Re: Brit DSLR ban lunacy gets even funnier

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John A., Dec 11, 2011.

  1. John A.

    John A. Guest

    John A., Dec 11, 2011

  2. John A.

    Trevor Guest

    "John A." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    >
    >>Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    >>
    >>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_officia
    >>ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

    > Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    > forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.

    IF that was the issue, that is what they would have said, but DSLR's without
    a tripod were banned apparently.
    It's a funny world we live in now where people who are paid big money to
    make decisions (including CEO's and politicians) are very often functionaly
    illiterate!
    When shown to be so, the spin starts in earnest :)

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Dec 11, 2011

  3. John A.

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    > >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.

    > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    > >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

    > Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    > forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.

    They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.

    RichA, Dec 11, 2011
  4. John A.

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:26:03 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A. <> wrote:
    : > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    : > >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    : >
    : > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    : > >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
    : >
    : > Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    : > forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.
    :
    : They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.

    Preferably a wooden one disguised as a walking stick. Unscrew the faux ebony
    cap, and there's your mounting bolt. No, I don't know who makes them, but
    somebody must. :^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 11, 2011
  5. John A.

    John A. Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:32:00 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:26:03 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >: On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A. <> wrote:
    >: > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    >: > >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    >: >
    >: > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    >: > >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
    >: >
    >: > Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    >: > forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.
    >:
    >: They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    >
    >Preferably a wooden one disguised as a walking stick. Unscrew the faux ebony
    >cap, and there's your mounting bolt. No, I don't know who makes them, but
    >somebody must. :^)

    Just don't accidentally bring your sword cane.

    John A., Dec 11, 2011
  6. John A.

    Irwell Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:29:00 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-12-11 14:19:57 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2011-12-11 13:32:00 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:26:03 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >>> : On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A. <> wrote:
    >>> : > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    >>> : > >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    >>> : >
    >>> : > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    >>> : > >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
    >>> : >
    >>> : > Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    >>> : > forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.
    >>> :
    >>> : They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    >>>
    >>> Preferably a wooden one disguised as a walking stick. Unscrew the faux ebony
    >>> cap, and there's your mounting bolt. No, I don't know who makes them, but
    >>> somebody must. :^)
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> This niche has filled to over flowing:
    >> < http://www.greyeagletrader.com/custom/cart/edit.asp?p=127225 >
    >> These guys have several options, one of which is the
    >> walkingstick/monopod/flute...
    >> < http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/monopod-walking-stick.html >
    >>
    >> or perhaps a little higher tech...
    >> < http://www.trek-tech.com/products/trekpods.html >

    > It seems that others have resorted to the DIY solution;
    > <
    > http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/merlin_stick.html

    I modified a monopod to double as a walking stick
    by inserting a nut inside a wooden handle, which is then
    screwed onto the ball-head of the monopod. I have carried
    this combination in my travel case on my last two or
    three trips.

    I have never used it either as a monopod or a walking
    stick, but it does add a little security for an old beezer.

    Irwell, Dec 11, 2011
  7. John A.

    Irwell Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:19:57 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-12-11 13:32:00 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:26:03 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >>: On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A. <> wrote:
    >>: > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    >>: > >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    >>: >
    >>: > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    >>: > >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
    >>: >
    >>: > Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    >>: > forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.
    >>:
    >>: They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    >>
    >> Preferably a wooden one disguised as a walking stick. Unscrew the faux ebony
    >> cap, and there's your mounting bolt. No, I don't know who makes them, but
    >> somebody must. :^)
    >>
    >> Bob

    > This niche has filled to over flowing:
    > < http://www.greyeagletrader.com/custom/cart/edit.asp?p=127225 >

    That greyeagle one looks like the Bulgarian poison
    umbrella used to take out someone in London a few years ago.

    Irwell, Dec 11, 2011
  8. John A.

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Dec 11, 7:26 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A. <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    > > >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.

    > > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o....
    > > >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

    > > Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    > > forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.

    > They have this rule in many museums.  Just use a monopod if needed.

    They are a little unstable, I'd take 3 along ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Dec 12, 2011
  9. John A.

    Robert Coe Guest

    : wrote:
    :
    : >On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A. <> wrote:
    : >> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich <> wrote:
    : >> >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    : >>
    : >> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    : >> >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
    : >>
    : >> Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    : >> forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.
    : >
    : >They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    :
    : I had problems using a monopod in the Auckland museum when I took
    : photographs of a large canoe for the 'Museum' SI some months back. I
    : had to talk my way in.

    Well, the next time you're in Massachusetts, I don't think the New Bedford
    Whaling Museum will hassle you at all. My wife and I took countless pictures
    the last time we were there. We didn't use a monopod, but I don't think the
    staff would even have noticed if we had.

