Re: BSOD caused by SpyWare

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Jan 5, 2011.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:52:12 -0500, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:

    > My mom's Windows 7 (64bit) laptop was infected with 'fake antivirus'
    > spyware.
    > About the same time it started BSODing which I figured was related to the
    > infection.
    >
    > I removed the spyware with MalwareBytes and DrWebCureIt and it appears to be
    > completely removed, but she is still getting the BSOD.The BSOD started at
    > exactly the same time as the infection so I don't think it is a hardware
    > problem.
    >
    > The BSOD is:
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > Stop: 0x0000000A
    >
    > I did run a RAM test and it is OK.
    > No peripherals are plugged into the computer.
    > Nothing new was installed recently.
    >
    > I would have liked to do a system restore to a previous time but for some
    > reason (virus) system restore was disabled and she doesn't have any other
    > type of backups.
    >
    > Googeling the BSOD some articles say it can be caused by a corruption of the
    > HAL section of the registry and suggest running a registry repair program
    > (but don't give any names of what they used)
    >
    > Any suggestions, short of doing a complete reinstall.
    >
    > Thank you guys.

    Just an idea. You could try running the recovery disk and see if it has a
    "repair" function with it.
    Others may want to know at what point of the boot process do you get the
    BSOD?
    Can you get into safe mode?
    And try here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    richard, Jan 5, 2011

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:49:48 -0500, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:52:12 -0500, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> My mom's Windows 7 (64bit) laptop was infected with 'fake antivirus'
    >>> spyware.
    >>> About the same time it started BSODing which I figured was related to the
    >>> infection.
    >>>
    >>> I removed the spyware with MalwareBytes and DrWebCureIt and it appears to
    >>> be
    >>> completely removed, but she is still getting the BSOD.The BSOD started at
    >>> exactly the same time as the infection so I don't think it is a hardware
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> The BSOD is:
    >>> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >>> Stop: 0x0000000A
    >>>
    >>> I did run a RAM test and it is OK.
    >>> No peripherals are plugged into the computer.
    >>> Nothing new was installed recently.
    >>>
    >>> I would have liked to do a system restore to a previous time but for some
    >>> reason (virus) system restore was disabled and she doesn't have any other
    >>> type of backups.
    >>>
    >>> Googeling the BSOD some articles say it can be caused by a corruption of
    >>> the
    >>> HAL section of the registry and suggest running a registry repair program
    >>> (but don't give any names of what they used)
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions, short of doing a complete reinstall.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you guys.

    >> Just an idea. You could try running the recovery disk and see if it has a
    >> "repair" function with it.
    >> Others may want to know at what point of the boot process do you get the
    >> BSOD?
    >> Can you get into safe mode?
    >> And try here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    > I should have mentioned that I get it in both normal mode and safe mode.
    > Usually the system will boot up normally and run for 2-5 min and then BSOD.
    > Sometimes it happens right after the boot logo disappears (safe & normal
    > mode).
    >
    > Everything is disabled in Startup in msconfig and all non MS services are
    > disabled.
    >
    > I did delete from Device Manager video, sound and network components and
    > then redetect and install them.

    if you can get into the task manager, try deleting any processes that were
    recently added. As a last resort, delete them all then reboot. The ones
    that are necessary should come back.

    richard, Jan 5, 2011

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:49:48 -0500, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:52:12 -0500, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> My mom's Windows 7 (64bit) laptop was infected with 'fake antivirus'
    >>> spyware.
    >>> About the same time it started BSODing which I figured was related to the
    >>> infection.
    >>>
    >>> I removed the spyware with MalwareBytes and DrWebCureIt and it appears to
    >>> be
    >>> completely removed, but she is still getting the BSOD.The BSOD started at
    >>> exactly the same time as the infection so I don't think it is a hardware
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> The BSOD is:
    >>> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >>> Stop: 0x0000000A
    >>>
    >>> I did run a RAM test and it is OK.
    >>> No peripherals are plugged into the computer.
    >>> Nothing new was installed recently.
    >>>
    >>> I would have liked to do a system restore to a previous time but for some
    >>> reason (virus) system restore was disabled and she doesn't have any other
    >>> type of backups.
    >>>
    >>> Googeling the BSOD some articles say it can be caused by a corruption of
    >>> the
    >>> HAL section of the registry and suggest running a registry repair program
    >>> (but don't give any names of what they used)
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions, short of doing a complete reinstall.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you guys.

