Re: BT calls from outside the UK

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gordon Henderson, Jan 11, 2012.

  1. In article <jehidj$bdf$>, Mark BR <> wrote:
    >Reading about smartphone rang a slight bell.
    >
    >Is it possible to make a call billed to my BT landline using VoIP?
    >
    >I'm outside the UK and want to make 2 calls a month on my line to save the
    >?1.50 charge for not using my line.

    Yes, it's possible using VoIP. Going to cost you about 50 quid in hardware
    assuming you already have a broadband connection - plus your time and
    a soft-phone application of some sorts on your laptop/pc while abroad
    (and access to Internet there too)

    A bit more kit (& of-course time to set it up) and you could run a PC
    24/7 running Linux & Asterisk and make it auto-dial a number every couple
    of days.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jan 11, 2012

  2. Gordon Henderson

    Soruk Guest

    On 2012-01-11, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > In article <jehidj$bdf$>, Mark BR <> wrote:
    >>Reading about smartphone rang a slight bell.
    >>
    >>Is it possible to make a call billed to my BT landline using VoIP?
    >>
    >>I'm outside the UK and want to make 2 calls a month on my line to save the
    >>?1.50 charge for not using my line.

    > Yes, it's possible using VoIP. Going to cost you about 50 quid in hardware
    > assuming you already have a broadband connection - plus your time and
    > a soft-phone application of some sorts on your laptop/pc while abroad
    > (and access to Internet there too)
    >
    > A bit more kit (& of-course time to set it up) and you could run a PC
    > 24/7 running Linux & Asterisk and make it auto-dial a number every couple

    Doesn't even need to be Asterisk, just a bog-standard box running Linux
    with a supported POTS modem, and use wvdial or a handrolled dial script to
    connect to an 0845 ISP, then disconnect again. Run it once per week.

    (It doesn't even need to successfully establish PPP, the other end just
    needs to answer. Even better would be a non-modem line that the modem can't
    figure out and auto-disconnects. Not many of them on a geographic number.
    I have an 0870 that plays bad music which you'd be welcome to use but the
    rest of the newsgroup would jump on me for spamming if I posted it.)

    Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/
    Soruk, Jan 11, 2012

  3. Soruk <> wrote:
    > (It doesn't even need to successfully establish PPP, the other end just
    > needs to answer. Even better would be a non-modem line that the modem can't
    > figure out and auto-disconnects. Not many of them on a geographic number.

    Simply phoning at 1am a 'sorry, we're closed' business line that doesn't
    take messages would probably do the trick... or a bank's automated service,
    or whatever. Presumably these calls need to be chargeable, so if it's a geo
    number you'd need to call outside your inclusive period.

    Whichever way you do it, you're going to be hit with the 'call setup fee'
    (13p ish) for each call.

    > I have an 0870 that plays bad music which you'd be welcome to use but the
    > rest of the newsgroup would jump on me for spamming if I posted it.)

    Ivor's speaking clock is 020 7043 1320 and would also do the trick...

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jan 12, 2012
  4. Gordon Henderson

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:53:30 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

    > Soruk <> wrote:
    >> (It doesn't even need to successfully establish PPP, the other end just
    >> needs to answer. Even better would be a non-modem line that the modem
    >> can't figure out and auto-disconnects. Not many of them on a geographic
    >> number.

    > Simply phoning at 1am a 'sorry, we're closed' business line that doesn't
    > take messages would probably do the trick... or a bank's automated
    > service, or whatever. Presumably these calls need to be chargeable, so
    > if it's a geo number you'd need to call outside your inclusive period.

    I just call one of my VoIP lines!

    > Whichever way you do it, you're going to be hit with the 'call setup
    > fee' (13p ish) for each call.

    Not really. Phone at the weekend; pretty well all residential plans will
    give you a free call, but it still counts against the calls total.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Jan 12, 2012
  5. Gordon Henderson

    Chris Davies Guest

    Bob Eager <> wrote:
    > Not really. Phone at the weekend; pretty well all residential plans will
    > give you a free call, but it still counts against the calls total.

    Really?
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jan 13, 2012
  6. Gordon Henderson

    S Viemeister Guest

    On 1/13/2012 9:56 AM, Chris Davies wrote:
    > Bob Eager<> wrote:
    >> Not really. Phone at the weekend; pretty well all residential plans will
    >> give you a free call, but it still counts against the calls total.

    > Really?

    Yes.
    S Viemeister, Jan 13, 2012