Re: BT Hub phone alternative

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tim, Sep 23, 2008.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Carl wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been directed to this newsgroup to ask for advice. I do not use
    > the BT Home Hub, as I've heard too many poor reports about it. I'd like
    > to use the Voip phonecalls they offer though. Could any of you recommend
    > a phone that will plug in to my ethernet port on the back of my DG834GT
    > Netgear router? A handset that can do both landline and BT voip would be
    > great, along with any configuration advice, I don't need to change my
    > router, as it is suffient for the speed of internet that I receive
    > already. Thanks very much! I haven't the first clue about Voip, beyond
    > using the verizon service that used to be offered with msn, and that was
    > a year or more ago.

    You just need an IP phone or ATA.

    Siemens C475IP fulfils your requirement of being both an IP phone and a
    normal phone in one.

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 23, 2008

  2. Tim

    Tim Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > Carl wrote:
    >> Thank you, Tim.

    > Be warned Carl, Until such time as Siemans update the settings on the
    > ATA part of the C475IP you will be unble to use any of their IP phones
    > with be most cost effective VOIP service providers. (Betamax) Which give
    > mostly free calls to most countries in the world.

    What's the problem with Siemens gigaset and betamax then?

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 23, 2008

  3. Tim

    Ian Pawson Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > Carl wrote:
    >> Thank you, Tim.

    > Be warned Carl, Until such time as Siemans update the settings on the
    > ATA part of the C475IP you will be unble to use any of their IP phones
    > with be most cost effective VOIP service providers. (Betamax) Which give
    > mostly free calls to most countries in the world.
    >
    > I unfotunately have already made that mistake and at the moment have
    > £250 worth of Siemans IP phones not being able to be used due to the
    > next to useless "dial plan" and SIP account set-up which is one of the
    > most important features of any VOIP phone.
    >
    > I would suggest taking other peoples opinions more seriosly. Ones that
    > don't have a specific interest in pushing the phones they distribute!
    >
    > It's one very small problem that is currently ruining what has the
    > prospect of being a very good phone set-up!
    >
    > Hopefully Siemans will ammend things with a firmware fix very quickly,
    > (Don't hold your breath though) if so, I will no doubt be able to
    > praise Siemans IP phones highly. Until then unless you want to set up
    > your own Asterix PBX server You're best off with a more usable ATA which
    > you can plug your ordainairy DECT telephones into.
    > It's a cheaper more functional solution which means you can use existing
    > telephones without modification.
    >
    > HTH
    > Pete

    Well I have a C475IP (2 handset) and it works fine with my Betamax
    service - very pleased with it - does everything that I need for both
    incoming and outgoing calls.

    Ian Pawson, Sep 23, 2008
  4. Tim

    Ian Pawson Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >
    >> Well I have a C475IP (2 handset) and it works fine with my Betamax
    >> service - very pleased with it - does everything that I need for both
    >> incoming and outgoing calls.

    > So you can dail a straight 01 etc number and it auto prefixes it with
    > 0044 and your calls are set in the address book as standard national
    > 01,02,07 etc format so the callers display by name when presented with
    > incoming caller ID ?
    >
    > And you don't get a voice saying "calls need to start with 00 and the
    > country number, please check and re-dial"
    >
    > etc etc?
    >
    > Perhps there is a big difference between the S685IP and the C475IP then?
    > I thought they were based on the same ATA and firmware.

    Yes and for local numbers I just dial the number without any prefix

    Ian Pawson, Sep 23, 2008