Re: Boot item question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Mar 4, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    lid wrote in

    > I am booting windows 2000 on a PC, I am exploring the use of a ramdrive,
    > I want the boot process to copy a folder off the hard drive to the ram
    > drive once things are stable.
    >
    > How does one copy a folder from the C to the B automatically as a step
    > in the boot process?

    You add a batch file to startup. This batch file has two lines in it.
    1: @echo off
    2: <your copy command>

    This requires knowledge of the full dos path of the directory in question
    and the resulting drive letter of the ram drive naturally.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 4, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    DNA Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:
    > lid wrote in
    >
    >> I am booting windows 2000 on a PC, I am exploring the use of a
    >> ramdrive, I want the boot process to copy a folder off the hard
    >> drive to the ram drive once things are stable.
    >>
    >> How does one copy a folder from the C to the B automatically as a
    >> step in the boot process?
    >>

    > You add a batch file to startup. This batch file has two lines in it.
    > 1: @echo off
    > 2: <your copy command>
    >
    > This requires knowledge of the full dos path of the directory in
    > question and the resulting drive letter of the ram drive naturally.

    Can you provide a hypothetical example? As if it were you wanting to do it.

    DNA, Mar 4, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 00:38:42 +0100, "DNA" <>
    wrote:

    >Can you provide a hypothetical example? As if it were you wanting to do it.

    See my previous reply.. Say your RAM drive is G: and you want to copy
    the contents of C:\copythisdirectory:

    (The @ECHO OFF isn't needed until you're confident everything's
    working - it simply turns off showing the contents of your command):

    copy C:\copythisdirectory G:\

    There's other options depending on your needs, but that's the simple
    start for it....

    Evan

    Evan Platt, Mar 4, 2009
  4. chuckcar

    DNA Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 00:38:42 +0100, "DNA" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can you provide a hypothetical example? As if it were you wanting to
    >> do it.

    > See my previous reply.. Say your RAM drive is G: and you want to copy
    > the contents of C:\copythisdirectory:
    >
    > (The @ECHO OFF isn't needed until you're confident everything's
    > working - it simply turns off showing the contents of your command):
    >
    > copy C:\copythisdirectory G:\
    >
    > There's other options depending on your needs, but that's the simple
    > start for it....

    I'll check out the link in your other post.

    Won't any formulation of either a home rolled batch file or autoexec.bat
    depend on whether or not the RamDrive has been 'found' at the point
    initiation takes place? Presumably delays in the *.bat file can be applied -
    yes, of course they can, but knowing when the RD has 'connected' is the
    conundrum, I guess.

    DNA, Mar 5, 2009
  5. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 01:01:48 +0100, "DNA" <>
    wrote:

    >I'll check out the link in your other post.
    >
    >Won't any formulation of either a home rolled batch file or autoexec.bat
    >depend on whether or not the RamDrive has been 'found' at the point
    >initiation takes place? Presumably delays in the *.bat file can be applied -
    >yes, of course they can, but knowing when the RD has 'connected' is the
    >conundrum, I guess.

    Hmm.... True.

    Not sure if this will work. But you could create a autorun.inf file:

    [autorun]
    open=autoexec.bat

    and put the autoexec.bat on the root of the ram drive. Not sure that
    would work though.

    Evan Platt, Mar 5, 2009
  6. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "DNA" <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> lid wrote in
    >>
    >>> I am booting windows 2000 on a PC, I am exploring the use of a
    >>> ramdrive, I want the boot process to copy a folder off the hard
    >>> drive to the ram drive once things are stable.
    >>>
    >>> How does one copy a folder from the C to the B automatically as a
    >>> step in the boot process?
    >>>

    >> You add a batch file to startup. This batch file has two lines in it.
    >> 1: @echo off
    >> 2: <your copy command>
    >>
    >> This requires knowledge of the full dos path of the directory in
    >> question and the resulting drive letter of the ram drive naturally.

    > Can you provide a hypothetical example? As if it were you wanting to do
    > it.

    I *did*. You open up msconfig and add in the name/path you give the batch file.
    I stated *everything* but one dos command. How much more detailed could it get?

    You don't *know* dos do you?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 5, 2009
  7. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 00:39:39 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    Please ignore chucktard. He's an idiot....

