Re: Brit DSLR ban lunacy gets even funnier

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mort, Dec 11, 2011.

  1. Mort

    Mort Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    >
    > http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_officia
    > ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

    Hi,

    The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a photo
    of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality sensors
    and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused station now
    viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital cameras are OK.
    There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it certainly is not
    obvious.

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Dec 11, 2011

  2. Mort

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 12/12/2011 00:00, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-12-11 14:38:26 -0800, Mort <> said:
    >
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_officia
    >>> ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

    That is clearly a post hoc justification of an untenable position.

    >> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
    >> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
    >> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
    >> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
    >> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
    >> certainly is not obvious.

    Ironic that some pocketable cameras now have sensor sizes to rival
    DSLRs. The main thing missing are fast wide angle lenses.

    > The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

    I suspect that is the case. They probably should ban tripods though in a
    confined space with a 160 step spiral staircase.

    "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
    and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs. They give you a certificate
    to say you have climbed it afterwards. Hooke once had a telescope
    running down the middle of it (but traffic vibrations made it useless).

    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623284

    The problem for organisers in the UK is that we are now bristling with
    ambulance chasing lawyers and professional trippers and slippers who
    attend these sorts of open days with a view to insurance fraud.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Dec 12, 2011

  3. On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:47:04 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

    > "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
    > and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs.

    Neither the bell tower in Brugge (366 steps) nor the Torrazzo of Cremona
    (487 steps) had any issue with DSLRs either, from memory. Don't think
    that I would have wanted to try carrying a tripod up either though, and
    didn't. (The spirals get pretty steep and narrow towards the top!)

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew
    Andrew Reilly, Dec 12, 2011
  4. Mort

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 11, 5:38 pm, Mort <> wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.

    > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    > > ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

    > Hi,
    >
    > The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a photo
    > of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality sensors
    > and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused station now
    > viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital cameras are OK.
    > There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it certainly is not
    > obvious.
    >
    > Mort Linder

    Maybe they sell photos of the place and don't want the competition?
    RichA, Dec 12, 2011
  5. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/12/2011 4:47 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
    > On 12/12/2011 00:00, Savageduck wrote:

    > That is clearly a post hoc justification of an untenable position.
    >>>
    >>> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
    >>> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
    >>> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
    >>> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
    >>> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
    >>> certainly is not obvious.

    > Ironic that some pocketable cameras now have sensor sizes to rival
    > DSLRs. The main thing missing are fast wide angle lenses.
    >>
    >> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

    > I suspect that is the case. They probably should ban tripods though in a
    > confined space with a 160 step spiral staircase.
    >
    > "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
    > and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs. They give you a certificate
    > to say you have climbed it afterwards. Hooke once had a telescope
    > running down the middle of it (but traffic vibrations made it useless).
    >
    > http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623284
    >
    > The problem for organisers in the UK is that we are now bristling with
    > ambulance chasing lawyers and professional trippers and slippers who
    > attend these sorts of open days with a view to insurance fraud.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    that problem is almost universal.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 12, 2011
  6. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/11/2011 7:00 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-12-11 14:38:26 -0800, Mort <> said:
    >
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_officia
    >>>
    >>> ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
    >>>

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
    >> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
    >> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
    >> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
    >> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
    >> certainly is not obvious.
    >>

    >> Mort Linder

    > The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

    Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 19, 2011
  7. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/12/2011 4:47 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
    > On 12/12/2011 00:00, Savageduck wrote:

    > That is clearly a post hoc justification of an untenable position.
    >>>
    >>> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
    >>> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
    >>> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
    >>> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
    >>> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
    >>> certainly is not obvious.

    > Ironic that some pocketable cameras now have sensor sizes to rival
    > DSLRs. The main thing missing are fast wide angle lenses.
    >>
    >> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

    > I suspect that is the case. They probably should ban tripods though in a
    > confined space with a 160 step spiral staircase.
    >
    > "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
    > and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs. They give you a certificate
    > to say you have climbed it afterwards. Hooke once had a telescope
    > running down the middle of it (but traffic vibrations made it useless).
    >
    > http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623284
    >
    > The problem for organisers in the UK is that we are now bristling with
    > ambulance chasing lawyers and professional trippers and slippers who
    > attend these sorts of open days with a view to insurance fraud.

    No limited to the UK. In NY Banana Peel Annie became infamous, (pre
    security cameras,) until a local market starting watching her every time.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 19, 2011
  8. Mort

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.
    >>

    > Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

    Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
    inextricably linked! :)

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Dec 20, 2011
  9. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/19/2011 7:36 PM, Trevor wrote:
    > "PeterN"<> wrote in message
    >>> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.
    >>>

    >> Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

    > Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
    > inextricably linked! :)

    One implies an "I don't care about anybody else" attitude. they are not
    necessarily the same.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 20, 2011
  10. Mort

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message

    >>> Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

    >> Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
    >> inextricably linked! :)

    > One implies an "I don't care about anybody else" attitude. they are not
    > necessarily the same.

