Re: Browser Fish Test..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ralph Fox, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:01:10 +1200, in message <>
    Suzie Wong wrote:

    > Dose an one know where this is. ? or is this a Application that is run
    > on your PC.
    >
    > Seen references on people using it and many Web posts about it,
    > Benchmarks, but I cant find it at all.

    Hello, Roger Sheppard

    No references, no URLs, pig-in-a-poke.

    They may be talking about a browser phish test.

    Read about browser phish testing and results here
    http://www.mckeay.net/2009/08/16/firefox-and-ie8-tied-safari-4-loses-big/
    (To be open about it, Microsoft sponsored the tests by NSS Labs in this report.)

    Or test your browser yourself:
    This web page is a phish test page: http://tinyurl.com/y8yvgn

    If you see this below, then your browser failed the phish test.

    | Boo! I’m a naughty web page trying to steal your identity!
    |
    | OK, not really, but web forgeries (also known as phishing pages) are
    | out there on the Internet

    If your browser displays a warning instead of opening the
    web page, then your browser passed the phish test.

    Firefox

    | Reported Web Forgery!
    | This web page at *************** has been reported as a web forgery
    | and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

    IE

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jun 28, 2010

  2. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:41:49 +1200, in message <>
    Suzie Wong wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:11:01 +1200, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:01:10 +1200, in message <>
    > >Suzie Wong wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dose an one know where this is. ? or is this a Application that is run
    > >> on your PC.
    > >>
    > >> Seen references on people using it and many Web posts about it,
    > >> Benchmarks, but I cant find it at all.

    > This is the test I was on about.
    > http://www.cybergsm.com/html5-speed...ead-the-pack-in-windows-chrome-a-distant-last
    > http://www.neowin.net/news/html5-speed-test-firefox-37-narrowly-beats-ie9-chrome-6-is-dead-last

    Hello, Roger Sheppard

    The browser 'fishie tank' test page is here: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/FishIE tank/Default.html

    NOTE: The test is designed for IE9 preview and Firefox 3.7 preview.

    IE8 - the test does not work for me in IE8.
    Firefox 3.6 - the test works for me in Firefox 3.6, but not as fast as in Firefox 3.7 preview.

    Hint: Before using Firefox 3.7 preview, following these instructions to
    make sure hardware acceleration is turned on:
    http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php/2010/03/02/presenting-direct2d-hardware-acceleratio

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jun 29, 2010

  3. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:38:46 +1200, in message <>
    Suzie Wong wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 00:10:02 +1200, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > > The browser 'fishie tank' test page is here: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/FishIE tank/Default.html
    > >
    > > NOTE: The test is designed for IE9 preview and Firefox 3.7 preview.
    > >
    > > IE8 - the test does not work for me in IE8.
    > > Firefox 3.6 - the test works for me in Firefox 3.6, but not as fast as in Firefox 3.7 preview.
    > >
    > > Hint: Before using Firefox 3.7 preview, following these instructions to
    > > make sure hardware acceleration is turned on:
    > > http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php/2010/03/02/presenting-direct2d-hardware-acceleratio

    > Hi I am getting around 22fps when using the latest build of Firefox 3.7
    > with hardware acceleration is turned on and around 22fps with Opera
    > 10.6 RC2, it seems that it has hardware acceleration by default.?

    Hello, Roger Sheppard

    How many fish did you have, when you got around 22fps ?

    The 'fishie tank' test page starts out with 20 fish.
    You change the number of fish by clicking on one of
    the numbers in the panel to the right.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jun 30, 2010
  4. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:08:56 +1200, in message <>
    Suzie Wong wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:58:25 +1200, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:38:46 +1200, in message <>
    > >Suzie Wong wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi I am getting around 22fps when using the latest build of Firefox 3.7
    > >> with hardware acceleration is turned on and around 22fps with Opera
    > >> 10.6 RC2, it seems that it has hardware acceleration by default.?

    > >Hello, Roger Sheppard
    > >
    > >How many fish did you have, when you got around 22fps ?
    > >
    > >The 'fishie tank' test page starts out with 20 fish.
    > >You change the number of fish by clicking on one of
    > >the numbers in the panel to the right.

    > Yes 20 But it depends on the size of the Window you are using, found
    > that out later and may be your CPU/GPU.

    The real test of the browser is animating hundreds of fish, all at the same time.
    With only 20 fish you could get around 22fps in any browser. That is no big deal.

    Did you view the test demonstration on YouTube ?

    • Chrome runs out of steam with only a hundred fish.
    • Opera runs out of steam by a thousand fish.
    • Firefox and IE keep steaming along with a thousand fish.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZUdZdFzOo&feature=player_embedded

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jul 1, 2010
  5. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:34:40 +1200, in message <>
    Allistar wrote:

    > I get 36fps with no hardware acceleration on Firefox 3.6. This is running
    > Gentoo Linux with KDE 3.5.10.

    I assume you had 20 fish (the default).

    > It's a bit jerky though, I'll try again when
    > hardware acceleration is available for Linux.

    Can you crank it up to 1000 fish and still have it animate smoothly ?

    The default of 20 fish is not much of a test. Try at least a hundred
    before you think about polishing your medals.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jul 1, 2010
  6. Ralph Fox

    victor Guest

    On 1/07/2010 11:58 p.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:08:56 +1200, in message<>
    > Suzie Wong wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:58:25 +1200, Ralph Fox<> wrote:

    >>> Hello, Roger Sheppard
    >>>
    >>> How many fish did you have, when you got around 22fps ?
    >>>
    >>> The 'fishie tank' test page starts out with 20 fish.
    >>> You change the number of fish by clicking on one of
    >>> the numbers in the panel to the right.

    >> Yes 20 But it depends on the size of the Window you are using, found
    >> that out later and may be your CPU/GPU.

    > The real test of the browser is animating hundreds of fish, all at the same time.
    > With only 20 fish you could get around 22fps in any browser. That is no big deal.
    >
    > Did you view the test demonstration on YouTube ?
    >
    > • Chrome runs out of steam with only a hundred fish.
    > • Opera runs out of steam by a thousand fish.
    > • Firefox and IE keep steaming along with a thousand fish.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZUdZdFzOo&feature=player_embedded

    Perhaps I'll use Chrome for everything but animated fish pissing
    contests then.
    victor, Jul 1, 2010