Re: BS7799 info needed

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by C Colon, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. C Colon

    C Colon Guest

    Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
    > standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
    > knowledgeable ;-) Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
    > know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
    >
    > thanks in advance

    The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
    could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
    but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
    registered users of SANS, i forget...

    Regards
    C:\>
    ------------------------------------
    Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
    only
    C Colon, Apr 1, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. C Colon

    Dave Guest

    On 1 Apr 2004 00:01:36 -0800, (C Colon) wrote:

    >Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
    >> standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
    >> knowledgeable ;-) Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
    >> know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
    >>
    >> thanks in advance

    >The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
    >could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
    >but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
    >registered users of SANS, i forget...
    >
    >Regards
    >C:\>
    >------------------------------------
    >Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
    >only


    Thanks very much, I found some really useful stuff there!

    D.
    Dave, Apr 1, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. C Colon

    Ford Prefect Guest

    C Colon wrote:
    > Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
    >>standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
    >>knowledgeable ;-) Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
    >>know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
    >>
    >>thanks in advance

    >
    > The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
    > could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
    > but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
    > registered users of SANS, i forget...
    >
    > Regards
    > C:\>
    > ------------------------------------
    > Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
    > only


    why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    levels by providing such information?
    Ford Prefect, Apr 1, 2004
    #3
  4. C Colon

    Voyager Guest

    On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 +0000, Ford Prefect wrote:

    > why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    > levels by providing such information?


    Well, if they study, then they aren't mis-representing their knowledge
    level -- they are expanding their knowledge level.

    No?

    --
    Voyager
    Webmaster: http://www.hackfaq.org
    Voyager, Apr 2, 2004
    #4
  5. C Colon

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 GMT, Ford Prefect
    <> wrote:

    >C Colon wrote:
    >> Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>
    >>>I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
    >>>standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
    >>>knowledgeable ;-) Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
    >>>know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
    >>>
    >>>thanks in advance

    >>
    >> The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
    >> could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
    >> but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
    >> registered users of SANS, i forget...
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> C:\>
    >> ------------------------------------
    >> Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
    >> only

    >
    >why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    >levels by providing such information?



    Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
    was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
    motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
    learn it if not for professional advancement..
    Dave, Apr 3, 2004
    #5
  6. C Colon

    Ford Prefect Guest

    Voyager wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 +0000, Ford Prefect wrote:
    >
    >
    >>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    >>levels by providing such information?

    >
    >
    > Well, if they study, then they aren't mis-representing their knowledge
    > level -- they are expanding their knowledge level.
    >
    > No?


    BS7799 isn't something you learn or understand overnight merely by
    reading a copy of the standard.

    This person has obviously never dealt with the standards and
    overstated their qualifications. They are now scrambling to know the
    right "buzz words" so they can bullshit their way through an interview
    the should never have been granted in the first place...

    >
    Ford Prefect, Apr 5, 2004
    #6
  7. C Colon

    Ford Prefect Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 GMT, Ford Prefect
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>C Colon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
    >>>>standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
    >>>>knowledgeable ;-) Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
    >>>>know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
    >>>>
    >>>>thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>>The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
    >>>could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
    >>>but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
    >>>registered users of SANS, i forget...
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>C:\>
    >>>------------------------------------
    >>>Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
    >>>only

    >>
    >>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    >>levels by providing such information?

    >
    >
    >
    > Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
    > was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
    > motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
    > learn it if not for professional advancement..
    >


    Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    liar he is.
    Ford Prefect, Apr 5, 2004
    #7
  8. C Colon

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 04:02:02 GMT, Ford Prefect
    <> wrote:

    >> Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
    >> was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
    >> motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
    >> learn it if not for professional advancement..
    >>

    >
    >Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    >interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    >something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    >liar he is.


    Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
    as its only 82 quid not $995
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 5, 2004
    #8
  9. C Colon

    Dave Guest

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:46:09 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 04:02:02 GMT, Ford Prefect
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>> Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
    >>> was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
    >>> motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
    >>> learn it if not for professional advancement..
    >>>

    >>
    >>Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    >>interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    >>something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    >>liar he is.

    >
    >Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
    >as its only 82 quid not $995


    As stated in your very clever and witty reply to the original question
    several days ago. You've made your point Jimbo, now go back to sleep.
    Dave, Apr 5, 2004
    #9
  10. C Colon

    mike Guest

    Ford Prefect <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dave wrote:
    > > On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 GMT, Ford Prefect
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>C Colon wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
    > >>>>standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
    > >>>>knowledgeable ;-) Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
    > >>>>know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
    > >>>>
    > >>>>thanks in advance
    > >>>
    > >>>The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
    > >>>could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
    > >>>but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
    > >>>registered users of SANS, i forget...
    > >>>
    > >>>Regards
    > >>>C:\>
    > >>>------------------------------------
    > >>>Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
    > >>>only
    > >>
    > >>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    > >>levels by providing such information?

