Re: booting from USB hard drives.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. In message <sFZZl.127103$1.easynews.com>, fakename
    wrote:

    > My Dell bios setup has a setting to turn on booting from USB devices.
    > Next to this feature is some help notes that indicate clearly that not
    > all USB devices are bootable which I tend to believe.

    All USB storage devices should be bootable, I don't see why they should be
    able to tell the difference.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On Jun 17, 5:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <sFZZl.127103$1.easynews.com>, fakename
    > wrote:
    >
    > > My Dell bios setup has a setting to turn on booting from USB devices.
    > > Next to this feature is some help notes that indicate clearly that not
    > > all USB devices are bootable which I tend to believe.

    Correct...

    > All USB storage devices should be bootable, I don't see why they should be
    > able to tell the difference.

    Some are not, for instance Sony's external dvd writer is not....I had
    to open an external DSE harddrive case up, shove in an ide dvd reader
    and it booted fine...

    As far as I can tell all usb sticks are, at least so far Ive not met a
    usb stick that is not bootable anyway....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 21, 2009

  3. In message <03df3b94-4fe1-4f46-85c6-
    >, thingy wrote:

    > On Jun 17, 5:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> All USB storage devices should be bootable, I don't see why they should
    >> be able to tell the difference.

    > Some are not, for instance Sony's external dvd writer is not...

    What's different about it? Surely it's basically a common-or-garden PATA or
    SATA drive in an external USB enclosure, right?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 21, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> In message <03df3b94-4fe1-4f46-85c6-

    > >, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 17, 5:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>> All USB storage devices should be bootable, I don't see why they should
    >>> be able to tell the difference.

    >> Some are not, for instance Sony's external dvd writer is not...

    > What's different about it? Surely it's basically a common-or-garden PATA
    > or SATA drive in an external USB enclosure, right?

    Was curious about that myself. Any more info thingy

    Lodi
    Lodi, Jun 21, 2009