Re: Broad Band Phone Service

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by repairs, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. repairs

    repairs Guest

    Please excuse the top posting, but I felt it clearer and have added
    clarifications to my original posting below:

    >Hello
    >Well, I am thinking of utilizing broadband phone service either as a
    >supplement or in place of at least a portion of my phone service.
    >Currently I have two phone lines that I have unlimited everything from
    >Verizon and the aggregate cost is about $100 per month. I need to keep
    >one of the lines--at least for local service--otherwise the umbilical
    >cord for DSL would be cut meaning back to Cable and that is a no-no
    >for me.

    I may want to utilize broadband phone for either/both local/long
    distance on one or both phone lines or at least a portion thereof. By
    this I mean, depending on the services offered, I may want to use long
    distance on both but only local on one--or some combination.

    Cable in my area is just plain not so good and, while advertising(and
    usually delivering)faster service, they act like the typical
    monopoly--expensive, non responsive('problems--we will put you on the
    schedule for a site visit as soon as possible' and the like),
    demanding and overall not much fun to deal with. Plus, they are not
    used to competition and find that customer satisfaction needs to be
    earned! Sometimes Verizon can be that way too--'you must be our
    customer or we will not allow DSL connectivity through our central
    office'. However, they do allow third parties to resell and utilize
    the circuit. Cable in other areas is also opening up. Mine is a rather
    small company that can charge what they please as other companies will
    not step on their territory.

    >There seem to be a lot of broadband companies out there--I cannot use
    >my DSL carrier at this time as it is not offered as of this time--and
    >I am looking for good and bad experiences.

    ........My DSL carrier utilizes the local Verizon access and, for this,
    Verizon demands I be their customer, which minimally means I have
    their local service on the line that they utilize for DSL. Long
    Distance service can be from whomever I choose as can be the other
    phone line. As mentioned, I use Verizon for everything at this point.

    >Any help/insight would be appreciated.

    To reiterate, I do have DSL and do not like cable modem service, which
    I had for about 7 or 8 years.
    I would like to find the experience of others in the broadband phone
    area.

    >I run my business out of my home in case this adds to the discussion.
    >Thanks In Advance.
    >Joe

    Again, I appreciate the time and hope I have clarified my original
    post a bit.

    Joe

    repairs, Sep 29, 2005

  2. repairs

    Mitch Guest

    In article <1128024049.a625614b9c8b7e4dec98a214867c4e11@teranews>,
    repairs <> wrote:

    > >Well, I am thinking of utilizing broadband phone service either as a
    > >supplement or in place of at least a portion of my phone service.
    > >Currently I have two phone lines that I have unlimited everything from
    > >Verizon and the aggregate cost is about $100 per month. I need to keep
    > >one of the lines--at least for local service--otherwise the umbilical
    > >cord for DSL would be cut meaning back to Cable and that is a no-no
    > >for me.
    > >

    > I may want to utilize broadband phone for either/both local/long
    > distance on one or both phone lines or at least a portion thereof. By
    > this I mean, depending on the services offered, I may want to use long
    > distance on both but only local on one--or some combination.
    >
    > Cable in my area is just plain not so good and, while advertising(and
    > usually delivering)faster service, they act like the typical
    > monopoly--expensive, non responsive('problems--we will put you on the
    > schedule for a site visit as soon as possible' and the like),
    > demanding and overall not much fun to deal with. Plus, they are not
    > used to competition and find that customer satisfaction needs to be
    > earned! Sometimes Verizon can be that way too--'you must be our
    > customer or we will not allow DSL connectivity through our central
    > office'. However, they do allow third parties to resell and utilize
    > the circuit. Cable in other areas is also opening up. Mine is a rather
    > small company that can charge what they please as other companies will
    > not step on their territory.
    >
    > >There seem to be a lot of broadband companies out there--I cannot use
    > >my DSL carrier at this time as it is not offered as of this time--and
    > >I am looking for good and bad experiences.
    > >

    > .......My DSL carrier utilizes the local Verizon access and, for this,
    > Verizon demands I be their customer, which minimally means I have
    > their local service on the line that they utilize for DSL. Long
    > Distance service can be from whomever I choose as can be the other
    > phone line. As mentioned, I use Verizon for everything at this point.
    >
    > >Any help/insight would be appreciated.
    > >

    > To reiterate, I do have DSL and do not like cable modem service, which
    > I had for about 7 or 8 years.
    > I would like to find the experience of others in the broadband phone
    > area.

    Summarizing, then:
    You want broadband phone service.
    You have DSL, and are using that and telephone service, which works but
    you don't like the price.
    You don't like your cable options.
    Your carrier doesn't offer DSL service at this time.
    Your DSL services are through Verizon and you are a Verizon customer.

    I don't get it, but I see several possibilities:
    You don't know that DSL is a broadband service.
    You are actually asking for recommendations for VoIP -- telephone
    service over the internet.
    You might be thinking that if you use VoIP you won't have to pay for
    your DSL.
    You want to find some way to make Verizon charge you less for the
    service you are using now, without changing anything.

    Are any of these close?

    Mitch, Oct 1, 2005