Re: BSOD caused by SpyWare

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dan C, Jan 5, 2011.

  1. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 21:52:12 -0500, ~~Ashley~~ wrote:

    > My mom's Windows 7 (64bit) laptop was infected with 'fake antivirus'
    > spyware.

    Hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

    > About the same time it started BSODing which I figured was related to
    > the infection.

    Ya think?

    > I removed the spyware with MalwareBytes and DrWebCureIt and it appears
    > to be completely removed, but she is still getting the BSOD.The BSOD
    > started at exactly the same time as the infection so I don't think it is
    > a hardware problem.

    Good thinking.

    > The BSOD is:
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > Stop: 0x0000000A
    >
    > I did run a RAM test and it is OK.

    Why wouldn't it be?

    > No peripherals are plugged into the computer. Nothing new was installed
    > recently.

    Well that's good.

    > I would have liked to do a system restore to a previous time but for
    > some reason (virus) system restore was disabled and she doesn't have any
    > other type of backups.

    For "some reason"? Why?

    > Googeling the BSOD some articles say it can be caused by a corruption of
    > the HAL section of the registry and suggest running a registry repair
    > program (but don't give any names of what they used)
    >
    > Any suggestions, short of doing a complete reinstall.

    I'd uninstall/reinstall the video driver.

    If that doesn't work, format the HD and start over.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he reinstalled TLX 3.1.

    Dan C, Jan 5, 2011