Re: bootp with cisco 2621

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jonathan fernandes, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. > >
    > >>Did you disable spanning tree on the switch ?
    > >>

    > > Yes. I did disabled it for the interface VLAN1, which by default includes all
    > > the ports. I don't know spanning tree well but why does it matter?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Weiguang

    If you've had the linux box, the 2621 and the 3524 connected for > 45
    seconds, you should be fine. You would enable portfast on the 3524, on
    the 2 ports that have your linux box and 2621 connected.

    Have you tried replacing the 2621 with, say another PC to see all is
    in order ?
    jonathan fernandes, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Hi,
    from memory disabling spanning tree on a vlan interface will not help,
    you physiclly need to do it on the port it self, when you turn your
    router on does the port on the 3548 become orange for 30 sec or does
    it go to green straight away, i know when you want the host on the
    other side of the router to get bootp requests you need a ip helper
    address, this may be something to look at. also check that your not
    getting any replies from any other bootp server???"may be possible".

    Mike

    Michael Hatzis, Jul 9, 2003

  3. jonathan fernandes

    Weiguang Shi Guest

    Thanks Mike.

    In article <>, Michael Hatzis
    wrote:
    >Hi,
    >from memory disabling spanning tree on a vlan interface will not help,
    >you physiclly need to do it on the port it self,

    OK. I went to each port and did a
    no spanning-tree

    but these configuration changes didn't show up when I said
    show running-config

    >when you turn your router on does the port on the 3548 become orange for 30
    >sec or does it go to green straight away,

    Mine is a 3524 switch and I don't remember seeing orange lights.

    >i know when you want the host on the other side of the router to get bootp
    >requests you need a ip helper address, this may be something to look at.

    Yes. I set the ip helper address for the vlan interface. The fast ethernet
    interfaces, as layer 2 switch interfaces should, have no IP addresses and there
    is no way to setup ip helper addresses on these interfaces.

    >also check that your not getting any replies from any other bootp
    >server???"may be possible".

    There is only one server. The layout of the experiment is like this:

    +-----------+ +------+ +------+
    | bootp | Fa| |Fa Fa| |
    | server +-------------+ 3524 +--------------+ 2621 |
    |(Linux Box)| 0/1| |0/2 0/0| |
    +-----------+ +------+ +------+

    Fa: FastEthernet

    The problem here is that I can see clearly using tcpdump that the bootp server
    at the PC is responding to every request from the bootp client of 2621. But it
    seems that the bootp client ignores the replies and keeps sending requests as
    if nothing happened. It's weird because I successfully set up the 3524 using
    exactly the same method.

    I am thinking that I might have committed some rudimentary blunders as this is
    the first time I am to setup routers/switches.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Weiguang
    Weiguang Shi, Jul 10, 2003
  4. i will try this tonight, can you send a copy of your config and what
    version of linux boop your using.

    on the switch you should be doing a spanning-tree portfast under each
    interface, is that what you are doing.

    Michael Hatzis, Jul 11, 2003