    >> Just an idea. You could try running the recovery disk and see if it has a
    >> "repair" function with it.
    >> Others may want to know at what point of the boot process do you get the
    >> BSOD?
    >> Can you get into safe mode?
    >> And try here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    > I should have mentioned that I get it in both normal mode and safe mode.
    > Usually the system will boot up normally and run for 2-5 min and then BSOD.
    > Sometimes it happens right after the boot logo disappears (safe & normal
    > mode).
    >
    > Everything is disabled in Startup in msconfig and all non MS services are
    > disabled.
    >
    > I did delete from Device Manager video, sound and network components and
    > then redetect and install them.

    http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

    Read this. Might be as simple as a bad fan.
    This techie suggests that hardware may be the problem, not a virus.

    richard, Jan 5, 2011
  4. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/01/2011 03:49, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:
    > "richard"<> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:52:12 -0500, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> My mom's Windows 7 (64bit) laptop was infected with 'fake antivirus'
    >>> spyware.
    >>> About the same time it started BSODing which I figured was related to the
    >>> infection.
    >>>
    >>> I removed the spyware with MalwareBytes and DrWebCureIt and it appears to
    >>> be
    >>> completely removed, but she is still getting the BSOD.The BSOD started at
    >>> exactly the same time as the infection so I don't think it is a hardware
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> The BSOD is:
    >>> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >>> Stop: 0x0000000A
    >>>
    >>> I did run a RAM test and it is OK.
    >>> No peripherals are plugged into the computer.
    >>> Nothing new was installed recently.
    >>>
    >>> I would have liked to do a system restore to a previous time but for some
    >>> reason (virus) system restore was disabled and she doesn't have any other
    >>> type of backups.
    >>>
    >>> Googeling the BSOD some articles say it can be caused by a corruption of
    >>> the
    >>> HAL section of the registry and suggest running a registry repair program
    >>> (but don't give any names of what they used)
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions, short of doing a complete reinstall.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you guys.

    >> Just an idea. You could try running the recovery disk and see if it has a
    >> "repair" function with it.
    >> Others may want to know at what point of the boot process do you get the
    >> BSOD?
    >> Can you get into safe mode?
    >> And try here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    > I should have mentioned that I get it in both normal mode and safe mode.
    > Usually the system will boot up normally and run for 2-5 min and then BSOD.
    > Sometimes it happens right after the boot logo disappears (safe& normal
    > mode).
    >
    > Everything is disabled in Startup in msconfig and all non MS services are
    > disabled.
    >
    > I did delete from Device Manager video, sound and network components and
    > then redetect and install them.

    Do not follow the advice of richard. He a clueless idiot who knows
    nothing about computer support. Following his advice might well leave
    you with a more broken computer.

    Do not use a recovery disk as very often these will wipe everything and
    return your machine to the condition it left the factory (Minus all your
    programs and data)

    Peter Foldes's advice is sound. Last resort try a Windows Repair install.

    Desk Rabbit, Jan 5, 2011
  5. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote:

    >Do not follow the advice of richard. He a clueless idiot who knows
    >nothing about computer support. Following his advice might well leave
    >you with a more broken computer.

    Normally I'd agree, but his link is quite relevant. The OP say's
    she gets 4-5 mins. of runtime before the BSOD. Sounds like a
    heating issue, that could easily start jumbling IRQ's out of
    order.

    I'd bet she needs 3 cans of compressed air to blow the inside.

    G. Morgan, Jan 5, 2011
  6. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/01/2011 14:03, G. Morgan wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit<> wrote:
    >
    >> Do not follow the advice of richard. He a clueless idiot who knows
    >> nothing about computer support. Following his advice might well leave
    >> you with a more broken computer.

    > Normally I'd agree, but his link is quite relevant. The OP say's
    > she gets 4-5 mins. of runtime before the BSOD. Sounds like a
    > heating issue, that could easily start jumbling IRQ's out of
    > order.
    >
    > I'd bet she needs 3 cans of compressed air to blow the inside.

    Richards 'advice' was to first try a recovery disk, then try a disk
    which really needs more than small amount of technical knowhow to make
    any serious use of, quickly followed by suggesting that the user
    'remove' various processes by deleting them in Task Manager! All advice
    pretty much guaranteed to not be any help and probably make the
    situation worse.

    Desk Rabbit, Jan 6, 2011
  7. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote:

    >Richards 'advice' was to first try a recovery disk, then try a disk
    >which really needs more than small amount of technical knowhow to make
    >any serious use of, quickly followed by suggesting that the user
    >'remove' various processes by deleting them in Task Manager! All advice
    >pretty much guaranteed to not be any help and probably make the
    >situation worse.

    I see now, I saw his 2nd post, 1st.

    G. Morgan, Jan 6, 2011