Re: brain dumps

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Beoweolf, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Beoweolf

    Beoweolf Guest

    Tests are not and never were meant to be fair. Fair would be open book,
    unlimited time and no grades. Tests are designed to exclude. As long as the
    test excludes on the basis of merit (in this case knowledge) then it can be
    reasonably link as a predictor of competence in the subject being tested.

    The tests allow for a reasonable percentage of false answers, 100% is not
    the only passing score, despite the clamoring of people who have already
    achieved MCSE or MCSA status, at the current pass/fail level, it would not
    be in the best interests of employers or candidates.

    Braindumps are "bad" because you are not being tested. The person who took
    the test and provided the "correct(?)" answers was tested, then passes the
    answers on to you. Test simulations (Transcender, Measure-up, etc) do
    provide a similar experience..no different than practice SAT tests, for
    college entrance or questions at the end of a chapter in your manual...but
    not the current test or current answers. So, what would be a good test of a
    Brain dump vs. a test simulation? If it is advertised as "exact" answers as
    on the test...it is a Brain Dump. Think of it like your system
    responsibilities are the same as your new Porsche; one technician actually
    worked on cars for some period of time, upgraded his skills by reading
    manuals, observing more experienced techs and attended and successfully
    completed a factory approved test on what is wrong with your vehicle.
    Another got a look at the test and the correct answers some time before the
    test, and passed with the same grade. Your $100,000 piece of fine machinery
    needs to be inspected, the brakes repaired for that next 280Km blast down
    the crowded Autobahn. Who do you want working on your car, who do you trust
    when he says, that the funny noise you heard or vibration you felt was,
    "it's not a problem"? Now take that same experience and apply it to a
    business owner that relies on maximum uptime for his staff to perform and
    respond to daily customer, stocking and sales issues. Who do you think he
    wants running his companies life's blood?

    When you work with a fellow professional, you expect him or her to pull
    their own weight, how fair is it to have all the hard, technical shuffled
    off to one person, when everyone is supposedly equally trained and equally
    compensated?
    "owen" <> wrote in message
    > hi.
    >
    > I have a dumb question, but I ask because I am new to this and I honestly
    > dont know.
    >
    > Can someone please explain to me what exactly are "brain dumps" and what

    is
    > so bad about them? why are they different to say, Transcender.? Arent

    they

    Beoweolf, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Beoweolf

    Techie Guest

    Well said Beowolf

    --
    Techie
    A+, Network+, MCP, MCNGP #21

    Techie, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Beoweolf

    Bro Guest

    You have way too much time on your hands.

    Bro, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Beoweolf

    Omar Rizwan Guest

    That isn't remotely relevant.