Re: BT calls from outside the UK

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bob Eager, Jan 12, 2012.

  1. Bob Eager

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:32:15 +0700, Mark BR wrote:

    > Reading about smartphone rang a slight bell.
    >
    > Is it possible to make a call billed to my BT landline using VoIP?
    >
    > I'm outside the UK and want to make 2 calls a month on my line to save
    > the ?1.50 charge for not using my line.

    Can you explain thsi £1.50 charge? Are you referring to the charge fro BT
    Privacy if you don't make any calls? I don't know of any other charge.

    If it's just BT Privacy, two calls per month are all you need. Make them
    at weekends and they'll be free (part of the inclusive calls).

    And yes, inclusive calls count here. See:

    http://www.bt.com/pricing/current/Exch_Lines_boo/3410_d0e1.htm#3410-d0e1

    and look at the Eligibility and Conditions part.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Jan 12, 2012

  2. Bob Eager

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 12 Jan 2012 18:07:25 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:32:15 +0700, Mark BR wrote:
    >
    >> Reading about smartphone rang a slight bell.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to make a call billed to my BT landline using VoIP?
    >>
    >> I'm outside the UK and want to make 2 calls a month on my line to save
    >> the ?1.50 charge for not using my line.

    >Can you explain thsi £1.50 charge? Are you referring to the charge fro BT
    >Privacy if you don't make any calls? I don't know of any other charge.
    >
    >If it's just BT Privacy, two calls per month are all you need. Make them
    >at weekends and they'll be free (part of the inclusive calls).

    All this analysis, planning and effort just to save £1.50 a month? You
    have to wonder if it's really worth it. I think I'd just forget about
    it and do something more productive with my time to make up for the
    lost £1.50.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Jan 12, 2012

  3. Bob Eager

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 23:07:09 +0000, Chris Blunt wrote:

    > On 12 Jan 2012 18:07:25 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:32:15 +0700, Mark BR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reading about smartphone rang a slight bell.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to make a call billed to my BT landline using VoIP?
    >>>
    >>> I'm outside the UK and want to make 2 calls a month on my line to save
    >>> the ?1.50 charge for not using my line.

    >>Can you explain thsi £1.50 charge? Are you referring to the charge fro
    >>BT Privacy if you don't make any calls? I don't know of any other
    >>charge.
    >>
    >>If it's just BT Privacy, two calls per month are all you need. Make them
    >>at weekends and they'll be free (part of the inclusive calls).

    > All this analysis, planning and effort just to save £1.50 a month? You
    > have to wonder if it's really worth it. I think I'd just forget about it
    > and do something more productive with my time to make up for the lost
    > £1.50.

    It's not the money; it's the thought of giving it to BT.

    In any case, this took me ten minutes to set up once, and it's 'fit and
    forget'. That's a payment rate £9 an hour for the first quarter, and
    £36.00 an hour over the first year alone.

    Bob Eager, Jan 13, 2012
  4. Bob Eager

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:28:55 +0000, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > "Bob Eager" <> wrote in message

    >>> All this analysis, planning and effort just to save £1.50 a month? You
    >>> have to wonder if it's really worth it. I think I'd just forget about
    >>> it and do something more productive with my time to make up for the
    >>> lost £1.50.

    >> It's not the money; it's the thought of giving it to BT.
    >>
    >> In any case, this took me ten minutes to set up once, and it's 'fit and
    >> forget'. That's a payment rate £9 an hour for the first quarter, and
    >> £36.00 an hour over the first year alone.
    >>

    > and the cost of having the computer on 24/7 is?

    It's the Asterisk box and is on anyway. Costs about £30 p.a. which is
    easily saved with cheap/free calls.

    Bob Eager, Jan 13, 2012
  5. Bob Eager

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:59:59 +0700, Mark BR wrote:

    > "Bob Eager" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:32:15 +0700, Mark BR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reading about smartphone rang a slight bell.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to make a call billed to my BT landline using VoIP?
    >>>
    >>> I'm outside the UK and want to make 2 calls a month on my line to save
    >>> the ?1.50 charge for not using my line.

    >> Can you explain thsi ?1.50 charge? Are you referring to the charge fro
    >> BT Privacy if you don't make any calls? I don't know of any other
    >> charge.
    >>
    >> If it's just BT Privacy, two calls per month are all you need. Make
    >> them at weekends and they'll be free (part of the inclusive calls).
    >>

    > Both that charge of ?1.50 for BT privacy and the ?1.50 if you pay line
    > rental by 'line rental saver' - ie 12 months in advance for ?120 a year.
    >
    > So being able to make the two calls saves ?36 a year.
    >
    > Don't always mind paying for something I use but I do object to having
    > to pay because I do not use something - especially when the something is
    > free for me and, presumably, can actually cost BT for me to use.
    >
    > (PS I'm not in the UK so can not make the free calls)

    OK...then whether you get a friend to make them, or do something
    sneakier, make sure you make them at times when they are inclusive!

    Bob Eager, Jan 14, 2012