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
    > > was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
    > > motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
    > > learn it if not for professional advancement..
    > >

    >
    > Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    > interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    > something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    > liar he is.



    He says nothing of the sort, he says he has an interview and wants to
    learn something about it. Sounds like good preparation to me. And
    anyway it's not for you to judge is it, if he wants to learn it who
    are you to accuse him of lying?
    mike, Apr 5, 2004
    #10
  11. C Colon

    Ford Prefect Guest

    mike wrote:
    > Ford Prefect <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 GMT, Ford Prefect
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>C Colon wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Dave <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
    >>>>>>standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
    >>>>>>knowledgeable ;-) Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
    >>>>>>know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>thanks in advance
    >>>>>
    >>>>>The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
    >>>>>could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
    >>>>>but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
    >>>>>registered users of SANS, i forget...
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Regards
    >>>>>C:\>
    >>>>>------------------------------------
    >>>>>Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
    >>>>>only
    >>>>
    >>>>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    >>>>levels by providing such information?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
    >>>was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
    >>>motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
    >>>learn it if not for professional advancement..
    >>>

    >>
    >>Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    >>interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    >>something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    >>liar he is.

    >
    > He says nothing of the sort, he says he has an interview and wants to
    > learn something about it. Sounds like good preparation to me. And
    > anyway it's not for you to judge is it, if he wants to learn it who
    > are you to accuse him of lying?


    Your comments are truly naive and guilable. It is quite obvious you
    lack the barest of reading comprehension skills. Read the post... not
    just the words... read what he is saying....

    And, yes, I do think he is lying... I have run into fools like him
    all to often when conducting interviews... they exaggerate their
    skills on tha ppication and then scramble to "learn" something before
    the interview... it is very obvious when this happens, and his
    appraoch is classic...

    As for the right to judge... he asked the question to a open forum...
    if you need that explained any further, you are as stupid as he is...
    Ford Prefect, Apr 5, 2004
    #11
  12. C Colon

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:23:39 +0100, Dave <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:46:09 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 04:02:02 GMT, Ford Prefect
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
    >>>> was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
    >>>> motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
    >>>> learn it if not for professional advancement..
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    >>>interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    >>>something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    >>>liar he is.

    >>
    >>Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
    >>as its only 82 quid not $995

    >
    >As stated in your very clever and witty reply to the original question
    >several days ago. You've made your point Jimbo, now go back to sleep.


    Think nothing of it, which in your case should come naturally.


    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 6, 2004
    #12
  13. C Colon

    C Colon Guest

    F >>>>
    > >>>>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
    > >>>>levels by providing such information?


    So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, and if that does not suffice, 42.

    Regards
    C Colon, Apr 7, 2004
    #13
  14. C Colon

    Pete Guest


    > >
    > >Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    > >interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    > >something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    > >liar he is.

    >
    > Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
    > as its only 82 quid not $995
    >

    The toolkit (whatever that is...) is $995
    http://www.thewindow.to/bs7799/toolkit.htm
    Pete, Apr 15, 2004
    #14
  15. C Colon

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:01:48 +0100, Pete <>
    wrote:

    >
    >> >
    >> >Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    >> >interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    >> >something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    >> >liar he is.

    >>
    >> Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
    >> as its only 82 quid not $995
    >>

    >The toolkit (whatever that is...) is $995
    >http://www.thewindow.to/bs7799/toolkit.htm


    Yeah but thats not from BSI

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 15, 2004
    #15
  16. I wonder if he'll tell us if he got the job? The fact that he can't
    tell the difference between the toolkit and the standard surely says
    all we need to know about his suitability for any related post.

    > > >
    > > >Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
    > > >interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
    > > >something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
    > > >liar he is.

    > >
    > > Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
    > > as its only 82 quid not $995
    > >

    > The toolkit (whatever that is...) is $995
    > http://www.thewindow.to/bs7799/toolkit.htm
    James Vaughan, May 2, 2004
    #16
  17. C Colon

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 2 May 2004 07:20:32 -0700, (James Vaughan) wrote:

    >I wonder if he'll tell us if he got the job? The fact that he can't
    >tell the difference between the toolkit and the standard surely says
    >all we need to know about his suitability for any related post.


    or use Google :)

    However, wonder whats in the standard, perhaps its something
    I should find out about

    One of my friends has the BS standard for making tea in his
    kitchen wall, I believe it runs to seven pages.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, May 2, 2004
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. PeterPan

    Wanted Info on UK-Info, & WebDesign

    PeterPan, Nov 27, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    726
  2. Mark L Kirkby

    ISO 17799 / BS7799 Security News: Issue 10 Released

    Mark L Kirkby, May 8, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    548
  3. Rach

    BS7799

    Rach, Jul 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    659
    JayneB
    Nov 17, 2007
  4. Damian Burrin

    ISO BS7799 code

    Damian Burrin, Mar 25, 2005, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    615
    CERTIFIED AUDITOR BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
    Apr 6, 2005
  5. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    570
Loading...

Share This Page