    I didn't say they were the SAME, I said they were inextricably linked. ie.
    their arrogance comes mainly from their ignorance.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Dec 20, 2011
  11. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/19/2011 9:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-12-19 18:22:52 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 12/19/2011 7:36 PM, Trevor wrote:
    >>> "PeterN"<> wrote in message

    >>> Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
    >>> inextricably linked! :)

    >> One implies an "I don't care about anybody else" attitude. they are
    >> not necessarily the same.

    > ...but then there is always ignorant bureaucratic arrogance, which seems
    > to be exercised at all levels of bureaucratic machinery.
    >
    > The "I have the authorizing rubber stamp, and the authority to use it.
    > You do not, and I don't care what your problem is" attitude is alive and
    > well at all levels on the other side of the bureaucratic counter.

    Many years ago someone forged my client's signature on a car lease for a
    Rolls. We informed the bank, supplied them with the identity of the
    forger, and requested that if they felt obligated to report the
    "delinquency" to any credit reporting agency, they also inform that
    agency about the forgery.
    They reported the delinquency in a routine manner. We brought suit. the
    bank admitted all, but on the grounds that they only filed the agency
    report because my client's claim was "not on their form."
    the suit was quickly settled.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 20, 2011
  12. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/20/2011 4:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
    > "PeterN"<> wrote in message

    >>> Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
    >>> inextricably linked! :)

    >> One implies an "I don't care about anybody else" attitude. they are not
    >> necessarily the same.

    > I didn't say they were the SAME, I said they were inextricably linked. ie.
    > their arrogance comes mainly from their ignorance.

    Not necessarily. All to often their arrogance comes from a sense of
    entitlement and power.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 20, 2011
  13. Mort

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >> I didn't say they were the SAME, I said they were inextricably linked.
    >> ie.
    >> their arrogance comes mainly from their ignorance.
    >>

    > Not necessarily. All to often their arrogance comes from a sense of
    > entitlement and power.

    Right, *ignorance* of their true worth!

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Dec 21, 2011
  14. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/20/2011 9:24 PM, Trevor wrote:
    > "PeterN"<> wrote in message
    >>> I didn't say they were the SAME, I said they were inextricably linked.
    >>> ie.
    >>> their arrogance comes mainly from their ignorance.
    >>>

    >> Not necessarily. All to often their arrogance comes from a sense of
    >> entitlement and power.

    > Right, *ignorance* of their true worth!

    You don't need to grasp at straws. Many know exactly what they are
    doing. The have an f em attitude.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 21, 2011
  15. Mort

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not necessarily. All to often their arrogance comes from a sense of
    >>> entitlement and power.

    >> Right, *ignorance* of their true worth!
    >>

    > You don't need to grasp at straws. Many know exactly what they are doing.
    > The have an f em attitude.

    Shit I'M not grasping at staws. How do you think they aquire their F-Em
    attitude? Overinflated ego due to willful ignorance of their TRUE self
    worth!

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Dec 22, 2011
  16. Mort

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/21/2011 9:03 PM, Trevor wrote:
    > "PeterN"<> wrote in message

    >>> Right, *ignorance* of their true worth!
    >>>

    >> You don't need to grasp at straws. Many know exactly what they are doing.
    >> The have an f em attitude.

    > Shit I'M not grasping at staws. How do you think they aquire their F-Em
    > attitude? Overinflated ego due to willful ignorance of their TRUE self
    > worth!

    Read Fowler. You will find out what I mean. Don't even think of twisting
    my words

    <http://www.bartleby.com/>

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 22, 2011
  17. In rec.photo.digital Andrew Reilly <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:47:04 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

    >> "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
    >> and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs.

    > Neither the bell tower in Brugge (366 steps) nor the Torrazzo of Cremona
    > (487 steps) had any issue with DSLRs either, from memory. Don't think
    > that I would have wanted to try carrying a tripod up either though, and
    > didn't. (The spirals get pretty steep and narrow towards the top!)

    I've been up a few ancient UK public monuments with very tiny cramped
    spiral stairs near the top which won't even easily permit the single
    file passage of large people or people wearing small backpacks (rather
    than carrying them by hand). But they have no objection to
    photographers struggling up with a large bag of lenses in one hand and a big
    tripod in the other. Which lots do.

    One of them no longer allows very large people up ever since a very
    large American tourist died near the top of a narrow three hundred
    step spiral stair of a heart attack, and the ambulance paramedics
    couldn't get the body back down the stairs. They had to call in rope
    access experts to use mountain rescue techniques to lower the body
    down the outside with ropes. But they're quite happy to let fit
    photographers struggle up with as much camera gear as they can carry.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Dec 30, 2011