The day the music died", ain't about Holly at
    all. It's a musical look at history.

    "For every paper ride in February, bad news on the doorsteps."
    A slim reference to Holly perhaps.
    "Eight miles high and falling fast."
    Referring to the "Byrds" song "eight miles high".

    I haven't quite figured out exactly what is referred to as "The thorny
    crown". It could be the world cup trophy.
    So many lines refer to well known events.

    richard, Dec 18, 2009
  5. richard wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Wow.. Serious? And didn't you create a page about music?

    >> I understand it. RtS was only seven years old the day the music died.

    > At least I was living then as compared to you or evan eh?

    I hate to disappoint ya, bub, but I attended my 50th class reunion this
    past summer. I was part of the committee as well. Our Saturday night
    entertainment, a mostly doo-wap band, played quite a bit of 1959 music,
    including Buddy Holly stuff.

    > Contrary to popular belief, "The day the music died", ain't about
    > Holly at all. It's a musical look at history.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_day_the_music_died

    "On February 3, 1959, a small-plane crash ... The day was later called
    The Day the Music Died by Don McLean, in his song "American Pie.""

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 18, 2009
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:07:03 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:54:45 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>At least I was living then as compared to you or evan eh?

    > You mean at most.
    >
    > So what, you were alive then? What does that have to do with anything?
    >
    >>Contrary to popular belief, "The day the music died", ain't about Holly at
    >>all. It's a musical look at history.

    > Yes. Contrary to what everyone but you thinks, you are right. Everyone
    > else is wrong.
    >
    >>"For every paper ride in February, bad news on the doorsteps."
    >>A slim reference to Holly perhaps.

    > Get the lyrics right.
    >
    > "But February made me shiver
    > with every paper I'd deliver
    > bad news on the doorstep.
    > I couldn't take one more step
    >
    > I can't remember if I cried
    > When I read about his widowed bride,
    > But something touched me deep inside
    > The day the music died."
    >
    > Holly's wife was pregnant and shortly after the accident miscarried.
    >
    > Hmm... I don't know, seems pretty clear there it's far from slim.
    >
    >>"Eight miles high and falling fast."
    >>Referring to the "Byrds" song "eight miles high".

    > Well, you got one part right.
    >
    >>I haven't quite figured out exactly what is referred to as "The thorny
    >>crown". It could be the world cup trophy.
    >>So many lines refer to well known events.

    > http://www.whrc-wi.org/americanpie.htm
    >
    > Take a read.

    I did. Fairly close to what I had in mind.
    As I said, the song was not entirely about Holly, it only made a few
    references to him.

    Some years ago whilst out traveling the countryside, I had been listening
    to a radio station that had a short interview with Don McClaine, in which
    he stated that, "He had heard the song on the radio and loved it so much he
    wanted to do it.". Problem is, I can't find any reference to a version
    earlier than his anywhere.

    So this version may have been a rewrite of what he had heard.

    richard, Dec 18, 2009
  7. richard

    Mara Guest

    http://web.archive.org/web/20070826145918rn_1/www.lart.com/stupidrichard/

    --
    True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is
    seldom known until it is lost.

    Mara, Dec 18, 2009
  8. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> I hate to disappoint ya, bub, but I attended my 50th class reunion
    >> this past summer. I was part of the committee as well. Our Saturday
    >> night entertainment, a mostly doo-wap band, played quite a bit of
    >> 1959 music, including Buddy Holly stuff.

    > OMG you old fart! Just kidding :)

    You're only as old as you feel. <g>

    --
    -bts
    -Class of 1959

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 19, 2009
  9. Evan Platt wrote:
    <snip>
    > Do you or anyone else have the link to the picture of RtS (it was on a
    > kook-a-pedia site or something, IIRC).
    >
    > Building security has asked for it. Apparently they want it, and when
    > they notified the local PD to give them a heads up, PD wants a copy
    > too.

    <snip>

    http://home.comcast.net/~unit24/cenkoc/

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Dec 19, 2009
  10. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:22:31 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> I understand it. RtS was only seven years old the day the music died.

    >> At least I was living then as compared to you or evan eh?

    > I hate to disappoint ya, bub, but I attended my 50th class reunion this
    > past summer. I was part of the committee as well. Our Saturday night
    > entertainment, a mostly doo-wap band, played quite a bit of 1959 music,
    > including Buddy Holly stuff.
    >
    >> Contrary to popular belief, "The day the music died", ain't about
    >> Holly at all. It's a musical look at history.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_day_the_music_died
    >
    > "On February 3, 1959, a small-plane crash ... The day was later called
    > The Day the Music Died by Don McLean, in his song "American Pie.""

    That was how it was claimed to be. Some enterprising soul somewhere figured
    that because Holly died in February, that the song was therefor about
    Holly. Not true.

    As noted in the link Evan provided, there is no proof that Holly's plane
    just happened to be named "American Pie". McLean stated that he himself had
    created the words.

    "I drove my Chevy to *THE LEVEE* but the levee was dry"
    There are 3 distinct possibilities as to what that actually refers too, one
    of which is a bar named the levee. "Was dry", in this case could mean
    either the bar was closed or out of booze.
    Hence the next line, "The good ol boys were drinkin whiskey and rye...".

    http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/americanpie.asp

    richard, Dec 19, 2009
  11. richard wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>>
    >>> At least I was living then as compared to you or evan eh?

    >> I hate to disappoint ya, bub, but I attended my 50th class reunion
    >> this past summer. ...

    No comment, youngster?

    >>> Contrary to popular belief, "The day the music died", ain't about
    >>> Holly at all. It's a musical look at history.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_day_the_music_died
    >>
    >> "On February 3, 1959, a small-plane crash ... The day was later
    >> called The Day the Music Died by Don McLean, in his song "American
    >> Pie.""

    > That was how it was claimed to be. Some enterprising soul somewhere
    > figured that because Holly died in February, that the song was
    > therefor about Holly. Not true.

    Who cares? Though the 'enterprising soul' does appear to be Don McLean
    (or his alter ego, Don McLaine...).

    <snip rest of drivel>

    --
    -bts