Re: Book report (it took me 16 years to read the book )

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mara, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:47:42 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >BOOK REPORT
    >
    >by Little Philo T. Ogden GRADE 1
    >Teacher: Mrs. Setter
    >>Title of Book : Gravity's Rainbow

    >Author : Thomas Pynchon
    >
    >The book is an epistiological dialysis of the phenonomena of phreneological
    >dispensation based upon a Dionysian synthetic tautological excesiology.
    >Drawing upon the essence of the Platonical paradoxes of the Meno.
    >Pynchon poses the Modus Tolens argument for the face of war.
    >The normal vs. moribund sociological arguement microspically drawn to
    >continuum through the narrative of "Slothrop" proves to be one of the
    >most provoking Word War II discussions of the present era.

    Translation: I'll wait for the movie.

    --
    Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
    you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Apr 10, 2008

  2. Mara

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "Mara" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:47:42 -0500, "philo"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >BOOK REPORT
    >> >
    >> >by Little Philo T. Ogden GRADE 1
    >> >Teacher: Mrs. Setter
    >> >Author : Thomas Pynchon
    >> >
    >> >The book is an epistiological dialysis of the phenonomena
    >> >of

    > phreneological
    >> >dispensation based upon a Dionysian synthetic
    >> >tautological excesiology. Drawing upon the essence of the
    >> >Platonical paradoxes of the Meno. Pynchon poses the Modus
    >> >Tolens argument for the face of war. The normal vs.
    >> >moribund sociological arguement microspically drawn to
    >> >continuum through the narrative of "Slothrop" proves to
    >> >be one of the most provoking Word War II discussions of
    >> >the present era.

    >> Translation: I'll wait for the movie.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and
    >> torn, you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
    >> -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15,
    >> 1865

    > I doubt if Gravity's Rainbow will ever become a movie.
    >
    > Some folks asked me how I could keep track of what was
    > going on in the book...'
    > since it took me 16 years to read it.
    >
    > Considering I never knew what was going on in the first
    > place... it was not too difficult.
    >
    > I am still working on another book that I started reading
    > in 1963... I expect to finish is within the next five years
    > or so...

    Having read "V" and "The Crying of Lot 49" I do not intend to
    attempt "G's R" let alone his (possibly, I have a hard time
    keeping track of time) latest, IIRC something "about" the Mason
    Dixon line, apparently written in 150-year old American English.

    But last year I read "Remembrance of Things Past" for the second
    time, in less than 2 months. But stylistic concerns aside,
    Proust is piece of a madeleine compared to Pynchon, especially
    the 2nd time.

    I have no idea why I'm posting this.

    I have not forgotten my NY's resolutions.

    --
    The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
    plays with time.

    Karel Capek
    thanatoid, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Mara

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > About 4 years ago...a friend of mine who is a Kook artist
    > made a huge piece of artwork
    > depicting the mayor of our city. It was maybe ten feet
    > high.

    I had never heard the term "Kook artist". But I saw the story,
    your friend seems like a very groovy cat. I wish I were that
    kind of person, but a) no chance in hell b) I will probably be
    dead way before I reach that age.
    Too bad there was no pic of the piece. What did the mayor think
    about it, I wonder?

    > He built it in his back yard, then enlisted the help of a
    > slew of sub-kook's to help him erect it in his front yard.
    >
    > It was a cold day and I just wanted to get it installed and
    > to go home.
    >
    > A guy name Frank said that we needed to discuss exactly how
    > we were going to put it up...
    > but I would have none of that.
    >
    > I just yelled: allright everyone lets just grab it and put
    > it up there, we can always discuss later...how we did it
    > wrong!

    I used to plan things when there was still a reasonable chance
    they might turn out right. For about twenty years now I only
    think ahead about 3 days at a time max.

    I always thought Milwaukee must be kind of cool.

    Regards.

    thanatoid, Apr 10, 2008
  4. Mara

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:23:20 -0500, philo wrote:

    > But I have been practically everywhere in the US and have lived in
    > Eurpope too

    Eurpope? Would that be in Vatican City??? :)

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com
    Aardvark, Apr 11, 2008
  5. Mara

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    <SNP>

    > I can't believe I found the picture...here it is:
    >
    > http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/wattnorquist.jpg

    Thanks, I like it. Kind of a Van Gogh kind of mayor huh?

    > I took it , so I'm not in it...Bob is wearing the red hat
    >
    > Frank is the guy in front of the image (on the left)
    >
    > on the right, touching the piece is David Ruehl...they guy
    > who cut out the plywood and assembled it
    > and did most of the actual painting to Bob's
    > specifications.
    >
    > Bob is very laid back. An old hippie to be sure.

    That's exactly the impression I got.

    > If you went to his house and liked one of his paintings
    > he'd probably give it to you and say;
    > "Let me lay this on you man."

    :)

    <SNIP>

    > My taxes are about 20 times what I paid for rent back in
    > 1971 and I don't think there is going to be any backing
    > down on that one.

    That sounds terrible. And a little hard to comprehend. Oh well -
    the government has always been our friend, right?

    > Anyway I'm still glad I live here.

    Thanks for the info and the pic.

    I looked around your site and remembered visiting it before. I
    see your work is getting more abstract. Nice stuff, congrats on
    the exposition.

    I really liked the "smokers" photo. Has a nice totally real yet
    kind of dreamy feel to it.

    I don't smoke. Wish I did. Kind of hard (and kind of pointless)
    to start at 53.

    thanatoid, Apr 11, 2008