Re: BT Home Hub

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lem, Sep 26, 2009.

  1. Lem

    Lem Guest

    Eric Shune wrote:
    > Anyone using BT's Home Hub.
    >
    > What is their range and how well do they work from inside a cupboard or
    > through dry walls. While I could put a shelf on a wall in the hall, I would
    > rather place it in a hall cupboard.
    >
    > Who is the manufacturer and are they reliable.

    I have no direct experience with any of the BT Home Hub models, but in
    general wireless-g routers (versions < 2) and wireless-n routers
    (version 2) should have no difficulty at all establishing a good
    connection from within an ordinary cupboard or through ordinary home dry
    wall construction (it all depends, of course, on how far away from the
    router your wifi client is located, what *else* is between client and
    router, and what sources of radio frequency interference might exist in
    the area).

    Note that wherever you locate the home hub, you will have to ensure:

    1. Mains power is available
    2. Incoming DSL connection is available
    3. If you want to connect any computers to the device by Ethernet, those
    cables will need access as well. In general, if you want to reconfigure
    the device, e.g., to change the default SSID (network name) or password,
    it's best to use a computer connected by Ethernet to avoid disconnection
    as soon as you make a change. You could, of course, bring a laptop to
    the cupboard temporarily for this purpose.
    4. Adequate ventilation

    You might be interested in the following article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: