Re: Boot Disk Query

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Ben Smith, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Ben Smith

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <4249a32b$0$83068$>,
    ial says...
    > Subject: Boot Disk Query
    > From: "Chris M" <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm currently studying for 70-290 and I have a small query about boot
    > floppies.
    >
    > The books that I have state that you can create a boot disk by simply quick
    > formatting a floppy and copying NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR and BOOT.INI.

    Not quite.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816793

    BTW - this was the 4th entry from the top when searching
    http://support.microsoft.com on "ntldr"

    Ben Smith, Mar 29, 2005

  2. Ben Smith

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <4249b2ff$0$83052$>,
    ial says...
    > "Ben Smith" <> wrote in message
    > >> The books that I have state that you can create a boot disk by simply
    > >> quick
    > >> formatting a floppy and copying NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR and BOOT.INI.
    > >>

    > > Not quite.
    > >
    > > See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816793

    > Thanks for the response Ben. I have read the link, but I must be missing
    > something. OK, the article says that I *might* have a NTBootdd.sys file, but
    > not necessarily. My server did not have an Ntbootdd.sys file.

    This file is only present and used if you have a scsi controller.

    > The boot.ini file already points to the right place since it was copied
    > straight from the server I'm trying to boot.
    >
    > I really cannot see what steps I've missed. Any pointers will be much
    > appreciated.

    IIRC, you get a different error than NTLDR canoot be found if the
    boot.ini is wrong.

    Ben Smith, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Ben Smith

    Neil Guest

    did you hear Ben Smith <> say in

    >> Thanks for the response Ben. I have read the link, but I must be
    >> missing something. OK, the article says that I *might* have a
    >> NTBootdd.sys file, but not necessarily. My server did not have an
    >> Ntbootdd.sys file.

    > This file is only present and used if you have a scsi controller.

    actually only required if you have a SCSI controller AND the bios is not
    INT13 enabled. More often than not the NTBOOTDD.SYS file is not required.
    There are some oddities now with the PnP features of Windows that adds a
    SIGNATURE entry into the ARC naming paths that can really screw things
    up. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q227704/

    (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/res
    kit/en-us/Default.asp?
    url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-
    us/core/fnbb_str_njcp.asp

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/5b25x

    are also good reads though they are from the Win2000 reskit)

    >> The boot.ini file already points to the right place since it was
    >> copied straight from the server I'm trying to boot.
    >>
    >> I really cannot see what steps I've missed. Any pointers will be much
    >> appreciated.

    > IIRC, you get a different error than NTLDR canoot be found if the
    > boot.ini is wrong.

    I believe you get an NTOSKRNL.EXE not found...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - 'Bother,' said Pooh, as he took aim from behind the grassy knoll.

    Neil, Mar 29, 2005