    >I *did*. You open up msconfig and add in the name/path you give the batch file.
    >I stated *everything* but one dos command. How much more detailed could it get?

    No, you didn't provide a hypothetical example.
    <your copy command> isn't a hypothetical example.

    >You don't *know* dos do you?

    Kindly STFU.

    Evan Platt, Mar 5, 2009
  8. chuckcar

    DNA Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 01:01:48 +0100, "DNA" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'll check out the link in your other post.
    >>
    >> Won't any formulation of either a home rolled batch file or
    >> autoexec.bat depend on whether or not the RamDrive has been 'found'
    >> at the point initiation takes place? Presumably delays in the *.bat
    >> file can be applied - yes, of course they can, but knowing when the
    >> RD has 'connected' is the conundrum, I guess.

    > Hmm.... True.
    >
    > Not sure if this will work. But you could create a autorun.inf file:
    >
    > [autorun]
    > open=autoexec.bat
    >

    > and put the autoexec.bat on the root of the ram drive. Not sure that
    > would work though.

    Ta. I'll look at that possibility and other offerings you've suggested.

    Strange, innit, I'm not even the OP, but also wondered how that could be
    done.

    DNA, Mar 5, 2009
  9. chuckcar

    Keyser Söze Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in message

    > "DNA" <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>> lid wrote in

    >>> You add a batch file to startup. This batch file has two lines in
    >>> it. 1: @echo off
    >>> 2: <your copy command>
    >>>
    >>> This requires knowledge of the full dos path of the directory in
    >>> question and the resulting drive letter of the ram drive naturally.

    >> Can you provide a hypothetical example? As if it were you wanting to
    >> do it.
    >>

    > I *did*.

    Lie to yourself for a living do ya?

    > You open up msconfig and add in the name/path you give the
    > batch file.

    "msconfig" was not previously mentioned in your first post.

    > I stated *everything*

    Not "msconfig" or an example of how the full path and copy transaction would
    need to be displayed, you didn't.

    > but one dos command.

    So, give it to him, hyperthetically.

    > How much more detailed could it get?

    You have quite clearly detected that the OP and subsequent poster know
    jack-shit about how to do it, so why don't you show them properly when the
    opportunity presents itself?

    You appear to thrive on others lack of knowledge so as to bolster your own;
    That's referred to as taking advantage, or where I come from, you're taking
    the piss!

    Now, put the **** up or STFU, you prized twat.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Mar 5, 2009
  10. chuckcar

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >You don't *know* dos do you?

    idiot and you don't know about ramdrive.sys, oh it's dos by the way.

    To the OP, I use SuperSpeed.RamDisk.Plus
    http://www.superspeed.com/servers/ramdisk.php
    there is a key maker at
    http://thepiratebay.org/search/SuperSpeed.RamDisk.Plus.v8.0/0/99/0:

    I used to use another free one I found. - can't remember the name, of
    it but It would disappear if I changed one of my partitions NTFS.

    I also don't run a server, just a basic XP OS.

    --

    www.coffeeandcigarettes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/thefuture1.jpg

    , Mar 5, 2009
  11. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>You don't *know* dos do you?

    > idiot and you don't know about ramdrive.sys, oh it's dos by the way.

    I've *known* of it and used it since before Korea made cars as a matter of
    fact. Since the mid 80's. My point was directed to the responder *not* the
    OP, who seems to be another drive-by.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 6, 2009
  12. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 03:12:04 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >I've *known* of it and used it since before Korea made cars as a matter of
    >fact.

    Since chucktard killfiled me, someone please reply so he can see he's
    made an ass of himself again.

    Korea started making cars in 1955.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_automobile_industry

    "Korea's automobile history began in August 1955, when Choi Mu-seong,
    a Korean auto mechanic, and three of his brothers, mounted an engine
    on a modified US Army Jeep to manufacture its first car, called the
    "Sibal".

    What a maroon.

    Evan Platt, Mar 6, 2009
  13. chuckcar

    walter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 03:12:04 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've *known* of it and used it since before Korea made cars as a
    >> matter of fact.

    > Since chucktard killfiled me, someone please reply so he can see he's
    > made an ass of himself again.

