Re: British Telecom internet connection drops randomly

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by unwashed, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. unwashed

    unwashed Guest

    "483928367483" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have BT 2Mb broadband. I use a D-Link 640 modem/router/wireless AP.
    >
    > Between once aday and once every 3 days, the modem ADSL light stops
    > flickering and stays on. I also lose access to the internet although the
    > control software says I'm still connected.
    >
    > Resetting or unplugging the modem power causes it to reboot and then all
    > is
    > well. Does anyone else know what's afoot here. There isn't a firmware
    > upgrade for this device. Is itmy end, or might BT be to blame?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    Could be a driver issue, or a conflict............
    Has this problem always been apparent whilst with the 2mb connection?
    Or was it was functioning OK, and then the problem developed?
    Assuming you are an upgrade on the 512 connection, - which BT does
    automatically with existing subscribers unless otherwise instructed.......
    Then If so, and with the original 512 speed with that modem when upgraded-
    if the problem then occured, the issue will most definately be that a
    driver-
    update is required...............
    Go into device manager: To do so.........
    RIGHT click "My Computer"
    In menu, select "Properties"
    In the dialog pane that appears, select "Device Manager" tab
    This will list the hardware installed on your PC.
    Locate your modem, it may be marked with either a Questionmark (?)
    or an Exclaimation-mark (!), (or maybe niether?)
    Once you have identified your modem, Click on it ONCE so as to "hi-light"
    then click the "Properties" button.
    The dialog that appears should (hopefully) detail the exact specification
    of your modem - NOTE THESE DETAILS EXACTLY.
    Close all windows.
    Online, goto: www.driverhq.com
    This is an excellent site for drivers for all types of devices.
    You will have to register with a valid functioning email address -
    But it is FREE.
    Once Registered with www.driverhq.com
    Navigate the site (it is easy) and locate modem drivers.
    Locate the OEM of your modem from the list.
    Navigate and Locate the very specific modem model.
    Download and save to pre-defined folder the required
    drivers for your specific modem and windoze operating system.
    Disconnect, Reboot, - Upon reboot - close any running apps etc.
    Access Device manager as detailed above.
    Locate and "hi-light" your modem as detailed above.
    In the "Properties" dialog for your modem, -
    click on "Update Drivers"
    Navigate the ensuing dialog to folder where you saved drivers.
    Install and Update drivers.
    Close all windows on completion, and REBOOT.
    (REBOOTING is important)
    Once rebooted, reconnect to the trashy internet -
    Your 2mb BT connection should now be functioning flawlessly-
    If so, and you are ever in London, you now owe me 2 pints of
    Stella, and a glass or two of Califonian Merlot (I don't drink
    awful cowardly froggy French red wine, so don't insult me
    by ever offering me a glass of over-priced/over-rated French
    vino)
    If this fails, - But it WON'T, trust me - or you have further problems,
    post back here - and I'll guide you further, I am delighted to help
    a fellow BT'er.

    PS.
    Also, Have you too noted that KM (Eric) is very low-key these days
    with his posts? I think he is not only a very troubled young man,
    but also now he is a very worried (ex?) poster too!

    PPS.
    Important note: If on your upgrade from 512 to 2mb with BT,
    If the upgraded Hi-speed connection initially functioned fine with
    that upgrade - then do NOT perform the above detailed driver upgrade.
    It would only be driver issue if the problem occurred with the comencement
    of the speed upgrade, if so................
    Post back here with exact details of when/how problem occurred.
    Also, include version of Windoze, and any error messages.
    unwashed, Jun 27, 2005

  2. unwashed

    483928367483 Guest

    Thanks for this suggestion. I'll try it.

    Mike

    483928367483, Jun 28, 2005