    The half-scale whaling ship and the reconstructed whale skeletons are the most
    photogenic items, but there are some interesting documents and ships'
    decorations as well.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 12, 2011
  10. John A.

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/11/2011 4:32 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:26:03 -0800 (PST), RichA<> wrote:
    > : On Dec 11, 4:30 am, John A.<> wrote:
    > :> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:36:29 -0600, Rich<> wrote:
    > :> >Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
    > :>
    > :> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/DSLR_ban_Row_escalates_as_o...
    > :> >ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
    > :>
    > :> Yeesh! If the issue is people carrying or using tripods on the stairs,
    > :> forbid carrying or using tripods on the stairs. KISS.
    > :
    > : They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    >
    > Preferably a wooden one disguised as a walking stick. Unscrew the faux ebony
    > cap, and there's your mounting bolt. No, I don't know who makes them, but
    > somebody must. :^)

    does the handle also conceal a pistol?

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Dec 12, 2011
  11. John A.

    Trevor Guest

    "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    > They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.

    }They are a little unstable, I'd take 3 along ;-)

    With ISO's of 6400 and over giving decent results on good DSLRs, plus VR/IS
    lenses, no need to worry that tripods are banned in most museums and similar
    public exhibitions AFAIC.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Dec 13, 2011
  12. John A.

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Dec 13, 1:55 am, "Trevor" <> wrote:
    > "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message

    > > They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.

    > }They are a little unstable, I'd take 3 along ;-)
    >
    > With ISO's of 6400 and over giving decent results on good DSLRs, plus VR/IS
    > lenses, no need to worry that tripods are banned in most museums and similar
    > public exhibitions AFAIC.

    Sometimes decent results aren;t good enough. I'm sure we all try to
    use
    ISOs of under 6400 where possible, otherwise tridpods and the like
    would have little use.
    When the same sensors works as well at 100 as it does at 6400 then
    maybe tripods
    and they like won;t be needed as much.

    Whisky-dave, Dec 13, 2011
  13. John A.

    > } They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    > }They are a little unstable, I'd take 3 along ;-)
    >
    > With ISO's of 6400 and over giving decent results on good DSLRs, plus
    > VR/IS
    > lenses, no need to worry that tripods are banned in most museums and
    > similar
    > public exhibitions AFAIC.

    }Sometimes decent results aren;t good enough. I'm sure we all try to
    }use ISOs of under 6400 where possible, otherwise tridpods and the like
    }would have little use.

    IF the museum is employing me I'm damned sure they'll allow me to use my
    tripod!
    If not, then you work with what you can to get the best picture in the
    circumstances. At least I can take pictures in many museums, unlike most art
    galleries. and many other displays.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Dec 14, 2011
  14. John A.

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Dec 14, 7:44 am, "Trevor" <> wrote:
    > "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message

    > > } They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    > > }They are a little unstable, I'd take 3 along ;-)

    > > With ISO's of 6400 and over giving decent results on good DSLRs, plus
    > > VR/IS
    > > lenses, no need to worry that tripods are banned in most museums and
    > > similar
    > > public exhibitions AFAIC.

    > }Sometimes decent results aren;t good enough. I'm sure we all try to
    > }use ISOs of under 6400 where possible, otherwise tridpods and the like
    > }would have little use.
    >
    > IF the museum is employing me I'm damned sure they'll allow me to use my
    > tripod!

    Me too, and I'd insist that I'd be allowed to take photos out of hours
    or at least
    not have the public in my way.

    > If not, then you work with what you can to get the best picture in the
    > circumstances. At least I can take pictures in many museums, unlike most art
    > galleries. and many other displays.

    But then what happens if you're not allowed a tripod or a DLSR.

    Whisky-dave, Dec 14, 2011
  15. John A.

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:44:58 +1100, "Trevor" <> wrote:

    >"Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    >> } They have this rule in many museums. Just use a monopod if needed.
    >> }They are a little unstable, I'd take 3 along ;-)
    >>
    >> With ISO's of 6400 and over giving decent results on good DSLRs, plus
    >> VR/IS
    >> lenses, no need to worry that tripods are banned in most museums and
    >> similar
    >> public exhibitions AFAIC.

    >}Sometimes decent results aren;t good enough. I'm sure we all try to
    >}use ISOs of under 6400 where possible, otherwise tridpods and the like
    >}would have little use.
    >

    >IF the museum is employing me I'm damned sure they'll allow me to use my
    >tripod!

    Particularly since they're very likely to not allow flash.

    John A., Dec 14, 2011