Re: BSOD caused by SpyWare

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2011-01-05, ~~Ashley~~ <> wrote:
    > My mom's Windows 7 (64bit) laptop was infected with 'fake antivirus'
    > spyware.
    > About the same time it started BSODing which I figured was related to the
    > infection.

    [...]

    Eliminate the possibility of overheating being the cause; first make sure
    the thing isn't being used while supported by soft furnishing, carpet,
    blanket, or anything else that could stop air from getting all round it.
    Be particularly careful not to block any airways. Then 'blow through'
    with canned air (sold for the purpose in electronics shops) - if possible
    open up any fan or heat-sink covers to make sure there are no fluff
    bunnies hiding away. Expect large volumes of dust to emerge! Then watch
    or listen for fans starting and stopping; if they don't start, or run
    slow, or you can't feel the draft, or they roar away at full blast and the
    draft feels like a hair-dryer even when the machine isn't doing anything,
    start the dust and fluff hunt again.

    If the fans are going full blast but the draft is cold, suspect a
    heat-sink has come loose from the CPU or graphics chip - that's a job for
    a computer repair shop (or the place the thing came from if it's still
    under guarantee or warranty).

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 7, 2011