    OK

    walter, Mar 6, 2009
  14. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "walter" <> wrote in

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 03:12:04 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've *known* of it and used it since before Korea made cars as a
    >>> matter of fact.

    >> Since chucktard killfiled me, someone please reply so he can see he's
    >> made an ass of himself again.

    > OK
    >

    >> Korea started making cars in 1955.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_automobile_industry
    >>
    >> "Korea's automobile history began in August 1955, when Choi Mu-seong,
    >> a Korean auto mechanic, and three of his brothers, mounted an engine
    >> on a modified US Army Jeep to manufacture its first car, called the
    >> "Sibal".
    >>
    >> What a maroon.

    Still doesn't mean *you* know shit aside from how to find wikipaedia.
    Hardly rocket science or applicable to the issue at hand.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 6, 2009
  15. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 04:22:40 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Still doesn't mean *you* know shit aside from how to find wikipaedia.

    I know a hell of a lot more than you. So do most people in this group.

    >Hardly rocket science or applicable to the issue at hand.

    If you're going to state facts, get them correct.

    You are a true moron. Plain and simple full stop.

    Evan Platt, Mar 6, 2009
  16. chuckcar

    Guest

    wrote:

    > chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> You don't *know* dos do you?

    > idiot and you don't know about ramdrive.sys, oh it's dos by the way.

    > To the OP, I use SuperSpeed.RamDisk.Plus
    > http://www.superspeed.com/servers/ramdisk.php
    > there is a key maker at
    > http://thepiratebay.org/search/SuperSpeed.RamDisk.Plus.v8.0/0/99/0:

    > I used to use another free one I found. - can't remember the name, of
    > it but It would disappear if I changed one of my partitions NTFS.

    > I also don't run a server, just a basic XP OS.

    OK, I got enought hints reading thru the chaff for me to sit down and
    relearn some stuff

    Copy didnt seem to work in the various tests I tried, But Xcopy did
    after an experimentation session actually copy a folder to the Ramdrive.

    neither seemed to work for me when using the original folder path
    \program files\xxx\yyy\ but copying the files to another folder in
    \temp\xxx\ did work Guess that [space] was too much for windows
    2000.

    So now I have a bat file that has done the trick each time I tried it.

    Now to get the boot process in the proper order of execution so that the
    ram drive gets built then the bat file gets executed well after the
    ramdrive is done building its space

    , Mar 13, 2009
  17. chuckcar

    Guest

    lid wrote:

    >when using the original folder path
    > \program files\xxx\yyy\ but copying the files to another folder in
    > \temp\xxx\ did work Guess that [space] was too much for windows
    >2000.

    With Win2K you need to add quotation marks around a path with a space
    "x:\program files\xxx\yyy\"

    As a side note, that I will never get to use again
    x:\progra"m f"iles\xxx\yyy\
    would work just as well... just as long as that space has quotation
    marks around it :)

    --

    20 Pictures That Give Rednecks A Bad Name
    http://tinyurl.com/bsleua

    , Mar 13, 2009
  18. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    lid wrote in news::

    > Now to get the boot process in the proper order of execution so that the
    > ram drive gets built then the bat file gets executed well after the
    > ramdrive is done building its space.

    Then you just put them in that order in startup. You *will* have to format
    the ram drive. Just put it in the batch file for the copy just before you
    actually copy. Make *sure* you get the drive letter right <g>. BTW the driveby
    comment was due to the fact that *days* went by (8 actually) between your first
    post and the first reply. We get a *lot* of people posting here that never
    reply - not just due to trolls either, they seem to forget they posted
    from all indications.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 13, 2009
  19. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:38:01 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >BTW the driveby comment was due to the fact that *days* went by (8 actually) between your first
    >post and the first reply.

    WTF?? Cluelessness at its finest.

    Evan Platt, Mar 13, 2009
  20. chuckcar

    Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 04:22:40 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Still doesn't mean *you* know shit aside from how to find wikipaedia.

    >I know a hell of a lot more than you. So do most people in this group.

    >>Hardly rocket science or applicable to the issue at hand.

    >If you're going to state facts, get them correct.
    >
    >You are a true moron. Plain and simple full stop.

    ..
    --

    Ever run wire?
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5169224/what-in-wired-hell-is-this